C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 ABS ESP fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204
W204 ABS ESP fault

Dear all I have been struggling with this issue for a while but have had a eureka moment. There are various threads with this problem with different opinions. Story so far, ABS fault lights up along with ESP. cruise control etc not functioning. I had this same issue with my last w204 and failed to cure it and because of other problems chopped it in for a newer model with half the mileage (96k). Current car did the same, browsed MB forums and most say don’t fit anything but MB genuine parts (sensors). I bought a iCarsoft MBV1.0 (OBD reader) and it told me front left wheel sensor not reading. However when reading wheel speeds it showed neither fron wheels moving and because of this the back brakes were applied (presumed wheel spin I guess) I searched for methods to test the sensors and found there are two types and this Utube clip which explains how to do it right up till the end when he says “unless it’s a Merc (or jeep grand Cherokee))”. They have sensors that cannot be tested!!!.
He went on to say the whole system used my MB. is Bosch and around 2012/2013 they changed types but the correct item code is written on the cable so although some suppliers will say a sensor will fit it may not work. I have ordered two “corrrect” sensors from Bosch and will fit them asap. (Wish me luck and I will report back).
here is the Utube vid.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204
YES, fitted two new Bosch original speed sensors to front hubs and all faults disappeared (phew)
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (06-05-2024)