C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c250 cdi mettalic rattle on start up from cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250 cdi amg blue efficiency estate 2012
c250 cdi mettalic rattle on start up from cold

Hi Guys

I have just purchased a C250 cdi amg blue efficient diesel 2012 and covered over 1000miles so far with no problems car is now on 87500miles. But the car has started making a hoorible mettalic rattle / tick tick noise for a few seconds at start up when left overnight and started in the morning.
Doesnt seem to do it when starting from warm.

Its not a nice noise and sounds like metal on metal, for say 5 seconds, then goes quiet. (well quiet as in diesel engine quiet)

The oil was changed 7K miles ago and its booked in this week to get the oil changed for Petronas 5W30 Merc spec and a Mann filter.

Interstingly enough, If I jump in the car from cold and switch the engine straight on it rattles like crazy. If I let the glow plugs warm first and then wait a further 5 seconds for the fuel gauge to spring to life and then start it doesnt seem to rattle. I need to try this method out a few times but can anybody shed any light on this?

Its there an problem? would an oil change sort it? The car has mostly a full service history but the oil change intervals have been around 15 - 20K miles which seems long in my opinion.

Can anybody help?
Thanks