C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Run flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
what the h*** is going on here??!!?!!

such a shame that mercedes is doing this. even if we get non rft all around, there seems to be no easy solution for a "spare". there's gotta be some logic to this. i'm wondering if the rft's are not going to be a 'problem' with all the other advancements in general with the vehicle.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by djejglk
i'm wondering if the rft's are not going to be a 'problem' with all the other advancements in general with the vehicle.
The issue is that while they solve some problems (don't have to pull over in a middle of busy highway or shady neighborhood), they create a number of other problems. First, you can only drive on them for up to 50 miles. So what happens if you're on a longer trip and there are no shops open within 50 miles because it's a Sunday or evening/night? Even if the shop is open, what are the chances that they'll have an exact replacement RFT in stock to sell you? Often times, these RFTs can't be safely repaired - the tire sacrifices itself to allow you to drive those 50 miles. Not to mention, RFTs aren't exactly cheap to replace. Sure you can call MB roadside assistance, but will they just bring you a new matching RFT? Somehow I doubt it. Another words, you're stuck. We frequently drive back and forth between Illinois and Michigan (200+ miles), so not having a proper spare is concerning. And if you do buy a spare, there is no place to properly store it in the trunk.

BMW has already switched all their new cars to RFTs, and that's one reason why I'm hesitant to buy one. MB is in the process of doing the same thing. Audi is still holding out, but probably not for very long either.

Last edited by Pete7874; 04-27-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
When BMW switched all cars to run flats, I decided I would no longer consider any BMW. Fortunately, for me, MB kept standard tires on most of their cars. Prior to MB switching to RFT, on their diesels, I owned a number of diesels but no longer considered diesels as a good option.
Now, I don't know what to do. I would like to consider the W205 but now have some serious concerns.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Pete7874
The issue is that while they solve some problems (don't have to pull over in a middle of busy highway or shady neighborhood), they create a number of other problems. First, you can only drive on them for up to 50 miles. So what happens if you're on a longer trip and there are no shops open within 50 miles because it's a Sunday or evening/night? Even if the shop is open, what are the chances that they'll have an exact replacement RFT in stock to sell you? Often times, these RFTs can't be safely repaired - the tire sacrifices itself to allow you to drive those 50 miles. Not to mention, RFTs aren't exactly cheap to replace. Sure you can call MB roadside assistance, but will they just bring you a new matching RFT? Somehow I doubt it. Another words, you're stuck. We frequently drive back and forth between Illinois and Michigan (200+ miles), so not having a proper spare is concerning. And if you do buy a spare, there is no place to properly store it in the trunk.

BMW has already switched all their new cars to RFTs, and that's one reason why I'm hesitant to buy one. MB is in the process of doing the same thing. Audi is still holding out, but probably not for very long either.
I know it maybe isn't ideal, but you could buy a smallish 'emergency spare' just for your long trips..

I think mb roadside would have a higher standard than that. In the event they brought out a non rft, I'm sure they would setup a repacement (assuming one has the tire coverage).

BTW, I currently have the tire (and wheel) coverage. To me it's worth..I've already had a tire replaced (sidewall bubble) and road rash on all 4 tires (yet to be fixed). I have a devious plan .....I'm going to wait until the w205 becomes available as a loaner, although I know that might be a while. I'm going to specifically request that loaner for me when I go in to get all the wheel repair done. I've had it done before, and it takes a good 2 to 3 days at the least.

This will give me one heck of a test drive in the w205 I really want to see what this car is all about (run flats and all).

Last edited by djejglk; 04-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Run flat tires mean - I'm out.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM

I know it maybe isn't ideal, but you could buy a smallish 'emergency spare' just for your long trips..
Yes, but there is no proper place in the trunk to put the small/donut spare either. You'd have to figure out a way to tie it down so that it doesn't slide around. It's certainly doable with a tie-down net, but you're giving up your smooth trunk floor, if that matters. First world problems, I know.

I think mb roadside would have a higher standard than that. In the event they brought out a non rft, I'm sure they would setup a repacement (assuming one has the tire coverage).
Having never used their services, I honestly don't know how this works. Would they be able to get you a replacement RFT in a matter of hours? Or will you be stuck for a day or two (while on a trip) while they're having it shipped from somewhere?

Last edited by Pete7874; 04-27-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 PM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Pete7874
Yes, but there is no proper place in the trunk to put the small/donut spare either. You'd have to figure out a way to tie it down so that it doesn't slide around. It's certainly doable with a tie-down net, but you're giving up your smooth trunk floor, if that matters. First world problems, I know.

Having never used their services, I honestly don't know how this works. Would they be able to get you a replacement RFT in a matter of hours? Or will you be stuck for a day or two (while on a trip) while they're having it shipped from somewhere?
I smashed a wheel on a curb head on and instantly flattened my tire one night. I pulled into a gas station and called 1800 4 mercedes. About 15 minutes later, the guy came out and fixed the flat for me. Granted, it was a glk 350 (my first MB, now I have a c250), and it had a spare in the back. What I didn't know is that the spare is stored deflated, but the glk's come with an air compressor as well. Without his help, I would have put that dam thing on uninflated, lol!

My salesperson kept insisting (when I was test driving) to ALWAYS call the number if you have ANY problem with anything what-so-ever. They really do cater to you, especially if you get a flat or have any other mechanical issues.

This all happened within the dallas city limits, so it was a rather quick turn around.

Anyways, I called the dealership the next day and setup a tire replacement. It was a fairly painless process.

If something were to happen to the car, I truly feel they would do anything they could to make it right, regardless of your current location. But, practically speaking, if there is physically not a dealership within a 100 mile radius, I have no idea how they would approach the situation.

Part of me says "don't worry, they'll make it right, no matter what", and another says "you never know when or where something might happen...even 1-800-4mercedes can't help me here!"

It's definitely a balance of convenience/reliability (with mercedes being able to help you)/safety/etc.

one last note: even if they were not able to deliver a rft on site while repairing the tire, you would definitely get a replacement if you bought the tire protection thingy. You may be driving around the rest of your trip with a non-matching, possibly non-rft tire, but they wouldn't put a 'dangerous' tire on the car. They try to keep everyone happy, and I'm hoping they've thought about scenarios similar to what you're describing. I have faith in mercedes in general, they've impressed me more than a few times!

Good luck with your decision, I think the w205 will be amazing, especially if you're a mercedes fan. The rft "issue" may not even be an issue at all. They (mercedes) are very well designed and engineered, and I don't think they would have rft's if they weren't sure about all the caveats that go along with them.

Last edited by djejglk; 04-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Mini One
Hi guys,

Good luck with your decision, I think the w205 will be amazing, especially if you're a mercedes fan. The rft "issue" may not even be an issue at all. They (mercedes) are very well designed and engineered, and I don't think they would have rft's if they weren't sure about all the caveats that go along with them.
A few weeks ago I've ordered an W205 in Poland. The RFT were available as 0-cost option. Sadly, I was stupid enough to include it in my config

When - after reading this forum - I wanted to call this option off, it turned out it was too late (production of the car has already started).

Anyway, the delivery date is set to 12th of May. Two more weeks and I will share my experiences with C180 and the RFT.

Cheers,
Miecz
Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Miecz
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I've ordered an W205 in Poland. The RFT were available as 0-cost option. Sadly, I was stupid enough to include it in my config

When - after reading this forum - I wanted to call this option off, it turned out it was too late (production of the car has already started).

Anyway, the delivery date is set to 12th of May. Two more weeks and I will share my experiences with C180 and the RFT.

Cheers,
Miecz
You say it was a "0-cost option" does that meant that you had the option to get regular tires and a spare?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
You say it was a "0-cost option" does that meant that you had the option to get regular tires and a spare?
A spare tire compartment is a fairly significant design feature. If rft's = no spare tire compartment, what happens if you opt for non rft's? I doubt they have different trunk configs if you catch my drift. I'm sure it will all make sense in a few months, but dang. There's so many different things going on with this car, lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
A spare tire compartment is a fairly significant design feature. If rft's = no spare tire compartment, what happens if you opt for non rft's? I doubt they have different trunk configs if you catch my drift. I'm sure it will all make sense in a few months, but dang. There's so many different things going on with this car, lol.
I dont know why you think you know that.
I am sure that if the car was designed with a "spare tire compartment" that it would not just disappear if you check the "rft" option.
I asked the guy if he had the option to buy the car without rft's.
If he did, then that would mean that the car either has the spare tire compartment or offers a quick fix kit for regular tires.
RFT's does not mean that there isn't a spare tire compartment.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 AM

Mini One
Yes, at the time when I was preparing my configuration, the run-flat costed 0. I was rather surprised so I've chosen it (is something is for free, take it, even you don't know what exactly it is.... that was my reasoning at this time)

But when I checked the configurator today, it costs 1 466 PLN (~480 USD)! Seems that MB PL had an error in the tool and they fixed it (by changing price 0->1466).

Eventually I got a free gift which didn't make me happy at all... Maybe with an exception that I will be able to post some pictures

Yes, as I wrote, the tool allows to select either regular tires (+a spare) or (with an extra cost) - RFTs. That's how the configurator tool works in PL.

Thanks and best regards,
Miecz

Last edited by Miecz; 04-29-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Response to an other post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM

2013 C250 sport
I dont know why you think you know that.
I am sure that if the car was designed with a "spare tire compartment" that it would not just disappear if you check the "rft" option.
I asked the guy if he had the option to buy the car without rft's.
If he did, then that would mean that the car either has the spare tire compartment or offers a quick fix kit for regular tires.
RFT's does not mean that there isn't a spare tire compartment.
My trunk has a very specific place/insert for a battery, but there's not a battery back there. I posted a pic of this before when installing dynamat in the wheel well. Someone in the european market said that this is where a battery goes in other markets. SO...the trunk has 'extra' stuff that's not needed in certain markets. read==the car is built a certain way, and maintains that structure, regardless of market or features.

My point is that the body/construction of the car may very well be the same design wise, no matter what options you choose or what market it's being built in.

I didn't say that rft's equals no spare compartment for sure, I said IF. And that's a big IF. I said that I don't think they would drastically change the trunk design for a simple option. If they are trying to push rft, they MIGHT be built without a spare wheel well.

Trust me, I think it would be a very wrong idea to build a car without an area for a spare tire. Sorry you misunderstood me.

Last edited by djejglk; 04-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I believe there will be an option for regular tires at least in 2015.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM

I noticed on the Mercedes UK site that run flat tires are standard equipment on the AMG line only and not even an option on the SE and Sport lines. ( see the brochure section) Hopefully this will be the case for North America as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I read, on the German MB site that some cars come with an inflatable spare that is probably similar to the one on my GLK.

<http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/germany/mpc/mpc_germany_website/de/home_mpc/passengercars.flash.html>
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

C220 AMG Line Premium Plus (W205)
Look at this video (forward to 7:30):

It appears there _IS_ space for a spare tyre.

Originally Posted by vols1
I noticed on the Mercedes UK site that run flat tires are standard equipment on the AMG line only and not even an option on the SE and Sport lines. ( see the brochure section) Hopefully this will be the case for North America as well.
I remember when I was looking at the Audi A3 when you specced the B&O sound system there was a base speaker in the trunk which meant you had to switch to a mini tyre. It's probably similar with the AMG-Line which is a step up from Premium Plus which has the burmester sound system. Or maybe they need a second battery to power the extras.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 AM

That space under the trunk floor doesn't look overly big. Maybe it's meant for one of those donut spares that you store deflated until you need it? Better than nothing, like the current BMW 3-series.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
RFT on a W205...yaiks!

I came here today trying to figure out what my next purchase would be. With RFT, I pass. I am definitely at the wrong section here.
Fours years ago, I bought a brand new 328i e90. The ride is too harsh for my wife who has a bad back. We can feel all the bumps and road surface imperfection. More often car jumps and lose grip in bumpy curves. I ditched the RFT exactly 5 days after the purchase and run EVO V12 regular tires. Great improvement, car seems glued on the road I travel long distances, so I carry a full size spare tire in the trunk since. This leaves me no room for a check-in bag but the backseat. I am not a fan of emergency tire kit which is useless IMO in the event the tire sidewall is damaged.

According to the BMW owners manual, no air RFT can be driven for 80 miles at max speed of 50 mi/hr. Beyond 80 miles, the RFT sidewall can get damage or disintegrate beyond repair. In any case, would you buy one, two or a complete set to match all tires?
Enough rant, gotta move!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I have been concerned about the lack of information on the W205's so I contacted Montvale. Their reply is unbelievable. Keep in mind that US production is supposed to begin in June and they supposedly don't know what they are going to produce.

Their eMail response today:

"At the present time, we have no official information on the 2015 C Class. We appreciate your contact and invite you to view the "Future Vehicles and Technology" section at www.MBUSA.com for information on upcoming models and technology."
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Why is that reply "unbelievable?"
All they did was reply with the answer that we all already know.

""At the present time, we have no official information on the 2015 C Class."

Nothing has been released. Why do you think they would give unreleased information to some random dude? lol
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
My specific question was wether I could order a W205 without run flat tires.
Since the dealers are taking orders I believe my question was reasonable.
For me, RFT could be a deal breaker.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Ok, that makes more sense. That seems like a simple enough question.
I fail to see how RFTs are a deal breaker though.
I will order the car RFTs or not. When the car arrives if it has RFTs then I will buy whatever tires I want... It's not that hard.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM

Last edited by Pete7874; 06-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
For anyone who doesn't know, Montvale is the US headquarters for MB. It is called MBUSA, previously Mercedes Benz of North America. Now, Canada is separate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Run flats?