C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

P0016 CEL after valve seal replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
c250
P0016 CEL after valve seal replacement

I have a 2014 c250 sport with 94000 miles previously from the 30,000 miles no oil change thread, (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post8167567). I recently completed replacement of all 16 valve stem seals, along with a set of new cam sprockets and a new tensioner. I used the factory Mercedes timing tool and the timing seemed to be basically spot on. The only annoyance being on these engines the timing tensioner is oil actuated so getting perfect timing is damn hard with no oil pressure. I put the entire engine back together and started it up. for 3 seconds it sounded terrible and rattled but it then smoothed out and now the car runs amazing with plenty of power and no smoke and no weird noises. no rattles on startup or anything. My only problem is a p0016 check engine light for bank one sensor a that now comes up after driving the car for a few mins. The car starts and runs perfectly fine with lots of power so I don't think its missed timing.. what could possibly be my issue here? any help is greatly appreciated

@azblk (thanks so much for the tip on valve seals, the car still smokes a little but its vastly vastly better)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 C250 SPORT, 2014 WRX STI SEDAN, 2017 E300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kbod
I have a 2014 c250 sport with 94000 miles previously from the 30,000 miles no oil change thread, (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post8167567). I recently completed replacement of all 16 valve stem seals, along with a set of new cam sprockets and a new tensioner. I used the factory Mercedes timing tool and the timing seemed to be basically spot on. The only annoyance being on these engines the timing tensioner is oil actuated so getting perfect timing is damn hard with no oil pressure. I put the entire engine back together and started it up. for 3 seconds it sounded terrible and rattled but it then smoothed out and now the car runs amazing with plenty of power and no smoke and no weird noises. no rattles on startup or anything. My only problem is a p0016 check engine light for bank one sensor a that now comes up after driving the car for a few mins. The car starts and runs perfectly fine with lots of power so I don't think its missed timing.. what could possibly be my issue here? any help is greatly appreciated

@azblk (thanks so much for the tip on valve seals, the car still smokes a little but its vastly vastly better)
It could be either the sprockets or the chain tensioners. You are in luck however. MB extended the warranty on those to 120K Miles or 10 years. Take it to the dealers and have them do it unless you would rather take it apart again.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...adjusters.html