C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 Test Drive: First Impressions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW X3
C300 Test Drive: First Impressions...

Hi - so as I posted elsewhere, I am a current BMW X3 28i owner and have driven the brand for almost 20 years now..Owning everything from M3 to x5 diesel to x6 50i to 550 v8's...

I did enjoy a C Class 240 back in 98 if I do recall correctly..Anyways, I only offer that up as context to the lens and experiences I approach the C300 with.

My X3 lease is up in less than a year and I may be ready for something a little different this go around..Have been shopping Audi and even Mini Cooper Countryman too.

First, I will say that the car I was able to test drive did not have sports suspension, 18's or even navigation. So not the vehicle I would order personally. But it was seat time none-the-less.

Overall? I'd give it a 7 out of 10 - which is pretty good considering the attributes I crave will be offered more in a sport suspension car.

Overall:
A nice blend of lux with enough sport for me too.
Solid fit and finish.
Rich interior as to be expected - much better than the CLA.

Driving:
Little body lean
No perceptible turbo-lag
Good acceleration (good enough for me as an everyday driver - remember I am currently driving N20 turbo 4 in x3).
I drove the car primarily in S and S+ mode for the record.

Doesn't have the rwd rowdiness, but I didn't expect that from 4matic. Living in the Midwest, 4matic is a prerequisite for me.

I found it to be a quiet ride - but not lexus isolating

Great, natural feel brakes..

Ergonomics:
Eh - the touchpad imo is frankly gimmicky and glitchy. Gotta be a huge margin hit for MB given its redundancy to the wheel it sits on.

Seating? Very good, but I'd like some time on sports seats.

The rest of the car? Lovely on the outside, good size trunk and enough room for my 2 Labradors when I need to haul em.

So would this 20 year BMW owner make the switch? Maybe. The fun to drive factor does not = a BMW 4 series imo - but it's close. I've got to get some seat time in a C400 too. For me it will come down to how that compares to the C300 and also lease rates and value relative to 435i Gran Coupe or Audi Q5 or SQ5. Still going back and forth between a sedan and SUV.

But Mercedes certainly has a really nice offering in the W205 imo, and it's high on the consideration list before and after test driving one.

Last edited by midwest Merc; 08-31-2014 at 07:41 PM.