C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 Left Front CV Axle Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2023 | 07:09 AM

2013 mercedes c300 4 matic
Intermediate shaft

Originally Posted by Just204
i had the same situation doing mine. Unlike others claim I can’t see how you can remove the intermediate shaft without dropping the steering rack. It was impossible to get the clip with snap ring pliers( it was orientated at 12 o clock). Then it was also stuck in the pan. I took a hammer and draft and hit the back of the inner joint casing and gradually got it out but it took a while! Putting everything together I guess I would have replaced the bearing but I reused it. I had to tap the shaft back into the pan it was that tight. I wish I lubed the bearing first to go in easier though. The job took about 3.5hrs and I was rushing as I didn’t want to get my car locked in the building. Not a fun job

hey how did you remove the intermediate shaft? I was able to remove the c clip off the intermediate shaft but the shaft itself is stuck and can’t get a grip. Any tips?
The following users liked this post:
MMCC (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by mikelof243
hey how did you remove the intermediate shaft? I was able to remove the c clip off the intermediate shaft but the shaft itself is stuck and can’t get a grip. Any tips?

I did not remove mine, sorry can't help. also for images I was unable to get any as the old axles were thrown out.
Old 04-11-2023 | 04:11 PM

2010 C350 4Matic
Intermediate shaft removal

If you have a photo of it post it so I can see what step in the process you're at. Are you saying you removed the retaining ring from the oil pan housing and the intermediate shaft is stuck in the oil pan? If so, I'd reconnect the outer shaft to be able to pull on it, in hopes of unseating the intermediate shaft from the oil pan. The two main issues during this job, for me, was (1. removing the retaining ring from the oil pan housing) and (2. separating the outer shaft from the intermediate shaft, due to the splines being so rusted and the internal c-clip not free to move). I just want to differentiate between the Snap Ring/C-Clip and the Retaining Ring/Clip. The c-clip fits in the grove of the splines on the shafts to hold the outer shaft on the intermediate shaft. The Retaining ring is in the oil pan housing securing the intermediate shaft to the oil pan. Initially when I had started the removal I did realize the retaining ring had to be removed as I didn't see it. That's where the continual pounding or pulling of the intermediate axle, can break the edge of the retainer ring housing on the oil pan. Once I removed the intermediate shaft then I had to let penetrating oil soak on the splines where it connects to the outer shaft. Then after a few days of that I heated the connection with a blow torch, placed the intermediate shaft in a vice and pounded the outer shaft off the intermediate shaft with a mallet.

I hope this helps anyone attempting to do this job, because I know how frustrating it is to figure out on your own.

Last edited by MMCC; 04-11-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2023 | 04:12 PM

c300 2012 4matic
[QUOTE=cosmo1;8397282]
Originally Posted by GunDriver
I and several other members accidently did this job the very hard and expensive way!

We all used slide hammers to yank the axle out. Problem is this method broke the upper oil pan and pulled the intermediate shaft out with it..

There is a C clip holding the intermediate shaft bearing into the upper oil pan. Remove the clip and pull the CV axle out with intermediate shaft still attached and deal with it from there...

Trust me, you DO NOT WANT TO YANK IT OUT AND BREAK THE UPPER OIL PAN! Its expensive even to replace it yourself, not to mention a huge pain in the ***....

I ended up giving up trying to separate axle from intermediate shaft and just replaced them both. After replacing the oil pan of course...

Thank you for the advice. I ended up cutting the inner boot off and getting a new inner boot kit from FCP Euro. I pulled the shaft from the inner joint, replaced the outer joint boot kit (also from FCP Euro) and then put the new inner boot on, packed it with the new grease and was able to crimp the boot clamp. All set now. Going down for an alignment! Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input.
How did u get the snap ring out looking at it there is little to no room in there ?
Old 05-24-2023 | 06:08 PM

2010 C350 4Matic
[QUOTE=shaunsiebers;8783681]
Originally Posted by cosmo1

How did u get the snap ring out looking at it there is little to no room in there ?
It was very difficult, yes, no room to get a good grip on the retaining (snap) ring. I used an angled needle nose pliers to squeeze the hole and edge of the snap ring. Of course it slipped off like 100x but eventually I could hold it long enough to slide the ring out towards the shaft, to get the pliers under the edge and bend it. Then used a screwdriver to rotate the ring a bit more, repeating that process till the ring was out far enough to grab tight with a pliers and pry out of the groove. It totally sucked but worked just fine, where I'd do it again if I needed to. See my photo for reference.

Here's my original photo before I removed the retainer ring.

Need any more advice, just let me know. -MMCC
Old 05-24-2023 | 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
A set of snap ring pliers makes that job a lot less frustrating ($30 set of 4 — straight/curved/inside/outside)

chassis (10-21-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 01:18 PM

C300
I have a bad intermediate shaft bearing. Its not totally blown apart but there is a lot of play. I feel like if I try tapping the shaft out it could take the bearing apart in the process? Just wondering if anyone had to pull the bearing from the pan housing and how to do that?
Old 06-03-2023 | 02:19 PM

2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
A blind hole bearing puller in the appropriate size..kits on Amazon.. or an internal bearing puller also..both require the shaft being removed. Even if bearing fell apart with care taken that pieces/***** were kept out of the oil pan, these tools will removed the outer race.
Old 06-05-2023 | 08:11 AM

C300
Originally Posted by gamma300C
A blind hole bearing puller in the appropriate size..kits on Amazon.. or an internal bearing puller also..both require the shaft being removed. Even if bearing fell apart with care taken that pieces/***** were kept out of the oil pan, these tools will removed the outer race.
Thanks for the reply on how to pull that bearing. Just waiting on parts now.
Old 06-17-2023 | 07:18 PM

C300
Im in the middle of the job. I have the CV axl out. I have the C clip out the holds in the bearing of the intermediate shaft. How do I get the shaft with bearing out? It doesn't just pull out and I’m not sure how to attach a slide hammer to it.

Originally Posted by jacobsed
Thanks for the reply on how to pull that bearing. Just waiting on parts now.
Old 06-18-2023 | 10:41 AM

C300
I figured something out. I put some vice scrips on the end of the shaft and they held no problem while I tapped against them with a punch and it was super easy to come out. Ultimately I got it all back together and still had the rattle I was searching for. Turns out it was a driver side brake pad.
Old 10-20-2023 | 11:29 PM

2012 M.B. C300
How did you remove the retaining clip?

Outer front L cv axle housing rusted to the intermediate axle.

Intermediate axle "retaining clip"

Hello, what tool/ how did you use to remove the retaining clip?

Last edited by 2012MB_C300; 10-20-2023 at 11:37 PM.
chassis (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023 | 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by 2012MB_C300
Hello, what tool/ how did you use to remove the retaining clip?
Scroll to post 31 for picture. Snap ring pliers.
Old 10-26-2023 | 10:36 AM

c300
Bearing

Originally Posted by GunDriver
I and several other members accidently did this job the very hard and expensive way!

We all used slide hammers to yank the axle out. Problem is this method broke the upper oil pan and pulled the intermediate shaft out with it..

There is a C clip holding the intermediate shaft bearing into the upper oil pan. Remove the clip and pull the CV axle out with intermediate shaft still attached and deal with it from there...

Trust me, you DO NOT WANT TO YANK IT OUT AND BREAK THE UPPER OIL PAN! Its expensive even to replace it yourself, not to mention a huge pain in the ***....

I ended up giving up trying to separate axle from intermediate shaft and just replaced them both. After replacing the oil pan of course...

is the bearing easy to come off from intermediate shaft? Or do you have to hit it to take it off?
Old 10-26-2023 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I haven't done this job but from photos of the new replacement intermediate shafts it looks like the bearing comes already on the shaft, I'm assuming its press fit. I don't have the removal instructions for a W204 but for other models I'm seeing as bearing puller under required tools to remove a worn bearing from the intermediate shaft.

Old 12-18-2023 | 01:20 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 4matic
Can anyone offer some advice? I had to cut the cup for the left front axle off the intermediate shaft. I have remove the snap ring from the transmission. I attached a slide hammer to the intermediate shaft and I can't get the intermediate shaft to come out with the bearing from the transmission. Anyone do this job that can offer some advice?
Old 12-19-2023 | 06:34 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 4matic
Got it! Had to weld a stud onto the end of the intermediate shaft and then use a slide hammer and finally the intermediate shaft came out with the bearing in tact. The bearing is bad so I am glad I went this far. What a pita job!! Just waiting on parts and then reassembly!