C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need help!! Trying to figure out why 2012 c250 won't start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 c250 w204
Need help!! Trying to figure out why 2012 c250 won't start!

Hi guys so I drove down the street the car started fine on the way to an appointment then I go to leave and nothing. It wouldn't even crank with a jump box so I put a new battery I had in and same thing. All lights are on on the dash. My only guesses are a fuse or relay which I'm checking momentarily, I have an oil leak that may be dripping on the starter is my second guess and 3rd it's this ESL fail problem I keep reading about. I do have an esl emulator box on it that was put on before I got the car. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-27-2024, 10:38 PM

2012 c250 w204
Also when I put the key in the ignition I can hear the ESL move. I checked the fuses and all related are good. Also all red and yellow dash lights are on
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by Phoenix222
Also when I put the key in the ignition I can hear the ESL move. I checked the fuses and all related are good. Also all red and yellow dash lights are on
If the fuses and relays check out, your second guess is likely the culprit. Your symptoms were similar to my experience. One minute, the car starts; the next minute, nothing. The key is that you hear the ESL move, and all the dash lights are on, so the security system start permissive is good. Remove the start relay in the front SAM and use a fused jumper wire to bump the starter. If there is no movement, then the starter is the problem. The good news is that it's a simple swap.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

2012 c250 w204
That is hugely helpful. I did the jump on the relay yesterday and nothing happened but it was with a crappy wire and I didn't have the fuse plugs on the ends of the wire, I just smashed the ends so they were flat. I'm going redo that today with the fuse plugs connected to the wire but since that first one didn't work I'm really thinking it's the starter. Thank you so much for the reply!
Old Today, 01:50 PM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2013 w204 c250 coupe & 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins
Originally Posted by Phoenix222
Hi guys so I drove down the street the car started fine on the way to an appointment then I go to leave and nothing. It wouldn't even crank with a jump box so I put a new battery I had in and same thing. All lights are on on the dash. My only guesses are a fuse or relay which I'm checking momentarily, I have an oil leak that may be dripping on the starter is my second guess and 3rd it's this ESL fail problem I keep reading about. I do have an esl emulator box on it that was put on before I got the car. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
@Phoenix222 hey, Did you try tapping on the starter while cranking to see if it would start? I've had to use that truck on my 2nd Gen Cummins to get home before.. The oil leak likely killed your starter which it sounds like that is your main problem. I'm not familiar with the ESL issue. My oil filter housing was leaking onto my starter as well and I replacedthe OFH gasket and my leak was fixed. I believe I saved my starter by stopping that leak.
Old Today, 01:58 PM

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by antboii
@Phoenix222 hey, Did you try tapping on the starter while cranking to see if it would start? I've had to use that truck on my 2nd Gen Cummins to get home before.. The oil leak likely killed your starter which it sounds like that is your main problem. I'm not familiar with the ESL issue. My oil filter housing was leaking onto my starter as well and I replacedthe OFH gasket and my leak was fixed. I believe I saved my starter by stopping that leak.
lol! I tried that trick from my old Chevrolet days, but no-go. At a minimum, I think the oil filter housing leak killed the solenoid since I didn't even hear the click. Fix the leak while you are in there to prolong the life of the new starter. You have to remove the starter anyway to replace the oil filter housing gasket (I wish it were like the M276 with the filter housing on the front).

Last edited by alynch; Today at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
antboii (Today)
Old Today, 02:07 PM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2013 w204 c250 coupe & 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins
Originally Posted by alynch
lol! I tried that trick from my old Chevrolet days, but no-go. At a minimum, I think the oil filter housing leak killed the solenoid since I didn't even hear the click. Fix the leak while you are in there to prolong the life of the new starter. You have to remove the starter anyway to replace the oil filter housing gasket (I wish it were like the M276 with the filter housing on the front).

I agree @alynch ! The oil leak likely killed Phoenix starter. The OFH is right above the starter and leaks right on to it.

Would of been nice if MB thought that placement through lol

Ant

Old Today, 04:16 PM

2012 c250 w204
That's was my thought ill just replace the OFH. I was going to do the gasket but I noticed a crack in the OFH while I was under the car looking at the starter so I'll just replace the whole thing. Also I did try hitting the starter a little but it didn't even make a sound. I got a click a couple times when trying with the new battery in but then nothing after that.
The following users liked this post:
antboii (Today)