C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A fuel system fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220 CDI
A fuel system fault

Afternoon! First post here....

I've got a late 2007 W204 C220 CDI, 90k miles. I've got a fun fault with the fuel system. Symptoms are:
  • When giving it the boot from stationary, I get a 'blip' in power for about half a second
  • Occasionally I get the ESP light at that point, and when that happens, I have the EM light on (which goes off after the car has been stopped and started a few times)
  • I have both P0088 and P0087 fuel pressure faults
  • When cold and ticking over, the engine misses a beat occasionally
A few things that I should tell you that may influence diagnosing the problem:
  • The car has 18" wheels (I was originally told the ESP issue was a tyre pressure sensor fault related to this but I don't think that was right?)
  • I also have throttle pedal sense code P0123 (which I thought was the cause the power blips)
  • I also have shaft sensor fault P0340 (which I also thought was related to the power blips)
My reasoning for coming around to the fuel system fault is the two pressure codes. Looking around the internet I see all of these faults in different orders have been caused and then fixed by replacing either:
  • The fuel quantity control valve
  • The fuel quality control valve (are they the same/similar thing? There seems to be confusion over that)
  • The diesel temperature sensor
  • High pressure fuel pump and associated sensors
  • The fuel rail (please god no!)
But I'm not getting any direct faults as to which part is faulty on an OBD2 reader. Would a STAR session give any further ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated, or at least some advice on which part might be worth replacing, or anyone who has had the same symptoms and then luck on repairing this themselves?

Cheers all!

Dan
Old 11-15-2020, 01:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ML350 bluetec 2010. W164
Originally Posted by dannypenguin

I've got a late 2007 W204 C220 CDI, 90k miles. I've got a fun fault with the fuel system. Symptoms are:
  • When giving it the boot from stationary, I get a 'blip' in power for about half a second
  • Occasionally I get the ESP light at that point, and when that happens, I have the EM light on (which goes off after the car has been stopped and started a few times)
  • The car has 18" wheels (I was originally told the ESP issue was a tyre pressure sensor fault related to this but I don't think that was right?)
  • I also have throttle pedal sense code P0123 (which I thought was the cause the power blips)
  • I also have shaft sensor fault P0340 (which I also thought was related to the power blips)
My reasoning for coming around to the fuel system fault is the two pressure codes. Looking around the internet I see all of these faults in different orders have been caused and then fixed by replacing either:
  • The fuel quality control valve (are they the same/similar thing? There seems to be confusion over that)
But I'm not getting any direct faults as to which part is faulty on an OBD2 reader. Would a STAR session give any further ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated, or at least some advice on which part might be worth replacing, or anyone who has had the same symptoms and then luck on repairing this themselves?

Cheers all!

Dan
my ML350 Bluetec 2010 has both P0088 & P0087
my car performance acceptable, I did check the fuel pump , fuel pump screen, fuel hoses and change fuel filter
I think that because of bad fuel quality
Old 06-14-2021, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ML350 bluetec 2010. W164
Originally Posted by dannypenguin

Cheers all!

Dan
what is fuel quality control valve 😶 ???
Old 10-24-2022, 05:39 AM

2009 C220 CDI
i noticed your post is now 2 years old. how did you go with the problems. I have a C220 CDI 2009 190Klm and having fuel issue problems. have changed the tank pump and the Fuel rail pressure sensor. still having problems
Old 04-07-2024, 06:19 PM
Eoy

C220cdi w204 om646
Originally Posted by MJC1318
i noticed your post is now 2 years old. how did you go with the problems. I have a C220 CDI 2009 190Klm and having fuel issue problems. have changed the tank pump and the Fuel rail pressure sensor. still having problems
Please have you found any solution yet?. I have similar problem