C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

M271 Evo Engine Noise Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c180
M271 Evo Engine Noise Problem

Hello to everyone. My vehicle is C180 CGI, 1.8 L (M271.820). I have a sound problem in the engine. I recorded a video about the sound.
This sound is made in hot weather and at low revs. Sound comes from camshaft adjuster. In this regard, I have replaced the camshaft adjuster and the chain set twice with the original parts. But the problem is not solved. When I measured the oil pressure, it was low at idle and 2000 rpm. I think it makes a sound because the gears are working with oil pressure and not enough oil pressure is created. I changed the oil pump for this. But the problem is not solved. As a result of my research, I have seen many m271 evo engine with this sound. But I couldn't find anyone who could solve the problem. Therefore I wanted to write here. Maybe there is someone who solves the problem in this forum. I also add another user video with the same sound. The person here could not solve the problem either.
If we find the problem causing the oil pressure to be low, it will probably be solved. I'm waiting for your help.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi
It may be best to take it to a garage and let them listen to it, just hard to hear with your video clips to me sounds like crankshaft bearings rumbling when the engine is accelerated which would also be related to low oil pressure.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:07 AM

C class
The same noise

Originally Posted by chipset
Hello to everyone. My vehicle is C180 CGI, 1.8 L (M271.820). I have a sound problem in the engine. I recorded a video about the sound. https://youtu.be/Kt_-R4-RKkE This sound is made in hot weather and at low revs. Sound comes from camshaft adjuster. In this regard, I have replaced the camshaft adjuster and the chain set twice with the original parts. But the problem is not solved. When I measured the oil pressure, it was low at idle and 2000 rpm. I think it makes a sound because the gears are working with oil pressure and not enough oil pressure is created. I changed the oil pump for this. But the problem is not solved. As a result of my research, I have seen many m271 evo engine with this sound. But I couldn't find anyone who could solve the problem. Therefore I wanted to write here. Maybe there is someone who solves the problem in this forum. I also add another user video with the same sound. The person here could not solve the problem either. https://youtu.be/8RHMtmCVUMA If we find the problem causing the oil pressure to be low, it will probably be solved. I'm waiting for your help.
hello. I’m new here and I have the same problem with my m271 engine Dit you find the problem of your m271 noise?

greets Ricardo.
The following users liked this post:
chipset (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 08:24 AM

c180
Originally Posted by Ricardo v
hello. I’m new here and I have the same problem with my m271 engine Dit you find the problem of your m271 noise?

greets Ricardo.
Hello, yes I fixed the problem, the problem is caused by the tensioner attached to the lanchester and crank gear, There is one plug on the tensioner, Since this plug is dislodged, the oil coming from the engine block goes back to the crankcase. therefore the oil pressure is low, When the oil pressure drops, the camshaft adjuster make noise. this tensioner needs to be replaced with a new one for solution. On my vehicle and on many of the vehicles we have solved the problem, the plug came out of the oil sump, and it probably is in yours. I am attaching the photos, if you have anything to ask about the installation, I will be happy to help.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:49 AM

C class
thanks for the reply. I'm going to get it loose and be let you know if this is the problem for my m271. did you turn the engine up and take off the oil pan without removing the wheel suspension?

im sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by Ricardo v; 12-25-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:22 AM

c180
Originally Posted by Ricardo v
thanks for the reply. I'm going to get it loose and be let you know if this is the problem for my m271. did you turn the engine up and take off the oil pan without removing the wheel suspension?

im sorry for my bad English.
After suspending the engine, the oil pan can be removed. I show in the photo.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 AM

c180
Hello to everyone, I had solved the sound problem and the oil pressure problem by replacing the tensioner. I gave the photos in my message above. Recently, I used the car at high speed the other day and the sound started to come back. we disassembled the engine again and saw the plug come out again. What is the reason for this wearing? I sent an e-mail to both iwis and mercedes, but I could not return. Is there any problem if we cover this hole completely? I would appreciate your help.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:12 PM

slk200
Hello
I also own a slk200 y13 with an m271 engine.
It is the same symptom. When the temperature is high, the noise is heard at about 50 km/h at 1000~2000 rpm, and it is louder when decelerating.
Refer to the comment on the 2nd video on the top post
I replaced it with SHELL 10W60 oil and the noise was slightly reduced.
The previous oil was Mercedes-Benz oil, and I tried the 5W30 and AVENO 5W30, but it was the same.
I know it costs a lot to work with plugs.
I don't want to pay any more. It's because you've already done meaningless cam adjust work.
Did it happen again after driving for how many kilometers after working on the tensioner plug?
Or if the problem is caused by low pressure due to oil leakage
I wondered if adding a little more oil than recommended would solve the problem. Of course it would be dangerous
Anyway, I'm curious what action you've taken now.
The following users liked this post:
chipset (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:10 AM

c180
Originally Posted by nosurprises
Hello
I also own a slk200 y13 with an m271 engine.
It is the same symptom. When the temperature is high, the noise is heard at about 50 km/h at 1000~2000 rpm, and it is louder when decelerating.
Refer to the comment on the 2nd video on the top post
I replaced it with SHELL 10W60 oil and the noise was slightly reduced.
The previous oil was Mercedes-Benz oil, and I tried the 5W30 and AVENO 5W30, but it was the same.
I know it costs a lot to work with plugs.
I don't want to pay any more. It's because you've already done meaningless cam adjust work.
Did it happen again after driving for how many kilometers after working on the tensioner plug?
Or if the problem is caused by low pressure due to oil leakage
I wondered if adding a little more oil than recommended would solve the problem. Of course it would be dangerous
Anyway, I'm curious what action you've taken now.
Hi, it popped again shortly after I changed the tensioner, While testing my car's high pressure pump, I used it at high rpm (5000-6000) for a long time, the problem happened after that. Putting a different oil can sometimes reduce the sound, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem. Putting too much oil can also cause the seals to leak. I talked to iwis about this issue, they said that I should not drive the vehicle with the plug removed. we are currently going to apply a plate to that area so that the plug does not throw, I am currently in the testing phase, we have small and large alternatives, but I guess I will use the smaller one. The application is shown in the photos below. First, I had it produced from transparent plexiglass for trial. I also had parts produced from stainless steel to try again.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:37 PM

slk200
I sincerely pray for your success.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:18 AM

slk200
Has it ever been resolved? I am still suffering from the sound.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 c180cgi
Hi guys im trying to fix that stupid sound like from video but it only make sometimes i already spend 2000 for new timing chain and other things but nothing help any new ideas what to do with it can i drive my car? None of local shop incude dealership cant fix that
Old 06-28-2022, 10:11 AM

W204 C180 Blue Efficiency
Good day all. I have the same noise at idle and low rpm. But it doesn't happen all the time. But usually when the engine is at operational temperature. I've only noticed it happening with the radio of at a red light. As soon as I accelerate, it disappears. But today I've noticed it while driving about 80km/h at about 1500 rpm or so. It's making me nervous now. I'll pay close attention when I commute home.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by AxmanW140
Good day all. I have the same noise at idle and low rpm. But it doesn't happen all the time. But usually when the engine is at operational temperature. I've only noticed it happening with the radio off at a red light. As soon as I accelerate, it disappears. But today I've noticed it while driving about 80km/h at about 1500 rpm or so. It's making me nervous now. I'll pay close attention when I commute home.
No low idle nocking on my commute home this time. Realy strange.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:35 AM

Mercedes SLK 200CGI
Hello all from Finland!
I had the same noise as above between 1200-1500rpm when slowing down. The noise was scaring the crap out of me, it was suprisingly loud when it happened (not all the time). The plug of the tensioner (oil pump chain) had fallen off like seen above, and after replacing the part with new one that had an aluminium plate on it, the noise disappeared and is yet to come back since (driven now about 1000km). The aluminium plate was selfmade, dealer did not have any solutions for this. Yet they said that the car should not be driven without the plug.

I'd like to ask does anyone else have a loud chainlike noise between about 2000-3500rpm (especially when accelerating)? No noises on startup or anything else. The sound was there before fixing the plug problem and is still there eventhough everything from timing chain to sprockets were also replaced. I just dont know if the SLK should sound like that or not. Could it be because of the SLK's sound generator thing that boosts enginenoise (mine probably has it since it has the amg package)?

Last edited by mmagee; 07-15-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=chipset;8232355]Hello, yes I fixed the problem, the problem is caused by the tensioner attached to the lanchester and crank gear, There is one plug on the tensioner, Since this plug is dislodged, the oil coming from the engine block goes back to the crankcase. therefore the oil pressure is low, When the oil pressure drops, the camshaft adjuster make noise. this tensioner needs to be replaced with a new one for solution. On my vehicle and on many of the vehicles we have solved the problem, the plug came out of the oil sump, and it probably is in yours. I am attaching the photos, if you have anything to ask about the installation, I will be happy to help.

"quoted"

Is it necessary to remove or loosen the transmission mount when you lifted the engine?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:17 AM

slk200
Me too. It's an r172slk with an m271 engine
I hear the noise when I'm slowing down, it drives me crazy.
I think I spent 3000 dollars, too.
If I find a way, I'll share it with you.
Currently, I don't want to add more oil because of the plug plug, but I can't do anything because of the oil leakage.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:19 AM

slk200
Originally Posted by W204c180
Hi guys im trying to fix that stupid sound like from video but it only make sometimes i already spend 2000 for new timing chain and other things but nothing help any new ideas what to do with it can i drive my car? None of local shop incude dealership cant fix that
Me too. It's an r172slk with an m271 engine
I hear the noise when I'm slowing down, it drives me crazy.
I think I spent 3000 dollars, too.
If I find a way, I'll share it with you.
Currently, I don't want to add more oil because of the plug plug, but I can't do anything because of the oil leakage.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:53 PM

W212 E250 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY
Hello, I'm from Japan.
I have same problem too.
My car is W212 E250 cgi (e/g is M271 evo.)
Its camshaft adjuster and chain were changed new a year ago due to recall by Mercedes Benz Japan.
But its problem of rattle noise appearered last month.

Mr/Ms. chipset told us about this issue due to the plug of the tensioner attached to the lanchester and crank gear.

But I think that changing the tensioner to new is taked a lot of money and time. (Moreover, recurrence even after repair may be.)
So, I want to explore other way. (But I have no idea.)

If you know other way or have a new idea, please tell me.

Thank you.

(I'm sorry about my poor English.)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_77600.MOV (9.58 MB, 1101 views)
Old 09-10-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
w204 m271EVO
I fix

I fix the supid noise, after all smart *** mechanical guys from Mercedes make me to change timing chain, tensioner,variable timing ,sensors, everything, VACUM BREAK PUMP failure and once I replace it..no more this chain sound!!! Trust me I hate to spent money on fake problems!!!!!!! All information guys you need, like video, or explanation, I m here!
m271 evo
w204
1.8L 4Cyl
156hp
250nm
The following 2 users liked this post by vlac:
Mr_X_45 (01-09-2023), patspats (10-10-2023)
Old 09-12-2022, 12:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 2013 C250 Coupe
Hello! I believe I also have the same problem with my car! 1. iis there an issue driving the car like this with the noise without fixing it?

2. So the culprit is definitely the oil pump chain tensioner plug that's causing the low oil pressure that leads to this noise?

3. Just replacing the chain tensioner should fix the problem?

Last edited by spb147; 09-12-2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:46 AM

m204 1.8
[QUOTE=vlac;8632423]I fix the supid noise, after all smart *** mechanical guys from Mercedes make me to change timing chain, tensioner,variable timing ,sensors, everything, VACUM BREAK PUMP failure and once I replace it..no more this chain sound!!! Trust me I hate to spent money on fake problems!!!!!!! All information guys you need, like video, or explanation, I m here!
m271 evo
w204
1.8L 4Cyl
156hp
250nm[/QUOTE

Hey. Can you share how vacuum brake pump solve the noise? How do you notice the vacum brake pump is the culprit?
Old 11-22-2022, 09:48 AM

m204 1.8
How?

[QUOTE=m271 why;8673158]
Originally Posted by vlac
I fix the supid noise, after all smart *** mechanical guys from Mercedes make me to change timing chain, tensioner,variable timing ,sensors, everything, VACUM BREAK PUMP failure and once I replace it..no more this chain sound!!! Trust me I hate to spent money on fake problems!!!!!!! All information guys you need, like video, or explanation, I m here!
m271 evo
w204
1.8L 4Cyl
156hp
250nm[/QUOTE

Hey. Can you share how vacuum brake pump solve the noise? How do you notice the vacum brake pump is the culprit?
Old 12-26-2022, 11:31 AM

2011 E250 Cabriolet/A207
Hi,

the black color is the plug on the hole? what about the red color?

does the problem comes back?
Old 01-09-2023, 05:27 AM

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport W204
Originally Posted by vlac
m271 evo
w204
1.8L 4Cyl
156hp
250nm
I can definitely confirm this solution!

My car, Mercedes C250 Sport W204 (M271 DE18LA EVO 271.860) , had the same symptoms as described previous comments, eg.: noise between 1200-1500rpm when slowing down.
Complete timing system was replaced, adjusters, central valves, valve solenoids, all sliding rails, all tensioners, tensioner bracket, chains, pins, position sensors! Firstly only the mechanical parts were replaced and later the electrical parts (solenoids, sensors). After each step the engine was better and better, but still not flawless. Everyone thought and everytime the oil pressure is the issue. Never was!!!

The break vacuum pump (A271 230 1665) is attached to the exhaust camshaft. Only 2 screws hold it, so I managed to replace it, here is a useful guide for the process (which is a little bit tricky because of the small room to loosen and tighten the 2 screws):

My assumption is the pump created unnecessary and not constant load to the timing system via exhaust camshaft. The difference of the rotational resistance between the old and the new pumps was clearly felt by hand.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr_X_45; 01-10-2023 at 09:17 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M271 Evo Engine Noise Problem