C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin SD Card/MB Apps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
Anyone with a canadian car try this out (the SD card doesn't seem to be available in Canada).
Old 12-30-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Smile Garmin Live Traffic?

Originally Posted by Red450SL

Ok, just received my Garmin SD card. Just plugged it in and it was working right away. I am very satisfied with it. I was told by two dealers that the Real Time Traffic only worked on the Command Nav, but I'm happy to report that is not the case. As you can see from my picture, traffic does indeed work as long as you have Sirius Traffic activated. In my opinion, the Garmin is nicer than the Command Nav that I had in my 2012 C250.

This is great news! I really need the Live Traffic aspect as I live in the San Francisco Bay area. Use Google maps on my iPhone now. Unless I'm driving my wife's Infiniti which has Sirius Traffic. How do you activate Sirius Traffic for the Garmin SD card? Does it provide accurate traffic information for all locations like Google maps or does it limit traffic information to certain locations and roads? Otherwise, how has this product worked out for you?

Need to decide tomorrow between Garmin SD and the Multi. Hope you can respond by then. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM

2015 C300
Just make sure you have option 355. this will not work if you do not.

Here is the link where you can purchase the SD card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-Garmin-MAP-Pilot-for-Audio-20-2015-C-Class-Sedan-/191393192920?vxp=mtr
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 PM

2015 C-Class C300W4
Another quick bit of love for the Garmin Map Pilot. The photo-realistic backgrounds for the lane assist screens are very accurate and helpful. Check out the screenshot below - you can see the Nashville iconic "Batman" building on the Navi screen AND through the window. It's amazingly realistic with the location of guardrails, bridges, buildings, and everything. Kudos to Garmin -- this is the best vehicle NAV system I've ever used.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
just out of curiosity, how come it says East 40 in the nav when it's actually west 40 in the highway pic?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM

2015 C-Class C300W4
Originally Posted by huyuci
just out of curiosity, how come it says East 40 in the nav when it's actually west 40 in the highway pic?
Wow, great catch! How funny that I was bragging about the accuracy of the Garmin and there's a big ol' error right there! First time I've seen it make a mistake.

(Btw, the overhead sign is correct -- it's 40W.)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Btw, how did you get it to show the lane assit? Is it automatic?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM

2015 C300
SD Card Install

Does this SD card go into the card slot in the center console where the USB ports are? Or is there a separate slot for it?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 PM

2015 C-Class C300W4
Originally Posted by mb300happy
Does this SD card go into the card slot in the center console where the USB ports are? Or is there a separate slot for it?

Thanks!
Yes.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM

SLK55AMG KLEEMAN
Does anyone know if a generic (but genuine) Garmin Map SD card will work instead of the MB offered one? Seems ludicrous to me to pay $500-600 to MB when an SD Map card direct from the Garmin site is $79!

My wife is ready to cancel our order for a new CLA over this. I don't mind paying a fair price for the card but this seems a little excessive. We have been driving new Benzes for 30yrs. and certainly understand that most things Mercedes are at a premium. But to pay 7.5 times what Garmin sells a map for because it's branded MB is reaching in a little too far for me.
H
Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 AM
nnk

W205
It is not just the map. The SD Card also stores the Mercedes specific software.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:17 PM

volvo s40 1,9 cd
Have any of you a idea of what to do if theres is no SD slot in the car? Mine has only two USB and if one day I decide to buy the MB garmin pilot navigation system is it necessary to open a slot and make a lot of work in the connections?

Thank you
Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 AM

w205
Originally Posted by aseara
Have any of you a idea of what to do if theres is no SD slot in the car? Mine has only two USB and if one day I decide to buy the MB garmin pilot navigation system is it necessary to open a slot and make a lot of work in the connections?

Thank you
They all have SDCard slots next to the USB ports.. Look carefully as its just a small slit.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM

CLA250
Originally Posted by MrLong
Is the only option is to pay $500 plus for this sd card? Can we not get an sd card from amazon or elsewhere for a lesser price and plug it in?

How did you get Sirius Traffic? Because I got the Navi 20 I was told I couldnt get that stuff.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith1
How did you get Sirius Traffic? Because I got the Navi 20 I was told I couldnt get that stuff.
Wonder who told you that you can't get traffic with the Navi 20 CD? My guess would be a salesman. Regardless, if you pass on the overpriced Multi Media option and get the Garmin SD card instead, you can get Sirius Traffic. I have it and it works great.
There are a bunch of mysteries about the Garmin system because it is new and most sales people have not taken the time to learn how it works. In fact, the Garmin actually has some very good documentation - but it is hidden away in a file on the SD card. The technology expert at the dealership was totally unaware of the existence of Garmin documentation until I asked him about it. We checked his Garmin SD card and there it was - a 25 page documentation guide on how to use the Garmin Nav. One of the gems in that document is the first 6 months of Sirius Traffic is free.
Even before I found out about this documentation and the free Traffic, I called Sirius and after moving up the food chain to a real tech, they verified that Sirius Traffic does indeed work fine with the Mercedes Benz Garmin. I signed up for an 18 month discounted subscription.
Having traffic data is one of the primary reasons I want Nav, and I can report to you that Sirius Traffic worked well with the Garmin. The only confusing thing is that part of the documentation says free-flowing traffic is green. However, that is not true. Free flowing traffic is the default orange. Traffic only appears as yellow (heavy) or red (stop-and-go) or black (stopped).
Actually, the more I work with the Garmin the more I like it. It has integrated itself well into the car's voice command system. It has done a good job of itentifying and adjusting for traffic on a route.

Also, most mbrace features also work with the Navi 20 CD system. When I was shopping the car, they told me that almost nothing from mbrace works without multimedia, when in fact the opposite is true.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM

CLA250
Do you have Sirius XM radio in your car?

Originally Posted by gocal73
Wonder who told you that you can't get traffic with the Navi 20 CD? My guess would be a salesman. Regardless, if you pass on the overpriced Multi Media option and get the Garmin SD card instead, you can get Sirius Traffic. I have it and it works great.
There are a bunch of mysteries about the Garmin system because it is new and most sales people have not taken the time to learn how it works. In fact, the Garmin actually has some very good documentation - but it is hidden away in a file on the SD card. The technology expert at the dealership was totally unaware of the existence of Garmin documentation until I asked him about it. We checked his Garmin SD card and there it was - a 25 page documentation guide on how to use the Garmin Nav. One of the gems in that document is the first 6 months of Sirius Traffic is free.
Even before I found out about this documentation and the free Traffic, I called Sirius and after moving up the food chain to a real tech, they verified that Sirius Traffic does indeed work fine with the Mercedes Benz Garmin. I signed up for an 18 month discounted subscription.
Having traffic data is one of the primary reasons I want Nav, and I can report to you that Sirius Traffic worked well with the Garmin. The only confusing thing is that part of the documentation says free-flowing traffic is green. However, that is not true. Free flowing traffic is the default orange. Traffic only appears as yellow (heavy) or red (stop-and-go) or black (stopped).
Actually, the more I work with the Garmin the more I like it. It has integrated itself well into the car's voice command system. It has done a good job of itentifying and adjusting for traffic on a route.

Also, most mbrace features also work with the Navi 20 CD system. When I was shopping the car, they told me that almost nothing from mbrace works without multimedia, when in fact the opposite is true.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith1
Do you have Sirius XM radio in your car?
Yes. However, you do not have to subscribe to XM radio in order to subscribe to Sirius traffic.

Last edited by gocal73; 03-18-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:25 PM

2015 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by seanvree
Just make sure you have option 355. this will not work if you do not.

Here is the link where you can purchase the SD card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-Garmin-MAP-Pilot-for-Audio-20-2015-C-Class-Sedan-/191393192920?vxp=mtr
What is option 355? I have a 2015 C300 and would like to add the Garmin SD card but want to make sure it is compatible before I order.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Originally Posted by blsJD02
What is option 355? I have a 2015 C300 and would like to add the Garmin SD card but want to make sure it is compatible before I order.
In Swedish its:

(355)Förberedelse för Garmin® MAP PILOT navigation

Translated its like "Preparation / Prepared for Garmin® MAP PILOT navigation"
Old 05-30-2015, 02:28 PM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Did I understand it correctly that even though map updates are "free" for 3 years, you still have to purchase specific SD-card for several hundred bucks which is not included by default?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 PM

C300W4
Isn't a smartphone running Waze, Google Maps or whatever much better?

I imagine the UI, accuracy, up to date maps, and routing are all better with phone apps. And, it's free.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Mercedes C300
SD Card / Navigation / Garmin

1. blsJD02: Option 355 means pre-wired for SD-Card navigation. Check your car paperwork (the piece of paper stuck on the windows that highlights options, features, gas mileage etc.) If you cannot find the information there, then call your dealer and provide them with your VIN number for confirmation.

2. zsh: Map updates being "free" for 3 years is only if you purchase the multimedia package that comes with Mercedes' navigation. To state it is "free" is quite a misnomer, since the multimedia package is a separate package that you are paying for that includes 3 years of updates.

If you purchase the multi-media package, there is no additional SD card to purchase.

If you do not purchase the multi-media package, and provided your vehicle is pre-wired for SD navigation, then you can purchase the Garmin SD navigation (retailing for ~$500 through MB Dealers on eBay).

3. I personally love Waze and was interested in knowing if anyone on this forum has purchase any equipment that allows them to mirror their phones i.e. have phone info, such as, maps display on the screen / monitor. If so, ideally I'd like to use my phone for Waze navigation and have it appear on the central Mercedes monitor in my car.

Best,
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C300
Phone image on car's screen

Originally Posted by samyc300
1. blsJD02: Option 355 means pre-wired for SD-Card navigation. Check your car paperwork (the piece of paper stuck on the windows that highlights options, features, gas mileage etc.) If you cannot find the information there, then call your dealer and provide them with your VIN number for confirmation.

2. zsh: Map updates being "free" for 3 years is only if you purchase the multimedia package that comes with Mercedes' navigation. To state it is "free" is quite a misnomer, since the multimedia package is a separate package that you are paying for that includes 3 years of updates.

If you purchase the multi-media package, there is no additional SD card to purchase.

If you do not purchase the multi-media package, and provided your vehicle is pre-wired for SD navigation, then you can purchase the Garmin SD navigation (retailing for ~$500 through MB Dealers on eBay).

3. I personally love Waze and was interested in knowing if anyone on this forum has purchase any equipment that allows them to mirror their phones i.e. have phone info, such as, maps display on the screen / monitor. If so, ideally I'd like to use my phone for Waze navigation and have it appear on the central Mercedes monitor in my car.

Best,
It it possible to send Google Maps to the car's screen?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM

Mercedes C300
@ClifordS: Yes, if you purchase mirroring equipment (you can check out eBay). Mercedes' aren't equipped/developed to run AndroidAuto (https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/)
Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM

2015 C300
SD Card

Hey, I just purchased my new car. Do you happen to still have the link for where you purchased your SD card? Would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Originally Posted by radiojon
Newbie here, and first-time MB Owner! Picked up a 2015 C-Class C300 last week with the Premium Package. No COMAND Navi, but it does have the SD card slot for the retrofit to Garmin Map Pilot (for $600). The dealership says they don't know when the SD cards will be available and I can't find them for sale anywhere online.

Does anyone know about the expected availability of the Garmin SD cards (for USA)?

Also, it's my understanding that the mbrace Mercedes-Benz Apps package ($14/month) includes TuneIn Internet Radio -- but I can't find any mention of any sort of data cap with it, so does that mean that you can listen to UNLIMITED TuneIn with this monthly package?

Thanks!

- Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garmin SD Card/MB Apps