C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C300 fuel too rich bank 1&2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB C300
2009 C300 fuel too rich bank 1&2

Ok first, hello all! I have a question. I had my check engine light come on and it took a while to get it checked but it came back with fuel too rich with two codes bank 1&2. It had gone off and come back a few times prior to my getting it read but now I have had a mechanic look at it, He sealed the air intake tubes as one he fallen off and then he reset the cel and the cel was off for half a day then came back. I had another mechanic check it and he thinks the fuel injectors need to be reprogrammed since there is nothing faulty in the reading. All systems read good but I still get the fault codes. I have now put a cleaner in the gas, use shell nitro and changed filters. I refilled last night while check engine light was in and woke up this this morning and started and check engine light was off but came back on when returning home from work. It’s about a 50 mile drive each way. Any ideas, suggestions? There are NO performance issues, no loss of mpg, that’s actually improved. No stalling, no misfires, no hesitations, no egg smell, no gas odors nothing. Seems to run just fine other than those codes..

Edit
Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 235 Likes on 163 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
What codes did you get? There is a difference if the ECU is adding fuel because it's running lean or is removing fuel because it's running rich. The mechanic that told you the injectors needed to be re-programmed..... yeah, stay away from that one!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM

2009 MB C300
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
What codes did you get? There is a difference if the ECU is adding fuel because it's running lean or is removing fuel because it's running rich. The mechanic that told you the injectors needed to be re-programmed..... yeah, stay away from that one!
Its too rich bank one and two. Don’t remember codes. I cleaned the sensor MAF and went and got a new one to install. Have new air intake tubes (old were coming apart at connection point) and changed air filters as well as a new gas cap. Going to put it all in and clear code by resetting ecu and then see if codes come back. Problem is it can be so many different things but anything else would have affect on engine performance. But I still drive well, start fine. No hesitation or bad gas odor. MPG hasn’t changed any. If anything it’s gotten better. I haven’t seen one noticeable difference in the way it drives other than this check engine light. It has gone off a few times for a day or so and come back. Once for almost a week. I had the codes deleted after I had it checked out once and the light remained off, cleared emissions and light came back on again the day after.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 235 Likes on 163 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
I have seen the air filter housing cause this problem, when is sitting properly on the MAF sensor. It needs to have a perfect seal.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM

2009 MB C300
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
I have seen the air filter housing cause this problem, when is sitting properly on the MAF sensor. It needs to have a perfect seal.

Thank you! There was a clip that holds that housing down that was missing so I think it might have been part of the issue. So the sensor may have gotten dirty or damaged. I have cleaned it but not reset ecu yet. After a few drive cycles would it go off on its own if that were the issue? Or do I need to reset ecu to clear codes? I have a new Bosch sensor coming and will replace and reset ecu and see. If that doesn’t work do you have other suggestions? Seems like I may go down the line to eliminate everything but am afraid changing an oxygen sensor isn’t within my skill set and would take it to a mechanic for that...but even so are the codes that generic that in this case it’s a process of elimination?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM

2009 c300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson
Thank you! There was a clip that holds that housing down that was missing so I think it might have been part of the issue. So the sensor may have gotten dirty or damaged. I have cleaned it but not reset ecu yet. After a few drive cycles would it go off on its own if that were the issue? Or do I need to reset ecu to clear codes? I have a new Bosch sensor coming and will replace and reset ecu and see. If that doesn’t work do you have other suggestions? Seems like I may go down the line to eliminate everything but am afraid changing an oxygen sensor isn’t within my skill set and would take it to a mechanic for that...but even so are the codes that generic that in this case it’s a process of elimination?
Hey I have the same problem with my own 2009 c300. I just wanted to check up and see if yours got resolved and if so what’d you exactly do. I cleaned my MAF sensor and air flow intake but still the check engine light is on.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:51 PM

2009 MB C300
Originally Posted by Mathew Avila
Hey I have the same problem with my own 2009 c300. I just wanted to check up and see if yours got resolved and if so what’d you exactly do. I cleaned my MAF sensor and air flow intake but still the check engine light is on.

Thanks!

I cleaned my MAF sensor as well but ended up buying a new Bosch MAF sensor on Amazon and replacing myself. Checking to make sure clamps hold air filter and cleaner box down tight and there’s a nice fit when sitting on the MAF sensor and I’d say after three days of driving the light finally went off and has been off since. It will take a few days or drive cycles for it to reset or for the computer to say things look right.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:05 AM

mercedes c280
I cleaned my MAF sensor as well but ended up buying a new Bosch MAF sensor on Amazon and replacing myself. Checking to make sure clamps hold air filter and cleaner box down tight and there’s a nice fit when sitting on the MAF sensor and I’d say after three days of driving the light finally went off and has been off since. It will take a few days or drive cycles for it to reset or for the computer to say things look right.
HI i know its an old post but i have the same problem an i wonderd if you managw to solve yours?
was it the maf sensor?
thanks
Old 03-11-2020, 09:36 AM

2009 MB C300
Originally Posted by arikgo
HI i know its an old post but i have the same problem an i wonderd if you managw to solve yours?
was it the maf sensor?
thanks

Yup. Got the sensor on Amazon
Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 AM

mercedes c280
Yup. Got the sensor on Amazon
thanks bro , maybe you have the link from amazon ?