C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

M271 Evo Engine Noise Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S212 200 CGI
Unhappy

Originally Posted by spb147
sounds somewhat similar - the sound is primarily present when the rpms being held constant
take a listen to my recordings and judge whether they're identical to yours or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OptN...e=emb_imp_woyt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIks...e=emb_imp_woyt

Hi,

Unfortunately i believe that my engine is now gone with the wind - I was advised on the British Mercedes forum to check my oil filter for anything unusual and I believe there is a lot of unusual stuff there - see attached. Hope your's is different - and to be honest on your second video it sound more like a rattle rather than knock so hopefully all will be well and it is some loose bolt somewhere on the outside rather than the engine itself.

Lots of some kind of debris in the filter

some bigger metal chunks are visible

Lots of glitter in the engine oil
Old 03-22-2023, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 2013 C250 Coupe
did you have the knocking sound before you chained the timing chain? could the glitter be from the new chain and other components you changed?

having metallic flakes in oil and filter is normal for the first couple oil changes in NEW cars; not sure whether youre partially recreating that by chain the chain.

have you found your car to burn oil?
Old 03-23-2023, 08:29 AM

2011 E250 Cabriolet/A207
hello, did u manage to solve the rattle issue?
Old 03-26-2023, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk200
m271 evo engine noise

Hi I have noise from engine like you guys slk200 2013 model year m271 evo
After driving, the engine starts to make noise when it is fully preheated.
I replaced camadjust and vacuum pump, but it didn't work, and the sound decreased a little when I did it as a temporary measure like the picture.
If the vacuum hose was fixed with itself, it could be seen that the noise was louder. Even if I replace the vacuum hose, I am not thinking of replacing it yet because of the same symptoms.
If you have any other suggestions, please share them with me

Old 04-09-2023, 07:12 PM

W204 C250 evo
Originally Posted by Mr_X_45
I can definitely confirm this solution!

My car, Mercedes C250 Sport W204 (M271 DE18LA EVO 271.860) , had the same symptoms as described previous comments, eg.: noise between 1200-1500rpm when slowing down.
Complete timing system was replaced, adjusters, central valves, valve solenoids, all sliding rails, all tensioners, tensioner bracket, chains, pins, position sensors! Firstly only the mechanical parts were replaced and later the electrical parts (solenoids, sensors). After each step the engine was better and better, but still not flawless. Everyone thought and everytime the oil pressure is the issue. Never was!!!

The break vacuum pump (A271 230 1665) is attached to the exhaust camshaft. Only 2 screws hold it, so I managed to replace it, here is a useful guide for the process (which is a little bit tricky because of the small room to loosen and tighten the 2 screws):
https://youtu.be/Vt_aTRc0_So

My assumption is the pump created unnecessary and not constant load to the timing system via exhaust camshaft. The difference of the rotational resistance between the old and the new pumps was clearly felt by hand.

Good luck!
Can you give me more info about this, i have the same sound, changed everything, all tensioners, chains, phasers. But the rattling noise is not away
Old 04-09-2023, 07:14 PM

W204 C250 evo
Originally Posted by vlac
I fix the supid noise, after all smart *** mechanical guys from Mercedes make me to change timing chain, tensioner,variable timing ,sensors, everything, VACUM BREAK PUMP failure and once I replace it..no more this chain sound!!! Trust me I hate to spent money on fake problems!!!!!!! All information guys you need, like video, or explanation, I m here!
m271 evo
w204
1.8L 4Cyl
156hp
250nm

Can you give me more info, i have the same sound, i changed everything. But sound is still in the car
Old 04-14-2023, 03:47 PM

S204
??

Last edited by Bassus; 04-14-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 M271
Originally Posted by chipset
Hello to everyone. My vehicle is C180 CGI, 1.8 L (M271.820). I have a sound problem in the engine. I recorded a video about the sound. https://youtu.be/Kt_-R4-RKkE This sound is made in hot weather and at low revs. Sound comes from camshaft adjuster. In this regard, I have replaced the camshaft adjuster and the chain set twice with the original parts. But the problem is not solved. When I measured the oil pressure, it was low at idle and 2000 rpm. I think it makes a sound because the gears are working with oil pressure and not enough oil pressure is created. I changed the oil pump for this. But the problem is not solved. As a result of my research, I have seen many m271 evo engine with this sound. But I couldn't find anyone who could solve the problem. Therefore I wanted to write here. Maybe there is someone who solves the problem in this forum. I also add another user video with the same sound. The person here could not solve the problem either. https://youtu.be/8RHMtmCVUMA If we find the problem causing the oil pressure to be low, it will probably be solved. I'm waiting for your help.
Hi have u solved your problem?
Old 09-26-2023, 11:21 PM

W212 M271
Hello from Singapore. I could not solve my problem and just sent my car for an overhaul since I have clocked 230000km. The mechanic told me it's a common problem and its something that controls the oil pressure that's in the engine. I will update u guys
The following 2 users liked this post by Davenwill:
chipset (09-27-2023), nosurprises (09-30-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 08:52 AM

slk200
Originally Posted by Davenwill
Hello from Singapore. I could not solve my problem and just sent my car for an overhaul since I have clocked 230000km. The mechanic told me it's a common problem and its something that controls the oil pressure that's in the engine. I will update u guys
good luck
Old 09-27-2023, 01:46 PM

c180
Have you changed the oil pump tensioner mentioned in the topic?

Old 09-29-2023, 08:31 PM

W212 M271

Changed once in 2022. Will change again as I was told its leaked oil which I don't understand how. Was told that the piston is worn too. Still waiting to collect my car next week.
Hi Chipset yes u did change earlier in the year but it looks like it needs to

be changed again.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:29 AM

W212 M271
Hi Chipset did you have to lift up the engine to change the balance shaft chain tensioner?
Old 10-02-2023, 04:31 AM

W212 M271
Hi My mechanic identified the problem and will be changing it, One of my pistons are worn. at 230,000km i am spending big money on a full overhaul....ouch
Old 10-02-2023, 04:34 AM

W212 M271
hi Bro i went through a similar torture as u. Get a new kit from here https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/me...ming-chain-kit
and get it all changed
Old 10-02-2023, 08:19 PM

2011 E250 Cabriolet/A207
hello, I’m from Singapore too. Are you in 207 club? Im the admin of the club. I’m looking forward to your update of your overhaul
Old 10-02-2023, 08:20 PM

2011 E250 Cabriolet/A207
hi Bro i went through a similar torture as u. Get a new kit from here https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/me...ming-chain-kit
and get it all changed
does that solve the problem? I have change the timing chain set, except the tensioner part, which my mechanic says need to remove the engine to change it
Old 10-03-2023, 12:33 AM

W212 M271
Originally Posted by benyapzl
does that solve the problem? I have change the timing chain set, except the tensioner part, which my mechanic says need to remove the engine to change it
Then that is likely the issue bro. Another member also solved his problem by changing it. You can whatsapp me at +6592703007. I am not in a 207 club i drive a w212
Old 10-05-2023, 12:31 PM

W212 M271

Hi Bro did you actually solve your problem? Can you update us all?

Your last message about it was "Hi, it popped again shortly after I changed the tensioner, While testing my car's high pressure pump, I used it at high rpm (5000-6000) for a long time, the problem happened after that. Putting a different oil can sometimes reduce the sound, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem. Putting too much oil can also cause the seals to leak. I talked to iwis about this issue, they said that I should not drive the vehicle with the plug removed. we are currently going to apply a plate to that area so that the plug does not throw, I am currently in the testing phase, we have small and large alternatives, but I guess I will use the smaller one. The application is shown in the photos below. First, I had it produced from transparent plexiglass for trial. I also had parts produced from stainless steel to try again."
Old 10-05-2023, 03:07 PM

c180
Hi Bro did you actually solve your problem? Can you update us all?

Your last message about it was "Hi, it popped again shortly after I changed the tensioner, While testing my car's high pressure pump, I used it at high rpm (5000-6000) for a long time, the problem happened after that. Putting a different oil can sometimes reduce the sound, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem. Putting too much oil can also cause the seals to leak. I talked to iwis about this issue, they said that I should not drive the vehicle with the plug removed. we are currently going to apply a plate to that area so that the plug does not throw, I am currently in the testing phase, we have small and large alternatives, but I guess I will use the smaller one. The application is shown in the photos below. First, I had it produced from transparent plexiglass for trial. I also had parts produced from stainless steel to try again."
Hello, we had a plate cut to cover both plugs on the tensioner. The plate thickness is 2 mm. Since the original screws of the tensioner are M6X50 and the back plate thickness is 2 mm, I couldn't find the original M6X52 screw at Mercedes. I found the original screw on the Vw/Porsche side and placed an order. The different screws you see in the photos are these. I am currently testing the vehicle. I am now completely free from the plug drop issue. I will update about the sound issue again.

The following users liked this post:
C0d3Sp4c3 (11-18-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:16 AM

W212 M271
Hello, we had a plate cut to cover both plugs on the tensioner. The plate thickness is 2 mm. Since the original screws of the tensioner are M6X50 and the back plate thickness is 2 mm, I couldn't find the original M6X52 screw at Mercedes. I found the original screw on the Vw/Porsche side and placed an order. The different screws you see in the photos are these. I am currently testing the vehicle. I am now completely free from the plug drop issue. I will update about the sound issue again.

oh thanks for the update bro. my God I really wonder why that is needed as you had to take outtue engine twice. I just collected my car from the workshop. The balance shaft chain tensioner has been changed and the noise has gone away. I will drive it for 2 weeks and update.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:48 AM

slk200
I am from Korea 3 years ago I bought a used vehicle manufactured in slk200 r172 2013.
I didn't know well in winter, but it started to make noise around summer. When it's a little cold, there's a noise when it decelerates to 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm
When it gets a little hot, it decelerates to 2,000 rpm to 1000 rpm.
I tried replacing the cam just, vacuum pump, and engine mount, but it didn't work.
But no one seems to have solved it now..
It's hopeless.. If anyone has repaired it, please share it.
Have a good day.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:57 AM

c180
Originally Posted by nosurprises
I am from Korea 3 years ago I bought a used vehicle manufactured in slk200 r172 2013.
I didn't know well in winter, but it started to make noise around summer. When it's a little cold, there's a noise when it decelerates to 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm
When it gets a little hot, it decelerates to 2,000 rpm to 1000 rpm.
I tried replacing the cam just, vacuum pump, and engine mount, but it didn't work.
But no one seems to have solved it now..
It's hopeless.. If anyone has repaired it, please share it.
Have a good day.
Hello, if you read the topic and closely examine the photos, the source of the problem is clear. The oil pump tensioner connected to the Lanchester mechanism is causing this noise issue. There are 2 plugs on the tensioner, and if any of these plugs come off, it reduces the oil pressure. The solution to the problem is to replace this tensioner. Since I plan to use the vehicle for a very long time, I applied a plate to prevent the plugs from coming off again in the future. You can see it in the photos above.

Old 10-08-2023, 12:15 PM

W212 M271
Hi All I collected my car on Fri...changed the Balance shaft Chain Tensioner like what Chipset did. Did an engine overhual at the same time. Problem finally solved!
The following users liked this post:
chipset (10-08-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250

Great job! Please keep us posted with updates at your convenience.
My 2013 C250 with 28k miles does not have the engine noise mentioned in this thread. But lately, the brake pedal is stiffed up in the morning. Symptoms correlate to a leak in the vacuum line. Not sure if the vacuum line has a one-way check valve but replacing the brake vacuum pump with a non-OEM fixed the problem.
My searches for a brake vacuum pump rebuild kit brought me here. Anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M271 Evo Engine Noise Problem