C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Broken VVT Valve. Cam adjusters are 3000 miles old and intake is rattling again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2022 | 05:09 PM

w204 c250 2012 and w205 c300 2015
Broken VVT Valve. Cam adjusters are 3000 miles old and intake is rattling again

Hello.
First I want to thank you guys for the great source of information that is uploaded here.

here is my problem:
3000 miles ago I changed timing chain ( Iwis brand) both cam adjusters (BBR Chinese brand from FCP euro ), Febi tensioner, genuine guides ( replaced 2 of the 3), during the installation I broke one of the VVT metal valves that go inside the sprockets, so I order just random cheap one from Amazon ( the only one that was about to arrive on the next day)
everything went well with the repair.
( old chain was sooo stretched so it was trying to jump out of the gears and timing was off with almost 10 degrees)

I drove the car 2 months -3000 miles and all of a sudden upon start up I heard the dreaded cam shaft rattle, but this time the rattle was severe it sounded like the pistons are hitting the head. 3-4 seconds after that noise went away and check engine light is on for over advanced intake cam and the following codes for faulty cam shaft sensors.

today I pulled the valve cover and timing is spot on, nothing is loose when I turn the crankshaft there is no play or flop in the cam adjusters. I even turned the engine back and forth with the camshaft wrench and the play in the adjuster is minimal.

I pulled the metal VVT valve ( since it was cheap Amazon one I wanted to check it) and it fall apart. Metal check ball/ valve from inside was separated from the body.

can you guys advice is this the cause of the severe rattle and over advanced camshaft, or just the cam phaser failed and the vibration from it caused the problem form the picture.

Im ASE certified mechanic and did the work my self.
just want to find the cause of the problem.

Old 03-30-2024 | 05:03 PM

c250
Originally Posted by nickBG
Hello.
First I want to thank you guys for the great source of information that is uploaded here.

here is my problem:
3000 miles ago I changed timing chain ( Iwis brand) both cam adjusters (BBR Chinese brand from FCP euro ), Febi tensioner, genuine guides ( replaced 2 of the 3), during the installation I broke one of the VVT metal valves that go inside the sprockets, so I order just random cheap one from Amazon ( the only one that was about to arrive on the next day)
everything went well with the repair.
( old chain was sooo stretched so it was trying to jump out of the gears and timing was off with almost 10 degrees)

I drove the car 2 months -3000 miles and all of a sudden upon start up I heard the dreaded cam shaft rattle, but this time the rattle was severe it sounded like the pistons are hitting the head. 3-4 seconds after that noise went away and check engine light is on for over advanced intake cam and the following codes for faulty cam shaft sensors.

today I pulled the valve cover and timing is spot on, nothing is loose when I turn the crankshaft there is no play or flop in the cam adjusters. I even turned the engine back and forth with the camshaft wrench and the play in the adjuster is minimal.

I pulled the metal VVT valve ( since it was cheap Amazon one I wanted to check it) and it fall apart. Metal check ball/ valve from inside was separated from the body.

can you guys advice is this the cause of the severe rattle and over advanced camshaft, or just the cam phaser failed and the vibration from it caused the problem form the picture.

Im ASE certified mechanic and did the work my self.
just want to find the cause of the problem.
Hello, I come across your post as I am about to do my chain and camshaft adjuster for my 2013 C250. I have also purchased the BBR adjuster for FCP Euro, are these BBR adjusters any good? Did you have problems with it since you installed them?
So was your issue from that Amazon bought VVT Valve or from the BBR adjuster? Thanks!