C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C200 cranks, won't start. Many other faults

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C200
Angry C200 cranks, won't start. Many other faults

Hi all,
Hoping for a answer to this one. Silly me decided to charge the aux battery in the boot as I have read that it could be the issue with stop/start ECO that hasn't worked for years. When reconnecting the battery I may in hindsight have created a spark. Now I have read on here that this is bad and I can now see why.
When I went to start the car I had a multitude of faults and the car cranked but did not start. I disconnected the main battery for a reset and this cleared on the faults on the dash except for RHR tail and LHR tail but still only cranked with no start. I have also checked pretty much every fuse under the bonnet and in the boot.
Looking further I found the following:
Radio will not turn on
interior lights will turn on
Door locks will not work
rear tail lights and indicators along with the boot light not working
but
Headlights work
front indicators and parking lights work
brake lights work
steering lock works (read about ESL and eis faults)

Obviously I have killed something but what? The thing is I'm located in a remote area of the Australian bush without support from MB or even a good mechanics. I don't really want to throw a heap of guess's at it as I would have to wait for each of them to arrive in the post.
Tomorrow I'm trying a scan tool to see if that gives me a clue but any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Sparks from accidental short circuits are not a good sign.
Multiple seemingly unrelated problems after a probable short circuit may indicate one or more of the main fuses blown (open). Those are located in the pre-fuse bloc. It can be checked and repaired, but do not do anything until you post the results of the scan.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C200
The trouble I have is that every fuse is intact but when putting the scan tool on to check for faults is that the OBD2 is not working either. The scan tool is not getting power and will not start. I'm tending to think its the battery control unit on the battery in the boot. It doesn't close and allow power through and its the closest electronic device to the battery where the potential short happened.