C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 command stereo audio popping noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C350
W204 command stereo audio popping noise

Hi there, I’ve got a 2010 C350 wondering if anyone has this problem and any solutions available for this issues.

When starting my car the stereo will work perfectly all features and sound work until the car is switched off when switched back on after a short stop the speakers make a loud cracking/popping noise which is pretty loud and volume can’t be turned down on this and noise does not stop until the unit is powered down, all features of the stereo e.g. navigation, cd functions, and settings etc all work just no audio whatsoever just a loud cracking/popping noise. Restarting the head unit does not fix this, unless the car has been turned off for a good few hours in which it will work again. On particularly hot days the stereo will not work at all just the popping cracking noise from the start. I have the NTG 4 high ECE stereo with the larger screen. Any ideas guys ? I found a video on YouTube of someone showing the same problem if that helps..

The following users liked this post:
jruwwe (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 300
Originally Posted by Shmee
Hi there, I’ve got a 2010 C350 wondering if anyone has this problem and any solutions available for this issues.

When starting my car the stereo will work perfectly all features and sound work until the car is switched off when switched back on after a short stop the speakers make a loud cracking/popping noise which is pretty loud and volume can’t be turned down on this and noise does not stop until the unit is powered down, all features of the stereo e.g. navigation, cd functions, and settings etc all work just no audio whatsoever just a loud cracking/popping noise. Restarting the head unit does not fix this, unless the car has been turned off for a good few hours in which it will work again. On particularly hot days the stereo will not work at all just the popping cracking noise from the start. I have the NTG 4 high ECE stereo with the larger screen. Any ideas guys ? I found a video on YouTube of someone showing the same problem if that helps..

My 2012 C 300 does the exact same thing. I tried a soft reboot of COMAND by removing 3 key fuses for 30" or so. This did not fix the problem. It is a gremlin like problem. Stereo works fine every morning when I head to work but if I stop on the way and turn off the car, many times it starts acting up when I restart the car.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:58 AM

w163 ML270 CDI & w204 c250 CDI
Sorry for recovering the post but I'm with the same issue! Already replaced the DSP but with no luck

Any news?
Old 05-08-2021, 08:52 AM

C 300
Originally Posted by Luis Cruz
Sorry for recovering the post but I'm with the same issue! Already replaced the DSP but with no luck

Any news?
Luis, no good news here. I took my C 300 to Austin’s local Mercedes shoppe (not the dealer). They said the NAV unit was bad and that they typically remove the unit from the vehicle and ship it to a repair facility in California. They said the repair will run about $2500 which is ridiculous but I really don’t have a choice. The unit has been out for repair for a month and it is still not repaired. They thought they had it fixed and just prior to shipping it back to Austin, they tested it again and found an intermittent issue. Mercedes’ image of fine German engineering is a farse. This should not be happening and is one reason why I would never by a Mercedes again.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:12 AM

w163 ML270 CDI & w204 c250 CDI
Originally Posted by jruwwe
Luis, no good news here. I took my C 300 to Austin’s local Mercedes shoppe (not the dealer). They said the NAV unit was bad and that they typically remove the unit from the vehicle and ship it to a repair facility in California. They said the repair will run about $2500 which is ridiculous but I really don’t have a choice. The unit has been out for repair for a month and it is still not repaired. They thought they had it fixed and just prior to shipping it back to Austin, they tested it again and found an intermittent issue. Mercedes’ image of fine German engineering is a farse. This should not be happening and is one reason why I would never by a Mercedes again.
That can't be true, at least for the same problem. A new NTG4 would cost no more than 1k$. Mercedes dealer in my zone asked 500€ to repair this issue.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic, 2007 GL450, 2008 C300, 2018 GLE63 AMG
replace the NTG with a used one, stop letting the dealer bang you over the head
Old 06-18-2021, 04:38 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Shmee

https://youtu.be/HQtB9cWHk0o
My car is doing the same thing. Did you ever get an explanation for this?
Old 10-06-2021, 11:58 AM

C63 amg w204
Originally Posted by Luis Cruz
That can't be true, at least for the same problem. A new NTG4 would cost no more than 1k$. Mercedes dealer in my zone asked 500€ to repair this issue.
Do you think, buy a new autoradio will arrange this problem? My w204 is doing the exact same popping as it is in the video. I took off the autoradio and put an Android screen, their is now no sound at all, only phone calls are working on the speakers, when I put back my autoradio even phone call are not working.... but I dont understand why when their is the android screen, music are not working but phone calls yes!!!
I want buy a new autoradio but I dont want spend money if the problem come from somewhere else ...
Old 05-08-2023, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
Class Action Lawsuit time

I have the same radio issue described as here.
had unit evaluation for $600.0] Command unit tests fine I pulled it out and disconnected main plug to radio and popping noise continued.
I just got reimbursement from mercedes for Sub-Frame replacement.
I think us owners need to band together to get repair or replacement for another poorly engineered feature on these vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
orlo91133 (12-29-2023)