C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Advice for installing a Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C220 CDI
Advice for installing a Subwoofer

Hi,

Hope everyone is well. I'm looking to install a subwoofer system into my 2008 C-Class Saloon and would appreciate some advice. My car has the standard sound system which has no subwoofer (which is strange as my previous W203 had it despite having the standard setup as well). I feel there is a noticeable lack of low-end, hence I'm having to look into some sub options. I've attached a picture of the boot space in which you can see the boot floor is not level. At the end it seems to go higher (highlighted in the picture) which I cannot understand the reason for. I did some looking around and I think this is on W204's with the through-loading feature (where the seats fold down). Because of this I have limited options as a decent sized normal subwoofer box will not fit on this 'ledge' so it would have to be positioned to sit in front of 'ledge', bearing in mind I also want to keep as much of the boot free as I can. Therefore I'm having to consider a shallow-mount/slim sub setup which could sit on top of the ledge at the back. I've come across a Pioneer Active Subwoofer (TS-WX1010LA) which I have attached as a picture (with the dimensions). I made a model of the sub at home to see if it would fit and it seems to be a bit tight. It sits on top of the ledge fine but the top of the box doesn't sit vertically level because of the rear seat's slant. However, if I bring it forward a bit it improves the vertical slant. So I'm thinking I could maybe velcro the sub to ground to keep it secure but I'm not sure how effective this will be?

I wanted to know if anyone has done a similar install into their W204 and if so, how they got on. I'd also like to know if there is anything extra I need to know for when it comes to installing a sub. From what I've seen, the rear speakers have to be tapped into to get the signal, the +12V is wired from the battery (which is conveniently situated in the boot) and Ground can either be screwed onto an existing ground or a new one.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks