C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by coladin
Three months in, 4800kms, here is my list:

3. Two LED door handles are out. Thankfully it is the fronts together. They are not completely dark, however, so it looks like both lights in the rear of the handle are out.

Little stuff that can be corrected in one visit. I am waiting for the LEDs to arrive to bring it in. I am not disappointed at all, but accepting of the situation and was well prepared for some issues with a brand new build from a brand new factory re-tooling.

Overall, very, very impressed with this car.
Mine is getting picked up tomorrow to have the rear driver's side LED door handle replaced. I'm convinced the the driver's door handle is on its way out next. This is a minor issue, but I'd hate to have to send it in over and over again, as each door LED dies a slow death. I've also asked about the brake squeal, which I have informed then won't be audible by the time they drive it to the dealerships. Of course, I am hardly in a position to complain given the struggles others have had with the MB-Tex.

I will add that after five months I finally played around with the voice command; I must say it works really, really well. I'm annoyed with myself for not having used it sooner.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by bostonc400
Mine is getting picked up tomorrow to have the rear driver's side LED door handle replaced. I'm convinced the the driver's door handle is on its way out next. This is a minor issue, but I'd hate to have to send it in over and over again, as each door LED dies a slow death. I've also asked about the brake squeal, which I have informed then won't be audible by the time they drive it to the dealerships. Of course, I am hardly in a position to complain given the struggles others have had with the MB-Tex.

I will add that after five months I finally played around with the voice command; I must say it works really, really well. I'm annoyed with myself for not having used it sooner.

I am happy to report that the car was picked up and returned. Of course, despite the door handle replacement being the primary reason for the visit, that's the one thing that they didn't do. Despite a work order indicating that it was replaced, it was obviously NOT done. It's really infuriating. While it's such a minor problem, it's pretty outrageous and concerning that something so blatantly visible would not be checked out prior to delivery to the customer.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 PM

C220 sport with prem plus
Traffic assist is faulty
Consult your workshop
So let's count
Drove out of showroom command did not work
Both front windows rattle when fully closed
Wiper linkage broke when raining hard
Crome trim out of line on doors
Bad fitting fuel cap
Gearbox cooling pipe burst
So the traffic assist is no7 I am sure I've missed something else just remembered exterior door lights out
So that's 8 faults and counting
Oh and the door window rattle that took 3 days to fix is back
Also forgot cam link recall and steering recall
I spend more time at the garage than I do at home or work

But I love the car!!

Last edited by Andrew1959; 02-27-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Forgot somethin
Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 Sedan
I think my touchpad is dead as well June/July build, may be there's a batch issue on the earlier models?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C250 w205
Originally Posted by Mjollnir1983
I think my touchpad is dead as well June/July build, may be there's a batch issue on the earlier models?
Its easy to see if your touch pad is working or not. Just run your finger across it when its on radio and if it doesn't change the station its not working.

Mine is 23 May 2014 build. Twice I have the car booked in to check out the faulty touchpad and twice it has started working the day before so no use taking it in. Its working now but experience tells me it will stop at random any day now.

I have decided that the next time it stops working I will drive it straight over to Centenary Classic at Taringa and drag one of the service guys out to see it not working then they will have to replace it!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM

W205 C250 Sedan
Originally Posted by wallyworld2
Its easy to see if your touch pad is working or not. Just run your finger across it when its on radio and if it doesn't change the station its not working.

Mine is 23 May 2014 build. Twice I have the car booked in to check out the faulty touchpad and twice it has started working the day before so no use taking it in. Its working now but experience tells me it will stop at random any day now.

I have decided that the next time it stops working I will drive it straight over to Centenary Classic at Taringa and drag one of the service guys out to see it not working then they will have to replace it!
The touch buttons work fine, its just the pad that doesnt do anything.

My car was rego'ed in August, so probably will be May build as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Hello,

I was thinking that my collision sensors didn't work so well (BIP too early or too late)

But actually they are fine.

It seems that high pressure Karcher cleaning is bad and dust stuck inside sensors.

Need to use air pressure to clean the sensors.

Cheers.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 PM

W205 C250 Sedan
Quick update to the touchpad, it was fixed via a software update and recalibration, no hardware replacement needed.

Hopefully with the update it fixed some of the other issues. Anyone know list of the issues fixed in update so far?

With regard to the wind noise, I can confirm it is indeed the mirror causing it. Dealer said you can get an after market deflector, if you are really sensitive. For me it was never a big issue, more of an inquiry.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Mjollnir1983
With regard to the wind noise, I can confirm it is indeed the mirror causing it. Dealer said you can get an after market deflector, if you are really sensitive. For me it was never a big issue, more of an inquiry.
How did you confirm it was the mirror? Did you fold them in and the wind noise stopped?

Just yesterday I was stopped at a light and could hear the noise outside (other cars moving in the adjacent lanes) like one of my windows was down slightly. I rolled them all down a bit then rolled them back up and the noise was till there.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM

2015 C300
Disappointed

Here is my list:
Squeeky brakes (loud!)
Led light out in door handle
Dash rattle (fixed)
Door rattle which was thought to be a blown speaker. Speaker was replaced. Rattle still there. My guess is something in door resonating with speaker vibration.
Tire recall.
Steering recall.
Sagging sunshade. Just noticed this one.
Warning sounds for no reason when making turns like something is in my blind spot.
Not impressed with navigation. Have to use my phone Nav at times to get where I'm going since it will send me a mile up the road from the actual location. Car rides a bit stiff for my liking on bumpy roads. Don't like the touchpad. The engine is noisy when standing outside the car. Almost sounds like a diesel. This is my first Mercedes and quite possibly my last. There is a lot I like about the car. Nice highway ride, quiet inside, love the interior although it is a bit small, and I think without all of these issues I would love the car. It's overpriced but the lease payment was in line so I wasn't bothered by the sticker.

4th trip to the dealer this week supposedly to fix brakes, door handle and door rattle. Supposedly the brake pad compound had to be redesigned. Door handle finally in. Was on backorder. Had more problems with this car in first 3 months than I had over 6 years and 2 Infinitis. I expected much more from Mercedes. I beginning to think it's just a lot of hype. With all of these problems I'm beginning to wonder how my long term experience will be. Lease up in 2017. If Mercedes wants me, my son in law who is also having issues with his W205 and his wife that drives an E350 to re-up in 2017 they have a lot of work to do to help us forget about this mess.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 BMW 520d xDrive, MB W205 C200 AMG Line
Originally Posted by bobs72ss
Door rattle which was thought to be a blown speaker. Speaker was replaced. Rattle still there. My guess is something in door resonating with speaker
Do you have ambient lights? That might be the cause. Mine will be replaced on monday. If that is the cause, the rattle will stop when you touch the led strip in the doors with your finger. I too tought it was something inside the speakers, but luckily the dealer found the real problem. It was indeed loose led trips in the doors. When the car is stationary, you can also test it by knocking on the door wood trim with you finger.

Mine rattle like hell in both doors and it's making me crazy. I'm glad it will be over soon. Then it's time to concentrate in the driver's door wind noise problem

Last edited by El_Ucca; 03-14-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by El_Ucca
Do you have ambient lights? That might be the cause. Mine will be replaced on monday. If that is the cause, the rattle will stop when you touch the led strip in the doors with your finger. I too tought it was something inside the speakers, but luckily the dealer found the real problem. It was indeed loose led trips in the doors. When the car is stationary, you can also test it by knocking on the door wood trim with you finger.

Mine rattle like hell in both doors and it's making me crazy. I'm glad it will be over soon. Then it's time to concentrate in the driver's door wind noise problem
Yes I do have ambient lighting. Thanks for the heads up. I will inform the dealer. That being said they should know this already.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 AM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by vic300
Just picked up a new C300. Car is an absolute beast but I'm having an issue with the USB port. Port 1 and the SD slot work fine, but I can't get USB Port 2 to work at all. Is there some sort of trick to activating the second port or is it just broken?
Experiencing same exact issue. I plugged a USB into 2nd port and now everything is frozen, even the temperature control buttons not working. What did you end up doing to fix the issue?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 PM

2015 C300
That's a new one

Originally Posted by bostonbenz2015
Experiencing same exact issue. I plugged a USB into 2nd port and now everything is frozen, even the temperature control buttons not working. What did you end up doing to fix the issue?
And the list keeps getting longer.... I'm afraid to take a chance and try to use mine. If something else goes wrong with my car I'll drive the car back to the dealer with "This car is a piece of ****" written all over it.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 PM

2023 AMG E53
And here's a new one...

There is an air bubble between the rear door quarter window and the glass laminate. This is a first. I'll post a picture later.

It's in for the third attempt to repair the LED. This loaner, like the last, is also with a dead LED handle.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by bostonc400
There is an air bubble between the rear door quarter window and the glass laminate. This is a first. I'll post a picture later.

It's in for the third attempt to repair the LED. This loaner, like the last, is also with a dead LED handle.
An air bubble problem in the laminate was reported a couple of months ago. The glass panel was replaced under warranty. It's a simple fix, but it makes one wonder if any quality inspections are being done before the cars leave the factory. Is there not a single person on the line who is capable of seeing badly fit fuel filler doors, misaligned rear bumper covers, sagging sunroof shades, or bubbles in the glass? Is there an actual final QC inspection team, or is it the responsibility of the assembly line workers to spot and report defects? Whatever system is being used at the Alabama plant, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Cosmetic defects should be obvious, and should be corrected before the car is allowed out of the factory. Unfortunately, too many cosmetic flaws are still being discussed in online forums. This is really inexcusable, especially for a premium brand.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:52 PM
PK1

Oh lord, please grant me...
I'm awaiting delivery of W205 (living in London, England, and believe that the car is being built in East London, SA), so I'm a little bit alarmed to see the poll indicating that 60%+ of new owners have had problems/faults/recalls. It seems as though many of the issues involve MBUSA/Alabama builds (just who is doing final assembly line checks there, eh?!) Not wishing to hijack this thread, or limit its scope, but I wonder if European and U.K. owners could comment a little more on their experiences, especially with East London manufactured LHD saloons (these cars have an 'R' in the VIN). Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PK1
It seems as though many of the issues involve MBUSA/Alabama builds (just who is doing final assembly line checks there, eh?!)

Old 03-18-2015, 05:01 AM
PK1

Oh lord, please grant me...
Lol, Stan! I feel your pain, but I'm glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humour Really sorry to hear about the probs that you'll been having stateside...
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Couple days ago I was pulling into my parking spot. I had to make a sharp left turn and it sounds like scraping underneath. Almost like the tires are rubbing up against the inner fenders.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM

W205
What is the problem now? And are you sure there was nothing underneath? What is your wheel and tire size? I don't think you are the first to make a sharpe turn and never heard such a complaint. So I don't think it's a typical W205 problem.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Originally Posted by Hans H
What is the problem now? And are you sure there was nothing underneath? What is your wheel and tire size? I don't think you are the first to make a sharpe turn and never heard such a complaint. So I don't think it's a typical W205 problem.

There was nothing underneath. Later I'm going to check the inner fender for rub marks. I have the 19 AMG alloy wheels on high performance tires
Old 03-18-2015, 03:30 PM

W205
Ok. Larger then I have, but not extreme. I think many are curious if you have scratch marks. It sounds remarkable.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM

2015 C300
AWD tire noise

I think what your hearing may just be the tire against the pavement. I made a hard fast left pulling into traffic and it made a noise almost like a rub. In my opinion it sounded more like the AWD making the front tires scrub on the pavement.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobs72ss
I think what your hearing may just be the tire against the pavement. I made a hard fast left pulling into traffic and it made a noise almost like a rub. In my opinion it sounded more like the AWD making the front tires scrub on the pavement.
How does AWD make the tires scrub? I've never heard of that, and I've been driving AWD cars for many years.

Any low profile tire can "stutter" while making low speed turns, but that's a function of the tire, not the drive system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?