C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

"Used" Smart Key Vs. "Virgin" Smart Key Vs. "New"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Lightbulb "Used" Smart Key Vs. "Virgin" Smart Key Vs. "New"

Yes this topic has been discussed numerous times. There are a ton of threads on this. I think with so many threads it has created confusion.

*Please refrain from negative or unnecessary comments. I want this to be an "informed" discussion and not speculation.

My hope is that this thread will clear this up once and for all. Hopefully this will be a "sticky" if forum moderators such as @Glyn M Ruck deem it so.

Here's what I understand.

1. USED KEY
A topic of debate. Many claim it can not be done. Others claim it can be done. It depends on the version. They say newer keys are far more difficult and not worth it.

2. VIRGIN KEY
I see some sellers on eBay selling keys that are "virgin" yet they claim they need to be programmed by a locksmith or dealer.

How could they come into possession of a virgin key?

3. ORDERING NEW KEY FROM DEALER

There are two options. Order as a replacement key or as an additional key via dealer.
  1. The replacement key needs to be programmed. The dealer will charge for this. I have read that if you place it into the EIS (ignition) for 90 mins it will program. It will also erase previous keys.
  2. The additional key does not require programming. Benz takes care of that.

THOUGHTS
For my W203, I ordered a new key fob from the dealer and just drove away. No additional programming needed.

Yesterday, I spoke with a dealer who claimed programming and wanted close to $400. Uh huh....

When I speak to an SA, I'm mindful that they get commission on sales. They don't always have your best interest at heart.

Sources:

1. Stacks Exchange Mechanics

2. Gilly via pelican parts

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 08-24-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:55 AM

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
1. Virginizing a key is possible for older types but not worth it as you have to take them apart and remove the chip.
2. There are plenty of virgin keys available on the web. 99% of them are aftermarket. You will rarely find an genuine one online.
3. Virgin keys have to be programmed using specialized tools only on vehicles 2014 and older. 2015 and up there is a new encrption and can only be programmed at the dealer or PDC. Dealer can not program keys for 2014 and down. 2015 and up they can add a key on the spot and order a pre-programmed key.