C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Changed brake lines, car won’t start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 gle
Changed brake lines, car won’t start.

ok so, my car has been waiting for it’s turn to get it’s rear subframe replaced. Whilst waiting the battery died. (And it’s been suuuper cold). So I charge the battery and she fires back up. I trailer it to the dealer. They do their assessment and it needs rear brake lines before they will even touch it. So, I start it again, on the trailer she goes.

i replace both rear brake lines. Bleed them. Take a gingerly drive up and down my driveway. Brakes still spongy. I stop, bleed again, start car, Dash is a Christmas tree. Try to move it back to where I need it and the dash is flickering and trans is clunky.

I turn the car off. Now it’s dead, won’t crank at all, not even a starter click. Dead battery you’re thinking. Went and got a new one. No starty.

the dash is flashing inoperable traction and srs, and air bag . I also noticed the lights would not turn off. Headlights and tail lights with the key out of the ignition.

The steering lock works, inserting the key unlocks it. The dash lights up.
I can get the transmission into gear when pressing the brakes but the gear shift indicator on the cluster does NOT show what gear it’s in.

here’s what does not work…
the key fob will not unlock or lock the doors or trunk. (I replaced the battery in the fob)
The seats do not move
Interior lights do not work.

Because of the brake lights staying on, I thought brake light switch, but does that stop engine crank? I don’t know enough about what Mercedes does for safety reasons. Would that switch brick a car like that?

Did I trigger something safety wise by driving up my driveway to test the brakes? Since it was still apparently full of air?
I’m going to order the brake light switch and check all the fuses for the hell of it. Followed by bleeding the bakes again.

Thanks for your input.