C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

At my wit's end!!! (Overheating)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
At my wit's end!!! (Overheating)

My 2013 C300 Sport (w204 M276) has been overheating for months and I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why. Parts are pretty pricey so I have been trying to figure out whats wrong before throwing parts on it. Well, I broke down and paid the dealer $120 to diagnose the problem for me so I didn't waste any money. They called today and said they couldn't say for sure. No codes, no error messages, no warnings. They weren't even able to get it to overheat after letting it run in the shop for 30 minutes. I will note that I havent seen it overheat for a few weeks since the weather has been cold, but it was very regular before that. They told its likely the thermostat or water pump. GEE THANKS! I KNEW THAT!

So I am here posting again hoping to get some more insight before I lose my mind!

Symtoms:

-Overheats ONLY at idle, usually when I have been driving and come to a stop more then 30-60 seconds.
-Much worse when the weather is warm and the a/c is running.
-I will stop the car, after 30-60 seconds the fan will start ramping up faster and faster, then the temp gauge will start rising.
-Note: If I start moving again, the temp ALWAYS immediately drops back down. It has NEVER overheated while moving.
-Since the temps have dropped, I haven't seen it overheat. I HAVE noticed that in the morning while warming up the car in the driveway, the motor will usually heat up to normal temps but the HVAC system will not pump out warm or hot air untilI I start moving. I blows fine, just cool air while its sitting in the driveway. As soon as I start moving, it heats up very quickly.

My thoughts: I am really leaning towards the water pump for a few reasons. I believe if the water pump isn't working properly, then while idle when its not pumping as it should, it would cause overheating and also explain why the HVAC isn't pumping hot air at idle. As soon as I give it more RPMs, the pump works harder and everything works as it should. It his flawed thinking?

Any helps appreciated!

TL;DR Car is overheating only at idle, always drops down when I start moving. In colder weather car will heat up at idle but won't pump hot air into the cabin until get moving. Dealer says its likely there thermostat or water pump... duh.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
Not thermostat because if it was stuck closed than temp wouldn’t drop when moving. If stuck open then it would warm up very slowly as it would immediately circulate fluid at startup.

Water pump would do exactly as you describe because water wouldn’t be circulating through heater core. I don’t get how it would start doing it when moving though.

I also cannot figure out how a tech can not diagnose the problem. That is the weirdest of all to me.

Just a note. On 2001 or so Vipers they made a water pump with a plastic shaft. It would break and do exactly this. Very hard to figure out because under high rpm it would start spinning. Idle no. Only could really tell after it was removed. Maybe something like that??
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by 95viper
Not thermostat because if it was stuck closed than temp wouldn’t drop when moving. If stuck open then it would warm up very slowly as it would immediately circulate fluid at startup.

Water pump would do exactly as you describe because water wouldn’t be circulating through heater core. I don’t get how it would start doing it when moving though.

I also cannot figure out how a tech can not diagnose the problem. That is the weirdest of all to me.

Just a note. On 2001 or so Vipers they made a water pump with a plastic shaft. It would break and do exactly this. Very hard to figure out because under high rpm it would start spinning. Idle no. Only could really tell after it was removed. Maybe something like that??
That is exactly what a few people have told, that it's possible the water pump impeller shaft is starting to slip, therefore its not operating enough at idle but at higher RPMs, its doing fine. Unfortunately the cost of a water pump is twice as much as the thermostat so I'm trying to be sure before choosing to go that direction. The service manager told me without taking the parts off they can't determine for sure. I am going to talk to them more when I pick it up tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
My car looks the same - pile of snow lol.

I guarantee it's not the thermostat.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:04 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
My car looks the same - pile of snow lol.

I guarantee it's not the thermostat.
What makes you say that? I am thinking the same thing but I would think the damn dealer would agree and they're still saying it could be.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Our thermostats fail safe open and the car stays about 10C cooler consistently compared to normal operating temp, no deviation.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 150 Likes on 130 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
It's the radiator fan. A thermostat would not cause these symptoms on our cars and if it was the water pump, it would do it all the time. If the impeller was damaged, well that means it's never going to work properly. A mechanical part can't just work on and off, it either does or doesn't.

I would look into the radiator fan and see if it's working properly. Could be the resistor not working when getting hot or the fan itself failing.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
It's the radiator fan. A thermostat would not cause these symptoms on our cars and if it was the water pump, it would do it all the time. If the impeller was damaged, well that means it's never going to work properly. A mechanical part can't just work on and off, it either does or doesn't.

I would look into the radiator fan and see if it's working properly. Could be the resistor not working when getting hot or the fan itself failing.
AGREE... If the cooling system works OK when moving, the only part not in play are the fans. The thermostat and water pump are working when moving and in many cases, the fans are not needed. Water pumps works or does not. Never heard of one that works part-time......
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

2007 cls550
Originally Posted by tommiett
AGREE... If the cooling system works OK when moving, the only part not in play are the fans. The thermostat and water pump are working when moving and in many cases, the fans are not needed. Water pumps works or does not. Never heard of one that works part-time......
Guys, This is just not true. If the impeller shaft is broken like the bs ones that Dodge used in 2001 on a Viper then it will sit at idle but as soon as the rpms spin up there is enough friction to move the pump. This is well documented so just google it.

Now I am absolutely not saying that this is the problem but something to consider and research more. If this was a problem on this car then we would be hearing about it on others so something to check out.

The fans are an an excellent choice to research but insane that a tech wouldn’t have identified that.

Thermostat no chance.

One reason why I go back to water pump is because he says heat doesn’t come out of vents until he is moving. What circulates warm coolant through the heater core? What does it that only circulates when car is moving?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 AM

2007 cls550
OP,
Let’s do a test to rule out this water pump possibility. —With the car warmed up and in “overheating mode”
- in park
- heat cool inside car

rev up engine and hold as if you were driving. What happens? Does heat start blowing warm? Does temp drop?

if both of those happen then it isn’t the thermostat (it isn’t anyways) or the fans. The fans wouldn’t start sending warm coolant through the heater core.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
This is a tough one because the dealer is kind of right. Circumstances dependent of course, it is typical of a water pump failing to not have enough pressure at low RPM and yet at higher RPM it can build up enough to get things cool. Also if the thermostat did go out and possibly it didn't open fully and sat only 1/3rd of the way at high RPM it can allow enough coolant to pass but at low RPM there isn't enough pressure to push past enough coolant. I wouldn't think it was the electric fan only because OP describes the fan ramping up and you can tell on our cars when the fan really ramps up cause it's loud, if anyone has programmed their ECU or anything like that then you know how loud it is.

Easy test for the most part is to feel the hose coming from the pump when vehicle is at operating temp, you should feel some pressure as you try to squeeze it and kind of a surge when you let go at idle. If there is no pressure feel at all that tends to point towards water pump. I'm assuming it's not loss of seals or anything since no coolant leaking from weep hole. All it takes is some cavitation to occur in the pump at low RPM.

That's a tricky one for sure but there is only so many things to check, radiator, coolant, fans, thermostat, water pump and heater core. If no leaks it has to be one of those causing a flow issue unless your engines waterjacket is blocked etc.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:57 PM

2013 C300 Sport
UPDATE!

Ok everyone, I picked the car up today and talked to them more. They did a pressure test with no leaks. Fans are working properly. They were also able to successfully open and close the thermostat through their scanning tool. Scan showed no previous faults relating to this and they weren't able to get it to overheat. On my way home I started thinking and I kicked on the a/c. As I got closer to home I heard the fans start to speed up. When I got in the driveway, I parked and sat with the a/c running. Surely enough I got it to overheat on video. I kicked the heart on before it hit 120 and it brought the temps right back down. And to answer previous questions, when I rev the RPMs up while its overheating, it DOES bring the temps down.

I called the dealer again (which has been cool as hell through this) and told her what happened. She is leaving toward the water pump now, but she's going to talk to the tech in the morning. The plan is from to take it for a drive in the morning and then stop back over there and try to get it to overheat for them, and she said they would do another scan free of charge. Wish me luck!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Here is the video for anyone interested. Skip in a little bit.

View My Video
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 PM

2007 cls550
Impeller shaft water pump
Old 01-26-2019, 01:51 PM

2013 C300 Sport
I took it back to the dealer today after I got it to overheat. The master tech looked at it again and watched it overheat. He still says it's the thermostat! They had a 2014 c300 in recently that had similar symptoms. It would stop blowing heat anytime it stopped. They replaced the thermostat and it worked. I'mnot sure what I am going to do yet, but I found the thermostat new for $130, so I'm probably going to start there. I'd rather risk wasting $130 than over $400 for there water pump.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:09 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2007 CLK550 Coupe, 2003 CL600, 2012
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Benz-parts/C350/Engine-Water-Pump/?year=2012&m=850&e=2010

Water pump is 80 bucks

Last edited by Kelvin Bellrose; 01-28-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 AM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Benz-parts/C350/Engine-Thermostat/?year=2012&m=850&e=2010

Thermostat is 180 bucks
Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 AM

maybe your rad is plugged

You can get a foam acidic radiator cleaner called ren o coil that you spray in the rad, let it sit then back flush from the inside. If you live in a buggy area this could be a thing.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 AM

2007 cls550
Originally Posted by zrheath
I took it back to the dealer today after I got it to overheat. The master tech looked at it again and watched it overheat. He still says it's the thermostat! They had a 2014 c300 in recently that had similar symptoms. It would stop blowing heat anytime it stopped. They replaced the thermostat and it worked. I'mnot sure what I am going to do yet, but I found the thermostat new for $130, so I'm probably going to start there. I'd rather risk wasting $130 than over $400 for there water pump.
So let’s think about this for a second. When starting car the thermostat is closed. Coolant stays inside the engine block and warms up. You watch the temp gauge go up. Around 190f (depends on car) the thermostat opens and allows water to circulate through radiator. Water pump pushes it around.

So their theory is that the thermostat is opening when you start moving but closes at idle and overheats?

Or are they saying that it is stuck closed? I thought you confirmed that they switched it open and closed earlier?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
The OP has a 2013 with the M276, so the parts are different. The thermostat is slightly cheaper, but the water pump is higher (at least for OEM parts).

In any event, the fact that turning on the A/C triggers the engine to overheat may be a pretty big clue. I wouldn't think turning on the A/C during the middle of winter would add much load to the cooling system and if the radiator was plugged or if it was the water pump (I don't think it's the thermostat, even though you may be due for one ), I would think the car would overheat all the time.

The next time it's warm enough to engage the A/C (or take it back to the dealer), after the car has been driven and is fully warmed up, open the hood and observe the serpentine belt/pulleys while someone turns the A/C on. Do you notice any changes in the belts rotational speed or excessive movement ect. Is the belt routed correctly, facing the right direction or in alignment? It's all I could come up with (with the info you've provided so far).
Old 01-28-2019, 03:40 PM

The parts I quoted are for M276

What about the auxiliary water pump?

Last edited by Kelvin Bellrose; 01-28-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelvin Bellrose
The parts I quoted are for M276

What about the auxiliary water pump?
Well, the thermostat is the correct part number, but the water pump you linked to on the FCP Euro site is for the M272. Apparently, they don't carry the M276 pump (only the gasket).

The auxiliary water pump is not meant assist in engine cooling.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Yes, the 2012 looks like it has either the m276 or m272 engines but 2013 is just m276

My 2012 has the m276 engine so the water pump they said would work on my car obviously would not fit. Good to know.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 W204
Originally Posted by 95viper
Impeller shaft water pump
^^^Yeah, we had this happen on a W210 diesel. Took FOREVER to figure out the cause. Crazy.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM

2013 C300 Sport
I went ahead and ordered a thermostat against my gut feeling, but also tasking the dealer's advice. It's the cheaper of the two options considering the part is cheaper and I can install it myself. Certain dealers sell it for $130, but I found one for $55 that someone had bought and didn't use. For that price it's worth a try. If that doesn't fix it, water pump it must be.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: At my wit's end!!! (Overheating)