C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is my coolant pump going out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C250
Is my coolant pump going out?

I'm hearing a whining sound that goes with engine speed. Coolant, brake, and steering fluid levels are fine. Auxiliary coolant pump runs after shutting off the engine for a minute.

wife said one day the temp went up high, but its nevwr reoccurred with me driving. No lights or temp in red. It was high by So Cal standards in stop and go. One day i drove it and had no heat from heater. I shut off and started engine and heat blew from vent.

at first i thought aux coolant pump was bad but I'm still hearing the whine with aux pump disconnected. I thought a coolant pump would just go out. I dont aee why it would make any noise between dead and functioning.

No codes with icarly.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:04 PM

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by HBguy
I'm hearing a whining sound that goes with engine speed. Coolant, brake, and steering fluid levels are fine. Auxiliary coolant pump runs after shutting off the engine for a minute.

wife said one day the temp went up high, but its nevwr reoccurred with me driving. No lights or temp in red. It was high by So Cal standards in stop and go. One day i drove it and had no heat from heater. I shut off and started engine and heat blew from vent.

at first i thought aux coolant pump was bad but I'm still hearing the whine with aux pump disconnected. I thought a coolant pump would just go out. I dont aee why it would make any noise between dead and functioning.

No codes with icarly.
For the whining, remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for a short time. If the whining has stopped then check the pulleys on the alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor, and any idlers. It sounds like the coolant issue and the whining are not related.
The following users liked this post:
karlt10 (03-17-2022)