C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

220CDI Rough idle and jerky torque converter when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2022 | 06:12 PM

w204 220CDI
220CDI Rough idle and jerky torque converter when cold

Hello, this is my first post here!
I have searched the forum and failed to find anything similar to my problem. So the issue I have is that when I first start the car, (it is a 220 CDI OM 646 paired with 722.6 transmission) the idle is rough.
When I press the gas pedal slightly to raise the RPMs to about 1200 and hold the pedal there, the engine actually fluctuates the RPM between 1100 and 1400 in a consistant manner. When i let go the pedal, it returns to stutter
and shake the car, so there is definietly something wrong there. Another issue is when I start moving the car. I think these are related. So when doing a normal (slow to medium) drive, the torque converter keeps connecting and disconnecting, RPMs still fluctuate, I believe the
TCU doesn't know how to handle the weird engine behaviour. No errors on TCU and also no errors on ECU. No check engine light too. The problem goes away once the car reaches operating temperature. The whole gear changing becomes really bad and jerky untill it warms up.
I have noticed that if I drive the car like I stole it, it changes gears better and it is smoother, but I dont want to drive it like that when its cold.
I will provide videos for the weird engine while standing still. I hope someone can point me to a right direction.
Thanks in advance.
The video to demonstrate the RPM fluctuation while keeping the pedal pressed but still:

This is the stutter if of the engine when it is idling: