C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

My C Class observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by alsyli
I think part of the reason why some people react negatively to your posts is because you sometimes simply don't know what you're talking about.

MB has been "artificially inflating MSRP" (whatever that even means) and selling their cars for far less than the MSRP since at leas the 1990s (my father got $10,000 off his $47,000 300E w/o much effort). When the W126 was getting long in tooth in the late 80s and early 90s, they'd offer you $10,000-15,000 off WITHOUT YOU EVEN HAVING TO ASK.

Likewise, the LS400 was $35,000 when it was first introduced in 1990. That was about the same MSRP as our 190e. The LS is now $72,000. Did Lexus "artificially inflate" their price? Or were they getting government subsidies or willing to simply take a loss temporarily for market share?

You do realize that, at least as of a few yrs ago, delayed-off interior lights were an OPTION on a Porsche Cayenne, right? Every manufacturer engages in this, and MB is no better or worse than most, in this regard. In fact, one could argue that Porsche and BMWs are the kings of hugely expensive option packages.... (the $78,000 base Panamera comes w/... PARTIAL leather seats as standard).

I don't think you're a troll at all.. In fact, I imagine you're probably a pretty nice guy. But, as strange as this sounds for an enthusiast's forum, I think you need to stop taking what you drive so seriously. It's just a car. Seriously. It doesn't define who you are.
Actually I'd advise to you face your last comment into a mirror as it'd be more accurately presented. This is after all a car forum, not a gossip site.

Nobody brought up options. And yes, when you have to discount a car to such a degree, your MSRP is artificially inflated. By definition. It's really nothing to get butt hurt about.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Yogibara
Just took a test drive of a C400 and I have to say I'm very impressed with the torque on this car! The differences between Comfort and Sport + are night and day but either one will give you the acceleration for day-to-day driving.

The interior is amazing! I will say though that I felt that the door handles were a little cheap feeling. Almost as if I yanked hard enough it would probably break. The wood trim is really nice in most places. I did however notice that the "veneer" on the center console was a little thin. It's clearly rolled on to a curved plastic surface but there's a noticeable seam between the curved part and the vertical part. it's the same on several models I looked at today. Dials, buttons seems solid. The passenger seat controls are a bit deceiving. The headrest control is present but serves no function as the passenger head rest appears to be manual only. Would have been nicer to not have a knob there at all. While I was driving I noticed the high-beam, low-beam and another indicator all lit up briefly for no apparent reason. The cranberry red is a little darker than it looks online but still a must have with a black exterior. The panoramic roof is a must have. I know my kids are going to love having their own little window to the sky. BTW, manual side sun shades are listed as OPTIONAL but in reality their standard. On my build invoice I have a credit for the cost of the option. The stitched pleather dashboard is an attractive touch and really makes the car look top-notch. The steering wheel looks great with the flat bottom but the center piece looks cheap and plastic-y.

Exterior, what's to say really? The front is aggressive, beautifully designed and flows perfectly with the sides of the car. I don't care much for the rear on this car. It seems that the car is longer in the front and stubby in the back. But when you put it all together it just works. Unlike the CLA's rear end which just looks horrendous. The LED DRLs and tail lights are really cool looking and add to the overall sharp-edged look MB is trying to accomplish.

The engine is full of torque and the Sport + feature takes full advantage of it. It's an almost instant attitude change of the car when you switch it on the go and floor it. Your head will be pressed into the headrest all the way up past 90 MPH, guaranteed. My Audi S5 would be hard pressed to keep up with this car from the line.

Bottom-line: Someone on this forum said it best and I agree. Audi and BMW have both been called out and it's as if they were both caught with their pants down. The 2015 C Class makes their models look plain and lacking in comparison.

So will I buy it? I mean I'm an Audi enthusiast and believe in their products. The answer is a resounding YES! The car has class, speed, technology and quality all over it. It's not perfect, and it certainly NOT an S-Class, when it comes to overall quality but it's not that far from it. My plan is to lease it for 24-30 months and get whatever new and improved version is out. Hell maybe even the C63.
I imagine the C400 really rounds this car out. The power alone should compensate in at least one way for a lack of sportiness those like me feel from the C300. Though I imagine the suspension is the same so technically handling might suffer a bit from the extra weight? It might or might not hamper chassis balance further but it'd provide one aspect of waking up the otherwise sedate and more clinical vibe, if that's what you seek.

I was happy to see MB finally supply a true Sports Mode. When I got to BMW I noticed that their Sport Mode was really like a total engineering driven change. Almost too aggressive (which is how it should be). The Sport modes on my MB's always felt like marketing gimmicks rather than actual sporty engineered character alterations.

What I like most about the C's SM is how you can customize it, which makes it very useable on the roads as you can tone down things you don't need. I also want to mention that the 9G trans in the C to me felt like the 7G which personally was a bit of an upset as I didn't feel much of an added sense of sharpness or refinement, though it does the job, and I'm sure is meant to feed the cars overall characteristic of luxury. I just think the 7G deserves a huge upgrade to catch up to other gearboxes.

Funny you guys mention the door handles as the one in the car I drove had its kind if snapped off and "loosened" somehow.

I also think the stand-up screen trend looks terrible, but it's an IMO fad that many are doing. Just a lazy and un-cohesive approach. I imagine it'll look very dated and time specific (and clunky) in due time. The Burnmeister speaker grills and seats of the C are what surprised me the most as they take things to another level above competitors in the segment. I'd say the C interior compares closer to the 5 than it does the 3, and totally outdoes the E interior.

Last edited by K-A; 10-08-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by Pete1968
Not a mercedes man myself, but I think we can all agree that the C-class currently has the best interior of it's class. By a mile even.. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate the C-class interior at 9 and the current A4 interior at 5.

I know it hurts audi owner's, who is used to owning the cream of the crop in that repspect but Mercedes really pulled a fast one here.. brilliant strategy really..they jumped one full generation and one full class with this interior.
I dunno I sat in one and it just made me not want to own one. My CLK63 has an actual shifter. I can rest my hand on it. As a driver, you know, someone who can handle the shifting, having that is nice. Especially since I can click left and right to shift without taking my arm out my girlfriends grasp.

The ipad thing. Seriously. That is just retardedly ugly and should have been integrated somehow.

The cheap plastic rings around the air vents. Ugh. Double Ugh. Go back and sit in a CLK. The interior has an amazing feel to it. The air vents are leathered right up to the chrome trim ring. The only thing I'd want different in the CLK would be a couple extra buttons on the radio for changing channels up and down by preset rather than seeking.

I think the C63 was a step sideways... better steering wheel, good dash, but kinda gizmodish. Gave up the analog gauges.

But the new C is definitely a step backwards. It's nice, but it has no... soul.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
Actually I'd advise to you face your last comment into a mirror as it'd be more accurately presented.
You're absolutely right: I'm a pretty nice guy myself.

And I think we'll just leave it at that....
Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
But the new C is definitely a step backwards.
I took time to read your words. Then you get to the end and you read a statement like that. That is when you realize that you wasted your time reading the ramblings of a Troll.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I took time to read your words. Then you get to the end and you read a statement like that. That is when you realize that you wasted your time reading the ramblings of a Troll.
Why would anyone insult and denigrate the vehicular choice of others ... and on a forum dedicated to that vehicle?

The answer is that they want to provoke others into an attack and counter-attack online scenario. Posts like this are meant to be inflammatory and serve no other purpose. The poster, whose true identity always remains unknown, will typically snipe on many diverse forums, thriving on the emotional reactions coming from those on the receiving end of the insults.

These posts must be ignored. The old adage, "Do not feed the trolls" stands as the only wise course of action in these situations.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Agree Stan..

I was looking at some pictures of past mercedes models, 70's and onwards, and it suddenly hit me what it is about the exterior of the new C-Class, that i find so appealing.

I have to mention that i fell for the Exclusive styling (Luxury in the US)

Never having onwed a Mercedes before, and frankly never having paid them much mind in my adult life, I always had a soft spot for the early W124 models, The ones from the 80's Every now and again during the last 5 years or so, I would browse online classifieds to see if there was a good one-owner for sale. Of course now the good ones are collectables and commanding premium prices.

Getting to the point, i realised (i may stand corrected as i do not kow all mercedes models by heart) that Mercedes dramatically changed the front end styling from the facelifted W124 and onwards. Depating the traditional mercedes look, to a much more integrated look, by making the grill sit flush with the bumper and bonnet.

That look never felt quite right by me, not for the traditional style models anyway

Now though, with the new S class and C-class the grill is back, looking more like it did originally. Very clever move i think..

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/w123...e300e.jpg.html
Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by K-A
I tested one. Found the interior very impressive for this class of car.... until I noticed the price of an even somewhat basic spec. I feel like it's an obvious case of corporate-trickery when it comes to presentation, e.g they want the interior to appear much more expensive than others in its class, but if you look at the details, they had to cut costs somewhere to meet margins, hence some of lacking of finer things.

My impression was mostly mixed. Interior was the obvious home run, though definitely geared toward a classic Mercedes "mature" crowd, which is fine, as it's a Mercedes and IMO they should stop trying to be BMW and sporty. The W205 seems like M-B has accepted and now re-embraced being the less youthful/sporty option yet with the tradeoff of being the more glammy and "older fashioned" option. The design shows this the most as the rear is pretty "old person" looking (not in a bad way, necessarily, as it's M-B appropriate though I personally don't really like it as a design, therefore maybe exposing itself as too mature for a C) as it takes directly from the S (another issue, as I think the S and C should have similar but different rears, the W204/W221 did this well as the 204 was a little more simple and youthful, while the S more opulent vibe'd.... now they both wear the same, not the best design IMO to begin with, and it doesn't quite work on the C). The design as a whole was pretty off, gawky, quirky and inconsistent to me, personally.

The drive was pretty good, but didn't really impress me one way or another. Solid, livable, everyday "enjoyable for the masses" style, not very characteristic or shining in any one area (handling is decent but gets a little sloppy when pushed, comfort and solidity are strong but the chassis didn't feel write-home-about tight and its solid comfort levels came at the expense of a sort of floaty ride), definitely not as dynamic as the 3 Series, but maybe the C400 would inject more life into it. I feel like the drive is also geared as more luxury and commuter-driven than sporty, and that even the W204 felt a little sportier?

All in all, I think even with the interior inconsistencies, it shames the 3 Series and current A4 interiors, no doubt, a total step up. Everything else, it wasn't really my thing and I wasn't too impressed, especially for the seemingly raised price, but a solid car through and through, definitely more balanced and better executed than the current E, which makes that car pointless to get IMO with the new C simply trumping it.

I also on a personal level think that being built in America is a deterrent. I feel like M-B's made in Germany (same goes for BMW) have a certain feeling to them, and a certain finer consistency that the American built models don't. It's definitely emotional, maybe it's also tangible (maybe it sways between both), but I personally prefer my German cars shipped from Germany.... after all, you know it's part of the badge-premium you pay on all these cars.
Just curious whether you had a chance to drive the C with 18" rims, or the one with the Sports Package (with 'sports suspension'), or just the regular C300?

Interesting observations, and pretty consistant with what the car reviewers on Youtube that are more passionate about driving say (that the BMW is just more engaging for fun driving, while the C class is very relaxing to drive). Definitely made me consider my options again, but the current 3 series just doesn't look special-enough, as I have to impress clients when I arrive at their locations. 4/5 series do look better, but the price doesn't...
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Yes, Pete, Mercedes has done an admirable job in once again offering distinctive styling. I think both the standard and Luxury front ends are attractive, and both fit the lines of the car well.

Most of the negative comments I've read come from people with either no or very limited experience with the car. Those of us who have spent some time in the W205 have a somewhat different perspective, but even we will point out areas that still need to be addressed.

Objective reviews, constructive criticism, suggestions, questions and answers, and praise when appropriate, are what the best car forums are all about. There will always be those who try to disrupt things, but that's just the nature of the Internet and the anonymity it offers.

Hopefully, as more and more W205's get out there, this forum will become even more active so we can have an ever growing base of owners to share our experiences with.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by StanNH
Most of the negative comments I've read come from people with either no or very limited experience with the car. Those of us who have spent some time in the W205 have a somewhat different perspective, but even we will point out areas that still need to be addressed.

Objective reviews, constructive criticism, suggestions, questions and answers, and praise when appropriate, are what the best car forums are all about. There will always be those who try to disrupt things, but that's just the nature of the Internet and the anonymity it offers.
In many cases, people (humans are somewhat narcissistic by nature) conflate "good vs bad" with "I like it vs. I don't like it". Even though the MB brand is no longer for me (but is for my wife!), and there are some specific items worthy of critique ("iPad nav screen), I think it is indisputable that MB makes excellent vehicles, W205 included. The challenge is for folks to be able to distinguish excellence, per se, versus the particular style, image, and type of driving experience a car delivers. The better buff book journalists are able to figure out, "Great car, but not for an enthusiast". That should be the goal for forum members as well if they find a car just isn't for them. Just being different from what you want doesn't make it wrong or bad.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Just curious whether you had a chance to drive the C with 18" rims, or the one with the Sports Package (with 'sports suspension'), or just the regular C300?

Interesting observations, and pretty consistant with what the car reviewers on Youtube that are more passionate about driving say (that the BMW is just more engaging for fun driving, while the C class is very relaxing to drive). Definitely made me consider my options again, but the current 3 series just doesn't look special-enough, as I have to impress clients when I arrive at their locations. 4/5 series do look better, but the price doesn't...
No I only drove the C400 with 19" wheels. Felt fine to me. But keep in mind I have an S5 with 20" and lowered with sport suspension. My wife said the ride was excellent. I'm 43 and she's 39 so we might prefer a slightly stiffer ride. Her everyday car is a VW Routan (minivan). Our key takeaway was that the car's ride was solid, quiet (somewhat) and reactive.

On the cabin noise, I would say it was noisier then I would have expected but the PZero tires are notorious for noise. Wind noise was nonexistent.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The only problem I have with the luxury model are those hideous wheels. They are the ugliest wheels I have ever seen on a "luxury" car. MB is forcing you to buy optional wheels if you care anything about how the car looks.

M
Old 10-09-2014, 12:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mihaelb

I believe it had 18" wheels. It did have some packages and/or optionsthat stickered it at just over $50k. The 3 Series basis that I'm using as a comparison is a base 328i mind you. I just found the 3 to drive considerably better, personally, just more thoroughly engineered. But yeah it gives up a lot in the way of interior to the C. They appear from a different class inside.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The only problem I have with the luxury model are those hideous wheels. They are the ugliest wheels I have ever seen on a "luxury" car. MB is forcing you to buy optional wheels if you care anything about how the car looks.
I wouldn't call them the ugliest... but that's your opinion

My C Class observations-1li94ip.jpg

My C Class observations-gvd1gsn.jpg
Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^ Those wheels are terrible. Some of the worst looking wheels on the market. Mercedes is doing this to force an up sell. Shameful. The ride height is ridiculous too.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-09-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

M
What I was very happy to see is that MB is charging for the Sport Package again. Very important to allow enthusiasts to equip their cars in a way to stand out from others and important in coming off like a luxury brand (luxury brands provide exclusive choices and variation between products). M Sport, S Line, etc. are all priced at premiums. After the recent gen cars all come with the "AMG Sport" look for free, it's rendered it the ubiquitous, standard, normal look. I hope this means MB is gonna give it (Sport look) a more exclusive factor therefore let it regain its presence on the roads.

Last edited by K-A; 10-09-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
What I was very happy to see is that MB is charging for the Sport Package again. Very important to allow enthusiasts to equip their cars in a way to stand out from others and important in coming off like a luxury brand (luxury brands provide exclusive choices and variation between products). M Sport, S Line, etc. are all priced at premiums. After the recent gen cars all come with the "AMG Sport" look for free, it's rendered it the ubiquitous, standard, normal look. I hope this means MB is gonna give it (Sport look) a more exclusive factor therefore let it regain its presence on the roads.
This has nothing to do with having a better looking standard wheel for luxury model like they do in other markets.

M
Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

It does if it means they wanna force everybody to get the Sport package to lift their margins, lol.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:18 PM

This has nothing to do with having a better looking standard wheel for luxury model like they do in other markets.

M
The 17" multispokes (20 spokes) is so far, the same wheel option with the exclusive/luxury package in all markeds. They look great, but you probably would not know that, as the style is called class.

I am buying a 2nd set for winter.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
They look great, but you probably would not know that, as the style is called class.
My C Class observations-osmzyvb.gif
Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
In many cases, people (humans are somewhat narcissistic by nature) conflate "good vs bad" with "I like it vs. I don't like it". Even though the MB brand is no longer for me (but is for my wife!), and there are some specific items worthy of critique ("iPad nav screen), I think it is indisputable that MB makes excellent vehicles, W205 included. The challenge is for folks to be able to distinguish excellence, per se, versus the particular style, image, and type of driving experience a car delivers. The better buff book journalists are able to figure out, "Great car, but not for an enthusiast". That should be the goal for forum members as well if they find a car just isn't for them. Just being different from what you want doesn't make it wrong or bad.
Yes, but I think there's also a different ways of defining an "enthusiast," no? Simply lowering the height and firming up the ride doesn't make a car sporty or make it interesting for an enthusiast. Older, non-sport BMWs, actually, had great ride quality while still offering the kind of steering feel and body control that makes a car feel athletic (even at legal speeds).

I don't think most Honda and Mazdas are overtly sporty, but they clearly have been tuned by people who "get" driving.

IMHO, Mercedes also makes cars for people who "understand" driving, but the brand makes very "serious" cars (meaning that driving an MB isn't going to put a smile on your face they that another car might).
Old 10-09-2014, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by alsyli
Yes, but I think there's also a different ways of defining an "enthusiast," no? Simply lowering the height and firming up the ride doesn't make a car sporty or make it interesting for an enthusiast. Older, non-sport BMWs, actually, had great ride quality while still offering the kind of steering feel and body control that makes a car feel athletic (even at legal speeds).

I don't think most Honda and Mazdas are overtly sporty, but they clearly have been tuned by people who "get" driving.

IMHO, Mercedes also makes cars for people who "understand" driving, but the brand makes very "serious" cars (meaning that driving an MB isn't going to put a smile on your face they that another car might).
Yes, of course, I was using "enthusiast" just as an example. Using your terms of "get" or "understand" driving, there still remains a range of desired outcomes. My real point is that we need not to think what we individually happen to like is "right"....it's just the flavor we like. Otherwise, we might as well argue the merits of chocolate versus strawberry ice cream flavors. None of the cars discussed here are Yugos and most companies produce high quality products in this decade of the industry's history. MB builds excellent cars, so do their neighbors from Bavaria. They make different "flavors", some make you smile, some comfort you to say "ahhhhhh"....neither is better nor worse...."ya pays ya money...ya takes yer cherce".....that's from some old movie. Last time I tried my first MB; I like the BMW "flavor" better. Just a choice.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Nice pics! Everyone different, the Luxury wheels are by FAR my favorite offered on W205, classy, and I think the height very stately. Not wheels I'd put on a sports car, but very MB.

Last edited by floridadriver; 10-09-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:26 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Not that this explains any of the observations in this thread, but I thought it was cool so here is a video of W205 production in Germany from back in Feb.

2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Production - YouTube

I am sure it was posted earlier, but I haven't seen it until today. Enjoy. I'd love to see something similar from the plant in Alabama.
love these kind of vids.........the accuracy with the machines is astounding, C is a great looking ride
Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
My real point is that we need not to think what we individually happen to like is "right"....it's just the flavor we like. Otherwise, we might as well argue the merits of chocolate versus strawberry ice cream flavors. None of the cars discussed here are Yugos and most companies produce high quality products in this decade of the industry's history.
Absolutely agree. I actually very much liked the 3-series we had for a few yrs. I just prefer the ergonomics and reliability of MB. And I was prone to driving too aggressively w/ the 3-series (which is VERY unlike me, BTW.... Honest).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C Class observations