C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Collision Prevention Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300de 2021
Collision Prevention Assist

I've my car now since June and most options I'm now familiar with (at least those I could afford).

One I haven't tested myself yet: "Collision Prevention Assist Plus". I don't dare. So, has anyone inadvertently had more than just the red triangle with or without the accompanying beeps when driving close or too close to a car?

I wonder what would happen if I forget to brake. Will the car stop by itself in time?

I trust someone has more experience than what the documentation & youtube shows. Real life, and without damage I hope.

thx!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM

C220 AMG Line Premium Plus (W205)
Seen this? It made my heart rate jump lol

Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM

GLC300de 2021
That's definitely an option I don't have... Real scary.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dsmalle
That's definitely an option I don't have... Real scary.
I have the whole drivers assistance pack so I should have it, but I won't be trying it!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
I wonder what the system would do if you are in your lane and someone is veering into you.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
So many possibilities to test. I wonder what would happen for two cars with the lane keep assist/distronic plus package veer into each other at the same time.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM

C220 AMG Saloon 2014 Premium Plus Bluetec
I tested this on my W205 UK, albeit not on purpose.

Some background:
I had an after-market MB-approved Tracker fitted, all legal and above board and fitted by an MB-approved company. The day after I had it fitted, I experienced a problem with the centre console - none of the centre console controls worked, no back-light either.

I called MB straightaway who advised to have the vehicle taken in. I booked it in. In the meantime, centre console started working again and didn't have any problems up until the appointment, which I kept just to make sure there were no underlying causes. It went in on Tuesday. They ran a diagnostic and couldn't find any faults. I should have left it there but they did advise to check with the Tracker company. Tracker sent an engineer round who found a fuse that was loose, which he fixed. He explained that it was not connected to the Tracker and he would be billing MB for the work as it was a pre-existing fault.

New problem:
Centre console worked but now the Engine management light was on and I experienced a lag in performance (still on Tuesday). Thought I would call MB again in the morning. In the meantime I was picking up a friend from central London. After picking him, his wife and his 6-month old child up and starting the car, the COMAND unit, which had no problems up until then, went completely blank (backlight was on). Engine management light was still amber. Tried turning car off and then in again a number of times but the problem persisted.

Anyway the drive to his house was largely uneventful until I reached the road next to his house, coming up to a well-lit crossing with nothing in front, nobody on the crossing and thankfully, no car behind me. The CPA light came on and the system beeped multiple times very fast and then BAM came to a complete standstill from 30mph before reaching the crossing! My friend was understandably like "WTF are you doing??!" I was like "It was the car, man! Got a mind of its own today..."

Anyway called MB Roadside Assistance calling it a "life-endangering fault" who offered to recover me home. It was the first time they had heard of anything like this. I found it easier to switch CPA off and drive home. They sent an engineer round in the morning who ran some diagnostics and discovered there was an issue with CPA, which was causing the engine management light to show up. They took it in on Wednesday to a dedicated MB service centre, i.e. not the branch I bought the car from and had misdiagnosed the fault first time round (and gave me a like-for-like replacement while mine was in the shop).

It's been repaired and I'll be speaking to the engineer tomorrow morning to discover why it happened when I pick it up. I will let you all know what he says. I will be testing it at the same crossing to ensure it was just a one-time thing due to the other issues.

Bottom line is: it works in that the car comes to a complete standstill (and the hazards come on) and I guess lesson to takeaway is that always have the work checked by MB if you have aftermarket devices like a Tracker fitted to the vehicle. I had made sure that the vehicle warranty was unaffected before the fit and thankfully so.

Last edited by shotchaser; 08-07-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4Matic
looks like what i would do to my girl friends lol....but i dont have that packadge
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by k187
Seen this? It made my heart rate jump lol

http://youtu.be/lgFtCB3m6SY
So did the W205 automatically correct the car to avoid hitting the other car next to it? The video doesn't really explain what was going on.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
So did the W205 automatically correct the car to avoid hitting the other car next to it? The video doesn't really explain what was going on.
Yeah from my understanding it doesn't steer but applies uneven breaking to make the car veer away. I'd love to see a statistic in a few years time on how many rear end colissions are blamed on the CPA lol (referring to the other post)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM

C220 AMG Saloon 2014 Premium Plus Bluetec
Update: Spoke with the engineer who said that the systems just needed resetting after the tracker was installed to recognise it as part of the car. The electrics were failing as power was routed to tracker and when everything seemed fine, the tracker was running off its own battery. Anyway all sorted now. Yet to test it on the same road but confident it's been fully resolved as have had no issues today.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
I wonder what are the security options that all new c-class have if you don't have this one ?

I feel that we have to pay for any option and nothing comes with the standard package ?

Cheaters !
Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by benzw205
I wonder what are the security options that all new c-class have if you don't have this one ?

I feel that we have to pay for any option and nothing comes with the standard package ?

Cheaters !
Huh? There's actually a lot that comes standard. Presafe plus for example is standard. Blind spot assist isn't.

Anyway standard just means they bundled it in the base price, nothing's free :p