C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 owners opinions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 AMG Line Premium Plus (W205)
Some more feedback

I tried the kick to open/close the boot, and it works every time. Maybe 2 out of 10 times though the boot fails to latch. I'm not sure if this is happening because I walk away from the car before it's locked or because there's a problem. Every time I wait around for it to close it's fine, or maybe that's just a coincidence.

I forgot to mention before, no aromatic + 19" alloys + run flat tyres = mega bumpy ride. I regret opting for 19" alloys. 18" with all season tyres would have been a lot better.

I can't get over how night and day the car is switching between sport+ and eco or even comfort. It almost leaps ahead from a standstill in sport+, so much so that i'm driving it only in sport+ now and taking the hit on the mpg.

It's still very new, but i'm driving it normally, no break in considerations, 500ish miles, second tank of fuel and it's going for it's first wash tomorrow

EDIT: One last thing, I have keyless go, and i have auto-lock doors on. I assume that's only for when you're in the car and start driving. If i walk away from the car with keys in my pocket but forget to lock it, it doesn't seem to lock itself after a little while. I'm slowly getting into the habit of touching the door to lock it when I leave.

Last edited by k187; 09-25-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
Enabled entry locator lights yesterday, nice touch that the door handles illuminate
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Originally Posted by k187
Some more feedback

I tried the kick to open/close the boot, and it works every time. Maybe 2 out of 10 times though the boot fails to latch. I'm not sure if this is happening because I walk away from the car before it's locked or because there's a problem. Every time I wait around for it to close it's fine, or maybe that's just a coincidence.

I forgot to mention before, no aromatic + 19" alloys + run flat tyres = mega bumpy ride. I regret opting for 19" alloys. 18" with all season tyres would have been a lot better.

I can't get over how night and day the car is switching between sport+ and eco or even comfort. It almost leaps ahead from a standstill in sport+, so much so that i'm driving it only in sport+ now and taking the hit on the mpg.

It's still very new, but i'm driving it normally, no break in considerations, 500ish miles, second tank of fuel and it's going for it's first wash tomorrow

EDIT: One last thing, I have keyless go, and i have auto-lock doors on. I assume that's only for when you're in the car and start driving. If i walk away from the car with keys in my pocket but forget to lock it, it doesn't seem to lock itself after a little while. I'm slowly getting into the habit of touching the door to lock it when I leave.
Glad to see the kicking is working better. I haven't had problems with latching myself. Yeah I opted for 18 simply because I live in the city but I also have airmatic.

The difference between Comfort and Sport+ is crazy isn't it, you should feel it with the airmatic, it's like driving two different cars.

I don't think it locks itself when you walk away. I also just use the buttons on the door. I keep forgetting when I valet or go to the car wash to give them the keys.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by abstractls
Glad to see the kicking is working better. I haven't had problems with latching myself. Yeah I opted for 18 simply because I live in the city but I also have airmatic.

The difference between Comfort and Sport+ is crazy isn't it, you should feel it with the airmatic, it's like driving two different cars.

I don't think it locks itself when you walk away. I also just use the buttons on the door. I keep forgetting when I valet or go to the car wash to give them the keys.
I think what makes the most difference is that in sport+ there's an immediate response to the accelerator pedal. In other modes there's a long delay where it tries to figure out what you're trying to do and which gear to shift to. I found after driving in normal modes (comfort/eco etc) it's almost dangerous in sport+ because i'm expecting the lag and its not there - i'm pushed back into my seat as it leaps off the start line lol.

Also when on the motorway, it shifts at higher revs and so there's no loss in power when it shifts up, and you're doing 90/100 before you know it in sport+. In normal modes it changes gears too early, and you sit and wait for it to catch up.

I've never actually used the key since I got it, but it's really easy to forget to lock it. I've don't it so many time already, but none noticed At least it's easy to see form a distance if it's locked or not (mirrors in/out).
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Some more feedback

I tried the kick to open/close the boot, and it works every time. Maybe 2 out of 10 times though the boot fails to latch.

I regret opting for 19" alloys. 18" with all season tyres would have been a lot better.

The auto-lock simply locks the doors when the car is in motion. It has no other function. I'm enjoying the touch open/close feature on the doors ... really easy to use. I had a car that would automatically lock the doors when I left the car. I hated that feature and am very glad that this doesn't do that.

I have the 18's on my C300 and they are firm, but do have decent compliance over rough roads.

Haven't tried the kick to open feature on the trunk yet ... just doesn't seem right to kick the bumper. I will try it later ... may have to wrap a microfiber cloth around my shoe.

Last edited by StanNH; 09-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
The auto-lock simply locks the doors when the car is in motion. It has no other function. I'm enjoying the touch open/close feature on the doors ... really easy to use. I had a car that would automatically lock the doors when I left the car. I hated that feature and am very glad that this doesn't do that.

I have the 18's on my C300 and they are firm, but do have decent compliance over road roads.

Haven't tried the kick to open feature on the trunk yet ... just doesn't seem right to kick the bumper. I will try it later ... may have to wrap a microfiber cloth around my shoe.
Lol don't kick the bumper! You kick under the car into empty space to open and same again to close. It's supposed to be if your hands are full of bags etc.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM

X253 GLC63S
Love a good Microfibre wrapped shoe!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did my best Karate Kid imitation, but all I got was a sore thigh muscle. I think you need the Hands Free option package for this to work.

I think I heard the car laughing at me ...
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Lol don't kick the bumper! You kick under the car into empty space to open and same again to close. It's supposed to be if your hands are full of bags etc.

Here is the official how to video; Yes you have to have Keyless Go
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Leslielp
Here is the official how to video; Yes you have to have Keyless Go
Mercedes Benz C Class W205 2014 Hands Free Access Open Trunk Without Hands - YouTube
Apparently you need both the Keyless Go and the Hands Free Access package for this to work. Keyless Go alone, which I have, isn't enough.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
Some more feedback

What tyres comes with 19'', performance ones ( summer ) ? What do you think to use in winter, do you have smaller rims with winter tyres or will you look for 19'' winter tyres to replace?
Old 09-27-2014, 01:58 AM

Picked up my C300 Iridium Silver AMG Style..... btw I ordered it last Friday, 7 days is some sort of record here in Toronto I am told.

Took my C300 for a nice country road and highway drive a few minutes ago.

The Sport mode should be the natural default for the AMG style sport setup.

This C300 is a lot quicker than my W204 C300. The launch off the mark is breath taking.
In Sport mode taking a corner faster than 100kmh requires a lot of steering input and micro corrections. I think its a battle between the 4Matic and the ESP system. The acceleration curve seems bottomless. This chasse eats asphalt, I am sure this car can hit the max speedometer limit with out breaking a sweat. Power between 80 -100, 100 - 140 and 140 - 180 seems consistent.
Merging and passing on highway is effortless and when you kick down on the pedal the engine sound that comes through to the cabin is addictive.
This was the most fun I have had in a car since my first 5 speed manual 1.6L Honda Civic. I still have a huge learning curve with my new C300, it is on a different planet from my W204.
The Eco, Comfort and Sport settings are truly like having three very different cars. The Eco mode I expected to be a setting that I would never use. So I am pleased to say it does some things that make you think the car is smarter than average. It is a very un MB feel but it was not slow but felt lighter if that makes any sense.
The Comfort is the most like my W204 in steering weight and ride.
The Agility select lets you raise it while driving but shuts it off and lowers the car once you pick up speed.
For those W204 C300 or C250 guys thinking about a W205, you have to get over any bias you may have toward this Turbo 4 Cylinder engine.
This engine can easily get you in some serious speeding fine territory.
Test drive both the C300 and C400. I sometimes do some spirited driving and the C400 was a scary power plant on my test drive. I would have to admit it is way more car than I could safely handle. Left powered turns in the C400 are a bit unnerving. Acceleration is borderline BEAST Mode.

The C300 is a very planted ride. The suspension setup on this version in Sport mode feel like a sports car . The bottom line is, it feel fast, sounds fast and looks fast, now what more can you ask.

Things I noticed.
The 2 USB will give power even when engine is turned off, I don't recall what mine did on my W204. They give you the cables for a micro USB and the older iPhone plug.
The ash tray under the rear seat vent control is only another 12V plug not the 120V 2 Slot found on my W204.
There are no Headlight washers that I could see?
The glove box may not open fully but is bigger and hold the User Manual pouch in a cut out area of the bottom drawer so you actually get more storage space than before.
The Garage sync took a bit longer to get the rolling code off my garage door open than I recalled.
Lighted front Door Sill look amazing but no sills on the back door is just too much penny pinching on MB's part.
There is what looks like a computer module under the passenger seat so those winter/rubber mats will be needed.
The trunk open close sensor system is erratic but does work.
The ambient lighting system is not as bright as advertised, I have mine set up to the Max level 5 and its not distractingly bright. White, Gold and Blue are brightest to less bright.
The quick menu buttons for Nav, Radio, Media, etc are a must since there is so many menus that you can bury yourself deep into one item and then its a chore to get out to do something simple like change the radio channel or move to the next song.
I have not tried the Linguistic voice command so that might be a solution.
The Active LED lighting system is too bright and very active more like ADHD. The corner lights work as well as the ones in my W204. Will illuminate the left or right corner on turn signals or steering input.
All the Assist functions are activated through the steering wheel control menu and the indash screen.
All the screen are true HD in text and viewing angle ease of reading.
Front Parktronic is no longer that LED bar mounted on the dash but is now imbedded in the in dash screen at the top as a multi coloured stereo bar. Much greater distance sensitivity.
The cruise control is where the turn signal was on the W204 so you will be doing a lot of cruising and uncruising for the first few days.
The exterior illumination is beautiful and very bright. Each door handle gets its own white LED and gone are the yellow under side mirror light in the W204 replaced with white LEDs. I did not see any colour change from Blue to white.
Easy Exit on the in car Owners manual shows you that its only the steering wheel that is highlighted.
Reverse camera works great and syncs with the passenger side mirror. The rear view stays on for a few seconds after you change to D, the lines disappear with the watch surrounds message.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
What about the computer / command system, do you like it ?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 PM

I am still working on finding a way to copy CD like I was able to on my W204.
With the driver door slightly ajar you can actuate the door lock with the Keyless Go system. This will basically not allow you to open the door from the outside. You can body the door close but this has no effect on the ability to open the door from the outside.
My W204 would disable the Keyless GO locking system if any door was ajar. On the W205 the Locking system seems to be disabled on the other doors but not on the driver door. I think this is a program error of some sort.
Hand washing the car with Key Fob in pocket is something to be avoided. Not only will the doors constantly open and close as you clean around the door handle but the trunk will open up as you clean around the rear bumper mouldings if you have this option.
I have not tried it but like the W204 all these functions are supposed to be disabled when the car is ON or in motion.
There is no lane departure warning on the non Intelligent drive assist. My W204 had this as a steering wheel thumping vibration along with the blind spot warning lights and chimes.
By setting the rear camera to display when cover is open allows you to see right up until it closes, so as you drive forward the Command display shows the rear view for a few seconds longer.
The dual antennas are built into the rear wind screen.
On the AMG 18" wheels you can actually clean most of the rim both the outside and inside under and around the break disks and calipers. Easier on the rear since disks are smaller. (I got small hands that helps as well )
You can voice command to any station HD FM or Satellite by name or FM Station number.
Careful what you put in the glove box. Since the Manual will be resting on the moving door panel if you have anything boxed shape it could jam the open function until a hard turn moves it.
Don't be paranoid but yes people are staring at you, well the car actually.
Driving in heavy stop and go traffic is now a pleasure this is a wonderful car with lots to learn.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 PM

c300 4Matic
- radio is annoying. It shows the station on centre console. Press down shows preset menu, press down again changes station. So if the menu is not up two downs, if it is, then one down to change station. That means I have to look down and see what it's doing all the time.
So I'm having the same radio changing problem as k187. When I go to change the radio preset station from the steering wheel control, I have to press the up or down button twice to change a channel. The first press brings up a list of the presents and the second press finally changes the channel. Has anyone found a way to make it so that only one press of the steering wheel up/down buttons changes the preset station?

If it was purposely programmed this way by the MB engineers, I am lost as to why

Last edited by dwjohns1085; 02-10-2015 at 05:36 PM.