C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Polar White vs. Diamond White

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Polar White vs. Diamond White

I've seen the difference on other MB vehicles. Wondering if anyone has any pictures of Diamond White side by side with a Polor white W205.

Also, any preference from folks. Scratches and swirls I bet work better on the Diamond white. Plus, polar seems quite common.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
No pics but Diamond White is a Tri Coat Pearl IIRC.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
The polar and tri-coat diamond white are frequent colors on most all models. Really have to see in person to get the guist...photos will distort it...and bet you'll be able to decide which you like looking at it on a different model. I personally find the diamond sparkly, less flat, but more 'yellowish'. Off topic, but I sure wish black wasn't so hard to keep clean....and they have more colors than several shades of grey.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4Matic
my last one had diamond white, and this time i went with polar white, not only because it is less expensive , also because i would feel less guilty about not taking as much care of the paint. especially when I am leasing.

Personally I think the difference between diamond and polar is subjective, and i find the polar white more flashy.

one more thing was that 3 stage pearl effects would require more work and a blending to finish , so hard that you can't easily find cheap alternatives if you somehow damaged the paint.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X253 GLC63S
I just went through this exact dilemma, mainly due to the dealer not having a polar white coming through until after December.

I went with the Diamond White due to delivery timeframes but still went and compared the two in person. I agree that its worth looking at them as photos do no justice.

Even in person it was difficult to compare them as I looked in shade and direct sunlight to form an opinion. I had to check up close to really be sure. I'd also think at night the DW would get some nice reflections. My colleagues' comment comparing it to a white van really killed PW for me!

I havent taken delivery yet but I'm happy with the DW decision because if price wasnt an issue I wouldve gone for it anyway.

The DW really added a depth of paint quality. I didnt find it yellow but if probably true if compared side by side but when are you ever side by side with another 205?

Also I dont think about if i'm going to damage it. Basically it comes with the territory and I'll get it repaired by Mercedes to get it right should that happen.

I thought about what it would look like in 3 years versus polar and I would *guess* that there is more longevity in the metallic?