C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Water in passenger side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Question Water in passenger side

Got water in the passenger side under the carpet after a few days of heavy rains. I cleared all the drains. Except the center drain behind the dashboard all drains seemed clear. Even the center drain seems partially clear, but I cleaned that too. My problem is that I can't see any telltale water marks near the drains to indicate it overflowed. So it is a mystery to me where the water got in from.

One of my headlight washer cover has come off. Is it possible for water to get into the chassis from there? Seems too far way but then who know what is connected where from the inside.

I removed the rear seat and partially lifted the carpet on the passenger side and saw standing water on there. During cleaning it I noticed a round black kind of washer. Out of curiosity I pushed it and it fell inside between the inside of the chassis and the outside of the chassis below. Have I made the problem worse because water can not get into this location. I didn't see standing water in that location but now that it is open in future water can get into it. What is that washer part and where can I buy it from?
Old 03-24-2023, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by maaza
Got water in the passenger side under the carpet after a few days of heavy rains. I cleared all the drains. Except the center drain behind the dashboard all drains seemed clear. Even the center drain seems partially clear, but I cleaned that too. My problem is that I can't see any telltale water marks near the drains to indicate it overflowed. So it is a mystery to me where the water got in from.

One of my headlight washer cover has come off. Is it possible for water to get into the chassis from there? Seems too far way but then who know what is connected where from the inside.

I removed the rear seat and partially lifted the carpet on the passenger side and saw standing water on there. During cleaning it I noticed a round black kind of washer. Out of curiosity I pushed it and it fell inside between the inside of the chassis and the outside of the chassis below. Have I made the problem worse because water can not get into this location. I didn't see standing water in that location but now that it is open in future water can get into it. What is that washer part and where can I buy it from?
Do you have a sunroof? Did you check if the sunroof drains are possibly clogged?
The following users liked this post:
maaza (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 05:10 PM

C350
Originally Posted by S70Houston
Do you have a sunroof? Did you check if the sunroof drains are possibly clogged?
I rechecked the sunroof drains and indeed the passengers side drain was clogged. Getting the clogged end of the drain is quite tricky and I haven't succeeded yet but I can see where the problem is. I tried to take preventive maintenance on the drivers side too. I was successful in removing the end of the drain near the edge of the door, but it was tricky and it slipped from my hand and fell somewhere inside the chassis. How can I order a replacement part? What is the part number for it?
Old 03-25-2023, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by maaza
I rechecked the sunroof drains and indeed the passengers side drain was clogged. Getting the clogged end of the drain is quite tricky and I haven't succeeded yet but I can see where the problem is. I tried to take preventive maintenance on the drivers side too. I was successful in removing the end of the drain near the edge of the door, but it was tricky and it slipped from my hand and fell somewhere inside the chassis. How can I order a replacement part? What is the part number for it?
Looks like your sunroof drain was the problem.

Best would be to go to your dealer and get the part there. Based on your description, it is doubtful for anyone to know which part exactly you are looking for.

Last edited by S70Houston; 03-25-2023 at 07:07 PM.
maaza (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:08 PM

C350
Originally Posted by S70Houston
Looks like your sunroof drain was the problem.

Best would be to go to your dealer and get the part there. Based on your description, it is doubtful for anyone to know which part exactly you are looking for.
I followed this video
The part that he removes and cleans all the debris is the one I am talking about.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:46 PM

C350
I received a subframe corrosion warranty extension from MB usa. It should apply to this water intrusion related corrosion too. I will ask my dealer to take a look.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:53 PM

C350
MBUsa refused to address water intrusion under that warranty. Dealer has quoted $2500 to just open the car to figure out what is going on.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 443 Likes on 364 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
This is not something that you want to do at a dealer. They want $180-$300 per hour labor. Try an independent body shop where the labor rates are more like $50-$60 per hour if you can’t remedy it yourself. Water leaks are hard to diagnose. They can be from the sunroof, windshield, rear window, trunk weather seal, front fender drains, or anywhere rainwater runs past a panel gap.
maaza (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:47 PM

C350
True. I am mad at MBusa for not covering this.

I have removed the carpet/seat. There are a couple black round plugs on the chassis from the inside. If I remove this there is another chassis part that is dark and is about half an inch below this with empty space between these two. I am wondering if I can remove the plugs because they trap water inside and keep the carpet wet. If water goes out of these holes will it still get trapped between the inner and outer part of the chassis?

Any issues with just removing the plugs?

After removing the carpet I still hear some sloshing as I apply the brake. Is this just gas tank, or is there pooled water in some other places?

Last edited by maaza; 03-31-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:59 PM

C350
I finally managed to squeeze my hand in between the door and the car chassis and remove the valve at the end of the drain pipe on the passenger side. The problem was that dust/mud had caked inside it and blocked water from flowing out resulting in the leakage. Does anyone know what is the purpose of this part? It seems like a recipe for disaster.

Sunroof Drain pipe valve