C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Repaired side mirror not operating correctly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 SLK230 & 2019 C300W4
Repaired side mirror not operating correctly

My wife hit a recycling bin with her right-side mirror. I was able to get a replacement glass and glue/reassemble the housing. It works for the most part (alignment motor and blinker light are operational), but no longer tilts down when transmission moved to "Reverse". It moves, but not in the right direction. Is there anything a mechanical novice can do to correct this? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 433 Likes on 357 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by Apesbrain
My wife hit a recycling bin with her right-side mirror. I was able to get a replacement glass and glue/reassemble the housing. It works for the most part (alignment motor and blinker light are operational), but no longer tilts down when transmission moved to "Reverse". It moves, but not in the right direction. Is there anything a mechanical novice can do to correct this? Thanks.
Stating the obvious, but make sure the adjustment button for the passenger mirror is pressed. If the driver side adjustment button is pressed, the mirror does not automatically adjust in reverse.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 SLK230 & 2019 C300W4
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
Stating the obvious, but make sure the adjustment button for the passenger mirror is pressed. If the driver side adjustment button is pressed, the mirror does not automatically adjust in reverse.
Ok, I'll check on that. When the transmission is moved to "Reverse" the passenger mirror moves, but no longer in the correct direction. It returns to original position when transmission moved out of Reverse.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 433 Likes on 357 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by Apesbrain
Ok, I'll check on that. When the transmission is moved to "Reverse" the passenger mirror moves, but no longer in the correct direction. It returns to original position when transmission moved out of Reverse.
I think we’re getting somewhere! If it’s moving at all the switch is in the right position and it just might be OK.

Try this:
Shift to Reverse.
Try to adjust the mirror with the control pad to where you want it after it stops in the wrong place.
Is there enough adjustment?
If yes, shift back to Forward.
Does it return to the normal setting?
If yes, all should be OK.
Try Reverse again just to be sure.

If it’s not working, one of the cables (I think there are 3) that moves the mirror may be binding or may have become disconnected. The next move might involve removing the mirror again and/or going behind the door trim panel. These things are pretty simple.