C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C350 WinshieldWasher fluid leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
C350 WinshieldWasher fluid leak.

So when I drove yeaterday tried to clean the windshield, the motor run, but no water on windscreen.
>There was no no alarm indicating tank empty like before.

Got home, fill up tank and observed...it leaked from somewhere.

Removed everything on left side as described by Pelican parts stepxstep with photos, noticed leak at pump, removed tank.
1-Test tank=No leaks.
2-Check out pump:
>Split pump assembly with 2x screwdrivers.
>>Check motor=Motor looks good, turn correct, except surface rust on input shaft side face plugging to pump(Shaft not rusted).
Cleaned with wire brush.
>>Check out pump(Plastic housing)=Found the small seal, properly fabricated(Not o-ring), removed it, test over shaft of motor, and it was clear it was
weared out causing the leak at the pump/motor assembly side drain.
3-Ordered new motor/pump assembly......Waiting for part..

The question I have is this normal for this pump seal wear , I must say I did not used this facility much, I usually clean the window manually before talking off,....or could it be that its due to a certain washer fluid bugwash I put in tank mixed with clean water, and maybe the seal type of rubber did not like this-?

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 10-20-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 AM

Ok, so while waiting for the new part, I decided to repair the old one, by giving the rubber seal a new life with only buying PVC Weld & Gasket Maker.(Dealer note impossible to repair, no parts, fixed unit).

1-I seperated the pump in its seperate parts...Pump+Extention(One part)...seal...motor....motor electric pin cover.
2-I then seperate the pump extention plastic from it in lathe.
I turn on lathe a 16mm lenth PVC sleave with different inner dimentions on each side to re-align the pump with its extended piece that slips over motor.
3-I then examine the rubber seal. This seal reminds me of the shape of a old mastercylinder rubber cup with a tube like hole in the centre slipping
over the motor shaft and sealing it. You can see its in good condition but weared so it has a loose slip over shaft, causing the leak.
>To cure this I search for a very small washer that will narrow the seal's inner tube-over-shaft to cause a proper seal again without jamming the motor.
>I found one, insert it in the seal to do its job, maybe a very small o-ring(1.75mm) could have worked also.
>Then made use of gasket maker to seal around washer inside seal, just to make sure it stays put and provide more rubberlike stiffness.
4-I then reasemble all the pieces in order, using PVC Weld to secure the PVC sleeve one side to pump. Then insert the seal with motor, tiny bit of gasket maker on face of motor slipping behind seal position in pump. Then slip rest of pump section over motor and secure it with gasket maker to the righthind side of PVC sleeve, should I want to remove it again. Then slip the motore electrical pin conver over this. Assembly complete.
5-Mount tank to workbench, insert pump/motor assembly to tank. Test motor with 12V, works fine.
6-Fill up tank with water, so far one hour no leaks at all.
7-If tomorrow morning still no leaks, I am going to reinstall this in car and see how long it last through vibrations pumping and time.

Just an experiment to see if its any worth in fixing a non important part thats ectually expensive for what it is, this way.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 10-20-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
What about the actual line to the nozzles?
Old 10-20-2019, 10:14 AM

I 1st looked at that, did not see a problem, the leak was clearly coming from the pump assembly. As you add water it steadily leaked out from the pump assembly hole. I could clearly see this after removing the plastic cover over left front wheel before removing anything from the tank.
At moment my repair is still holding, no leaks.

I still has to find why I did not get a warning low level from sensor.....The tank did not emptied out completely, there was more water left than I thought, maybe less than a 1/4 somewhere.....Maybe it stopped leaking just before the sensor go off due to less pressure on the worn seal(water height).........Will see to that maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 10-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Fit tank-Bit of a surprise

Ok, still no leaks on workbench.
-Install emptied tank with motor.
-----------Check sensor, switch car on, yes I get refill message=OK.
-Connect windscreen water supply pipe.
-Fill up tank, observe no leaks anywhere.
--switch car on, surprise neither wipermotor nor tank motor operate.
--Start engine, same thing no alarms.
----Ok, it took me 2 minutes to realise maybe if I close the bonnet.
-Yes, bonnet must be fully closed for wipermotor and tank motor to function.--A relief it was.
------------So, everything looks ok.
-I will get new part wednesday............So if no leaks and everything works after receiving new part, I will keep this "refurbished" part in and wrestle with all that plastic covers over the left front wheel, and keep the new part spare till needed.
-I just want to see what is the lifetime of this failed pump seal fixed with some help from a washer in it.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 10-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM

The new pump made in CZ, has a cheaper upper plastic part and it does not have an escape hole for the water to escape if the seal fails, so if this happens the motor is going to flood with water or soapy mix and destroy itself, not sure if theses a fuse to blow.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 10-23-2019 at 12:42 PM.