C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 Mercedes C250 Coupe 1.8l turbo - dreaded P0340 code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250 1.8L turbo
Thanks. Makes sense. I didn't realize you can replace the timing chain without removing the upper timing cover. That will make the job a lot easier. I'll do that in the near future.

Nice to see there are really good people on this site that know these cars well. When I 1st started researching this problem all I saw was people that were ok with paying $6000 for a repair. No way!

Richard
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by azblk
This is the first time I am reading about the M271EVO tensioner being single use. When I changed the chain on my engine I bought a new tensioner as well but I did not reuse it after I found out about the wedge method. It is a little over 5000 miles since I did this repair and the car has not had any issues at all at least not yet.

BTW I have also seen some videos on Youtube where the tensioners have been removed and reset before being reused.
CBR944 beat me to explaining and honestly, explained the matter more clearly than I could have.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:06 AM

An update... Engine starts great and sounds fine.

Replaced the camshaft position sensors and camshaft adjuster magnets (parts from autohausaz) for good measure. But still throwing the P0016 sometimes. I think for now I'll just continue to drive it and listen closely for any increased rattling noise. If it gets worse I'll bite the bullet and replace the timing chain tensioner since that job doesn't look too bad. If the problem still persists again then I'll do the timing chain.

Richard
Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM

none yet
Thanks for the update. Did you use Genuine MB parts or did you use one of those kits off eBay?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Critic
Thanks for the update. Did you use Genuine MB parts or did you use one of those kits off eBay?
I used one of the kits but only used the camshaft adjusters from it. Still have the timing chain, rails and tensioner from the kit. When/If I replace the chain and tensioner I'll see if I use the ones from the kit or not.

Price for kit was 400 total whereas the genuine mb camshaft adjusters were 800 each! And I figure the mb ones aren't great because they went bad far too quickly. That being said we don't know the history of the car for the 1st 60000kms and maybe it wasn't well taken car of.

For the other parts I just replaced I used the authentic parts.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 - C250
Originally Posted by Richard Koop
Took the car for a good hard long drive today. Check engine light was on with P0340 and P0016 but car ran great. Here's a quick synopsis.
  • originally car was at the point where it took 3 or 4 times to get car to start with rattling deisel sound - it got worse over time
  • ordered timing kit that came with both camshaft adjusters - $400 US for the kit
  • ordered M271 camshaft holding kit with came with camshaft holder and wedge to release tension on the timing chain without removing the timing chain tensioner
  • had oil leaking into the spark plug wells so I replaced the spark plug well gaskets from this kit
  • timing chain looked great - no play and tensioner still worked when I put the wedge in to give me some slack on the chain to replace the camshaft adusters - so I didn't replace timing chain
  • replaced both camshaft adjusters from kit - everything aligned perfectly - re-torqued everything to spec
  • took about 10 hours of work to get to the point where I could replace the camshaft adjusters but that included a lot of pausing and reading to ensure I did things correctly
  • took about 3 hours to put everything back together
  • scale of work about a 7 out of 10 for me where changing the serpentine belt would be a 1 and replacing an alternator would be a 3
  • replaced oil with Mobil 1 0W40 for good measure
The car runs great now. There was a rattling sound when I started the car the 1st time after I did the work. I think it just took a second for oil to reach the new components. From then on no rattling noise or at least only a really subtle noise for a fraction of a second. Car starts immediately. Cleared engine code faults and they aren't coming back yet... hopefully never. No oil leaks or coolant leaks.

I'm still considering replacing the camshaft adjuster magnets/solenoids but probably only if things start to act up again or I get the P0016 code again.

Hope this thread helps others. Not too impressed with the quality of the C250 engine with currently only 118,000km but wasn't going to spend $6000 that Mercedes quoted me for the job. But my wife loves her car and it does drive great.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Great job. Thanks for the synopsis. Just wanted to know how much you spent on the parts and the tools?
I took it to a second mechanic, and they did a poor diagnosis. They replaced "intake camshaft position sensor" and charged me $400 for it. I know, this is outrageous and rip off. Guess what, the problem is back again with CEL and it read error code P034062.
The symptoms what you described at the beginning of the thread, is the same issue that I have, and my first mechanic shop quoted me 6K, and I wanted to check it again with another mechanic, but realized later, that I was tricked. Going back to the mechanic shop for their wrong diagnosis and for replacing the wrong part. I am not sure how much luck I will have, but will give it a shot.
  1. Based on my limited knowledge in auto repairs, do you think this is something that can be fixed if done carefully?
  2. Did you purchase OEM or after market parts?
  3. I do not know where to start and how to find the root cause.

Please advice.

FYI, Quote from the first mechanic shop.

Last edited by payur; 12-22-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:01 AM

none yet
Originally Posted by payur
Hi Richard,

Great job. Thanks for the synopsis. Just wanted to know how much you spent on the parts and the tools?
I took it to a second mechanic, and they did a poor diagnosis. They replaced "intake camshaft position sensor" and charged me $400 for it. I know, this is outrageous and rip off. Guess what, the problem is back again with CEL and it read error code P034062.
The symptoms what you described at the beginning of the thread, is the same issue that I have, and my first mechanic shop quoted me 6K, and I wanted to check it again with another mechanic, but realized later, that I was tricked. Going back to the mechanic shop for their wrong diagnosis and for replacing the wrong part. I am not sure how much luck I will have, but will give it a shot.
  1. Based on my limited knowledge in auto repairs, do you think this is something that can be fixed if done carefully?

Please advice.

This thread will have all of the information you need:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...djuster-repair
Old 12-23-2019, 07:42 AM

2013 - C250
Originally Posted by The Critic
This thread will have all of the information you need:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...djuster-repair
Thank you. I see you posted this in the beginning, but did not pay attention. I will review it.

I will check again with the mechanic shop since they did the original diagnosis and I paid for it(in fact a bad diagnosis) and let me see what they have to say now, But, I am not going to get it repaired from there.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Hi Richard,

Please advice.

I used oem parts. I think I posted a link to the Amazon timing chain and camshaft adjuster kit on this thread. 400 for the kit and 100 for the tools to hold the chamshafts. Didn't replace the chain. Only the adjusters and tensioner. Probably good for a while but will consider the chain if it rattles again. If you're not sure what to replace I'd start with removing the upper timing cover and see if your chain is loose. Gut feel... I've bought some time by replacing the camshaft adjusters and tensioner but I may need to replace the timing chain in the future. Oil level and correctly installed oil filter with o rings in the correct groves are important. And use mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Richard
Old 12-23-2019, 06:50 PM

2013 - C250
Thanks "Richard Koop" & "The Critic"

I went to the mechanic shop, and asked them to perform another round of diagnosis and provide inspection report. They acknowledged that they did not get to the bottom of the root cause first time. See below report.

Performed test plan and found fault code P001177 - Position of Intake Camshaft (Cyl Bank1) deviated from specified value.
  1. As per Test Plan, Checked Chain Drive & Engine Oil Level - OK.
  2. Checked Component B6/15 (Intake Camshaft Sensor) - OK.
  3. Proceeded to Check Component Y49/1 (Intake Camshaft Solenoids) - Found OK.
  4. Unable to Check Crankshaft Hall Sensors so proceeded to install new sensor to complete testing - found OK.

Conclusion:
  1. Fault code remains without CEL illuminated. Audible noise coming from actual adjuster.
  2. No damage to timing chain believed.
  3. Must replace the intake camshaft adjuster per TSB LI05.10-P-058758, Would recommend exhaust side as well at this time.
Is it worth going to the dealer for a final suggestion, and also see if they would consider a goodwill repair for known issue?

Quote from the second mechanic shop:
Total (parts+labor): $4,616.16
With tax, almost 5K

Last edited by payur; 12-23-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:18 PM

Thanks "Richard Koop" & "The Critic"

I went to the mechanic shop, and asked them to perform another round of diagnosis and provide inspection report. They acknowledged that they did not get to the bottom of the root cause first time. See below report.

Performed test plan and found fault code P001177 - Position of Intake Camshaft (Cyl Bank1) deviated from specified value.
  1. As per Test Plan, Checked Chain Drive & Engine Oil Level - OK.
  2. Checked Component B6/15 (Intake Camshaft Sensor) - OK.
  3. Proceeded to Check Component Y49/1 (Intake Camshaft Solenoids) - Found OK.
  4. Unable to Check Crankshaft Hall Sensors so proceeded to install new sensor to complete testing - found OK.

Conclusion:
  1. Fault code remains without CEL illuminated. Audible noise coming from actual adjuster.
  2. No damage to timing chain believed.
  3. Must replace the intake camshaft adjuster per TSB LI05.10-P-058758, Would recommend exhaust side as well at this time.
Is it worth going to the dealer for a final suggestion, and also see if they would consider a goodwill repair for known issue?

Quote from the second mechanic shop:
Total (parts+labor): $4,616.16
With tax, almost 5K

I wouldn't bother with the stealership but up to you. I was quoted $6000 CDN so no way!

I think for $400 kit for everything and either yourself and/or a handy friend can do the job. It's a bit of a job but worth the savings in my opinion. Just lay out the parts very careful. Along with the camshaft adjusters and tensioner I did replace the camshaft sensors and the camshaft magnets for good measure. They weren't expensive and I wanted to eliminate everything else before I do the timing chain.

Richard
Old 12-24-2019, 02:49 PM

2013 - C250
Originally Posted by Richard Koop
I wouldn't bother with the stealership but up to you. I was quoted $6000 CDN so no way!

I think for $400 kit for everything and either yourself and/or a handy friend can do the job. It's a bit of a job but worth the savings in my opinion. Just lay out the parts very careful. Along with the camshaft adjusters and tensioner I did replace the camshaft sensors and the camshaft magnets for good measure. They weren't expensive and I wanted to eliminate everything else before I do the timing chain.

Richard
stealership ..well said, indeed they are.

$263 for initial evaluation for an hour, and next level of evaluation $263 to get to the details. What a rip-off. This is Palm Beach Mercedes Benz, FL

That is it, I am fixing it myself, I am laying out the plan details first and then order the parts and tools. Please let me know if anyone is interested in selling the tools to me for a lower price(if it is not being used)
Old 12-24-2019, 03:27 PM

stealership ..well said, indeed they are.

$263 for initial evaluation for an hour, and next level of evaluation $263 to get to the details. What a rip-off. This is Palm Beach Mercedes Benz, FL

That is it, I am fixing it myself, I am laying out the plan details first and then order the parts and tools. Please let me know if anyone is interested in selling the tools to me for a lower price(if it is not being used)
Good plan. That was the 1st bigger job on my wife's Mercedes so I was a little nervous but it was at the point where it would barely start. I just get angry when I've had no major issue with my 2009 Honda Pilot with over 300000kms and I drive it hard and pit it away wet. This Mercedes has to be handled with kit gloves and still has major issues.

Richard
Old 12-26-2019, 07:48 AM

2013 - C250
Anyone bought or have repair manual for c250-w204? Some of the websites that offer are below, and I am looking for step-by-step repair details with pictures.

I purchased yesterday from "repairmanuals.co", but it is confusing and does not provide the details. Let me know
  1. www.repairmanuals.co
  2. www.emanualonline.com
  3. www.repairsurge.com
  4. ebay
Old 12-26-2019, 09:30 AM

2013 - C250
This question is for "The Critic"

I reviewed your other post(https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/5154667/1) , and I noticed the list of the parts that you used. Thanks for the list, that helped me to research and come up with a list.

I see you bought most of the parts from "mbpartspros.com", and I wanted to know if they are reliable and are OEM parts. Please clarify. See below comparison. Check the comparison between mbpartspros and dealer.

Last edited by payur; 12-26-2019 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Critic (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 AM

none yet
This question is for "The Critic"

I reviewed your other post(https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/5154667/1) , and I noticed the list of the parts that you used. Thanks for the list, that helped me to research and come up with a list.

I see you bought most of the parts from "mbpartspros.com", and I wanted to know if they are reliable and are OEM parts. Please clarify. See below comparison. Check the comparison between mbpartspros and dealer.
Yes, they were reliable and the parts received were Genuine Mercedes parts. Be sure to provide them with a VIN to verify fitment.