C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mounting a Sto-n-Sho license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Mounting a Sto-n-Sho license plate bracket

After having the bumper repainted on my car I wanted to mount the license plate in such a way that I would not have to drill into the bumper. One way was to use a tow hook bracket but I don't like how that looks. Another option was double sided tape in the original spot but then the license plate can't be easily removed. Eventually I came across Big Mike's Performance which makes the Sto-n-Sho license plate brackets.

These brackets mount underneath the bumper and utilize a quick release mechanism allowing for the license plate to be removed and remounted quickly. There are a few basic designs with hundreds of different variations for different models. The variations may just include different hardware, have model specific holes drilled into the bracket, or have different length posts on the frame. Unfortunately there is no variation for the W204 and none of the other Mercedes-Benz variations work.

Since there is no Sto-n-Sho bracket made explicitly for the W204 vehicles one has to be custom installed. The required bracket for this install is the SNS2 which is actually made for the 2011-2014 Dodge Charger but with some bending and different hardware it can be made to work.

This is the hardware required:

• four ¼" x 2" stainless steel bolts
• four ½" x 1" x ¼" nylon spacers
• eight M6 x 18mm stainless steel fender washers
• eight M6 stainless steel washers
• four ¼" stainless steel nylon lock nuts
• note: stainless steel is optional
• note: washers are optional

Remove the front splash shield and drill four ¼" holes:

Make sure the holes are on the center ribs. The front-most holes will not be in the exact center of the ribs. If they are the bolts will not fit. Also the holes must be approximately ¼" away from the perpendicular bracing. If the holes are too close the bracket will not fit because there is a bumper clip right at the center.

Mount the bracket to the splash shield:

First place a regular washer on the bolt followed by a fender washer. Insert this through the bracket followed by a nylon spacer. Repeat for the remaining bolts then insert them through the holes. Repeat the arrangement of washers on the other side then screw down the nuts until fully torqued.

Bend the posts on the frame until vertical:

The frame is made from aluminum and easy to bend. This will be a trial and error process until it is perfect. Go slowly and do not over bend the posts, doing so may cause the welds to crack. The goal here is to bend the plate of the frame NOT the posts of the frame or the welds.

When finished this will be the final result:

Make sure to periodically lubricate the release pin.

Last edited by Shimee; 11-16-2019 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aaronBLUEeyes (11-18-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Love it great job!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Excellent job!