C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Need Winter Wheel/Tire Setup Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014 | 10:37 AM

W205
Need Winter Wheel/Tire Setup Suggestions

I just ordered a C400 with 19in AMG wheels that only come with summer tires. I'm in Boston and it will be delivered in December. I'm in search of a good winter wheel and tire setup. I know there have been some limited discussions within other threads on this, but I don't want to highjack those threads and think it will serve well to have its own thread.

Here are my preferences:
- 18" wheels that have some resemblance to the stock 19in AMG multi-spoke look
- Lightweight (or relatively lightweight) wheels (~25lb or under)
- I think either 215 or 225 tires would be fine. Don't care if runflat or not.

I tried looking through Tirerack but their choices seem somewhat limited. I thought these OZ wheels were ok, but they won't be available until mid December

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...d&showRear=yes

I would be grateful for any suggestions. I understand that wheels choices are very subjective and comes down to personal taste. More than anything, I just want to retain the classy Mercedes look. Just looking for ideas.
Old 10-08-2014 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jclboston
I just ordered a C400 with 19in AMG wheels that only come with summer tires. I'm in Boston and it will be delivered in December. I'm in search of a good winter wheel and tire setup. I know there have been some limited discussions within other threads on this, but I don't want to highjack those threads and think it will serve well to have its own thread.

Here are my preferences:

I tried looking through Tirerack but their choices seem somewhat limited. I thought these OZ wheels were ok, but they won't be available until mid December

I would be grateful for any suggestions. I understand that wheels choices are very subjective and comes down to personal taste. More than anything, I just want to retain the classy Mercedes look. Just looking for ideas.
Suggest starting the other way around....for Boston winter nor'easters, check tire sizes for Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice xi3 and then work back to find wheels which accommodate them. 215 is certainly as wide as I would go for best winter use. Check powerwheelspro.com for MB design wheels.....excellent quality and service based on several sets of wheels I bought from them.
Old 10-08-2014 | 12:47 PM

W205
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Suggest starting the other way around....for Boston winter nor'easters, check tire sizes for Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice xi3 and then work back to find wheels which accommodate them. 215 is certainly as wide as I would go for best winter use. Check powerwheelspro.com for MB design wheels.....excellent quality and service based on several sets of wheels I bought from them.
Thanks! That's a great site to get started and was what I was looking for. Good suggestion on starting with the tires first. I figured that the tire sizes would be fairly standard. I've also had pretty good experience with Dunlop wintersports in the past.

Has anyone had any experience with wheels from either:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...-Mercedes-Benz
http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/index.p...18-wheels.html
Old 10-08-2014 | 01:10 PM

B200T
Can always try Tirerack.com . You can look up reviews for tires there, see what wheels would look like on your car.
Personally I like these, $500 for the rims: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1920

looks-wise, I prefer these, but They cost twice as much, and the difference isn't big in terms of looks (though BBS is a great company): http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1920

I second Sportstick's suggestion on the Michelin X-Ice. Been with them since their first generation, and they're great.
Old 10-08-2014 | 09:06 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by jclboston

Here are my preferences:

I have a c400 with 19" rims on order. My dealership is selling winter tire packages which are basically the 18" optional rims that are available for the c300 sport. The setup is 7.5" wide all around and is not staggered for better traction in the snow. It was pricey at 3k CAD but they are genuine rims and approved run flat tires.... see the attached picture
Attached Thumbnails Need Winter Wheel/Tire Setup Suggestions-c400-snow-tire-package.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014 | 10:33 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I have a c400 with 19" rims on order. My dealership is selling winter tire packages which are basically the 18" optional rims that are available for the c300 sport. The setup is 7.5" wide all around and is not staggered for better traction in the snow. It was pricey at 3k CAD but they are genuine rims and approved run flat tires.... see the attached picture
I don't see the run flats as a positive, quite the opposite. When I'm about to get my next car, I will try to find a buyer for the run flats even before picking up the car

What does the staggering do in the snow?
Old 10-08-2014 | 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by mihaelb
What does the staggering do in the snow?
It deteriorates traction by having a wider than minimum tire on the rear wheels. The goal for winter is all four the same, as narrow as possible.
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:25 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by Sportstick
It deteriorates traction by having a wider than minimum tire on the rear wheels. The goal for winter is all four the same, as narrow as possible.
What he said!
You want to maximize the normal/frictional forces which will cause the tires to have good contact with the road. By reducing the width there is more mass per square cm on the road. The more mass per square cm of tire surface contact you have on the drive wheels, the better traction you'll have in snow. A staggered setup uses wider wheels and tires in the back where there is typically less mass, and where the majority of the torque is applied in both a RWD and a 4matic setup. Wide low profile tires essentially plow snow.

I'm not a huge fan of run flats either, but your options are somewhat limited when the car is designed for them and you don't have the option to easily carry a spare tire.

Last edited by jbbeauso; 10-08-2014 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brit_in_ Canada (02-11-2018)
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:46 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
What he said!
You want to maximize the normal/frictional forces which will cause the tires to have good contact with the road. By reducing the width there is more mass per square cm on the road. The more mass per square cm of tire surface contact you have on the drive wheels, the better traction you'll have in snow. A staggered setup uses wider wheels and tires in the back where there is typically less mass, and where the majority of the torque is applied in both a RWD and a 4matic setup. Wide low profile tires essentially plow snow.

I'm not a huge fan of run flats either, but your options are somewhat limited when the car is designed for them and you don't have the option to easily carry a spare tire.
So looking at Tirerack, they only offer 225 width tires. Is this because the car's new (and they are quoting the original equipment size), or is that actually the only size that would fit the new C (and nothing narrower in the winter)?

The fact that there is no spare is a minor hindrance...rarely is there such a bad flat that you can't make it to the store on remaining air (from the time the notification pops up), and you can always carry one of those sealing sprays. These, combined with free road-side assistance should put one's mind at ease, I think.
The run flats are uncomfortable, don't perform as well, and get destroyed too easily (including when you drive on them to get the flat repaired)...just too many negatives for the extra little peace of mind (that the spray can won't solve).
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by mihaelb
So looking at Tirerack, they only offer 225 width tires. Is this because the car's new (and they are quoting the original equipment size), or is that actually the only size that would fit the new C (and nothing narrower in the winter)?

The fact that there is no spare is a minor hindrance...rarely is there such a bad flat that you can't make it to the store on remaining air (from the time the notification pops up), and you can always carry one of those sealing sprays. These, combined with free road-side assistance should put one's mind at ease, I think.
The run flats are uncomfortable, don't perform as well, and get destroyed too easily (including when you drive on them to get the flat repaired)...just too many negatives for the extra little peace of mind (that the spray can won't solve).
Depends how you did the search. If you search only for original equipment sizes, you will see the same as on your car. Better to call and talk to an advisor. 215 width should be available, although I'm less familiar with the W205 tire set up than my departed W204, where I knew 215/50-17 fit just fine!
Old 10-09-2014 | 12:03 AM

B200T
I didn't specify the original option. But these were the only options available. Either 225/50R17 or 225/45R18.
I don't think that narrower rims and tires would pose a problem for a car, as long as the other measurements compensate and are correct for the vehicle...
Old 10-11-2014 | 06:14 PM

W205
Just a quick update.. I spoke to one of the folks that make some of rMB rep wheels and he said that I should go with 35 offset at minimum. I'm going to contact a few other places and see what they say (the car is so new that information in different systems could differ.. maybe).

Again, this is for a C400, which in the US comes standard with AMG kit and sport brakes.
Old 10-11-2014 | 07:34 PM

AMG CLE 53
Today my dealer installed winter tires on my 19 inch multi spoke black wheels. I chose not to change the wheel or tire size. I just replaced the Pirelli PZero run flat summer tires with Pirelli Sottozero run flat winter tires. I didn't notice any difference in ride quality or noise. I'll post a review of snow performance in the spring. Let's hope for a dry winter in the Northeast.
Old 10-12-2014 | 10:47 AM

TBD
Please let us know how they perform for you when the snow hits. Do you typically get a lot of snow? What region do you live in?

Originally Posted by BenzC400
Today my dealer installed winter tires on my 19 inch multi spoke black wheels. I chose not to change the wheel or tire size. I just replaced the Pirelli PZero run flat summer tires with Pirelli Sottozero run flat winter tires. I didn't notice any difference in ride quality or noise. I'll post a review of snow performance in the spring. Let's hope for a dry winter in the Northeast.
Old 10-12-2014 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by vistec
Please let us know how they perform for you when the snow hits. Do you typically get a lot of snow? What region do you live in?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=181

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=180

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=191

Read the above tests. First decision is whether you want to compromise winter traction capability to maintain more all around performance (winter performance tires) or go for max winter capability, which has less overall performance feel (studless). Around here in Michigan, I am willing to let go of the performance feel for a few months to maximize winter traction, and look forward to the other three seasons.
Old 04-17-2015 | 05:15 AM

2022 EQS 580 Nautical Blue Macchiato interior.
Hello to all posters on this thread. Wondered how your winter choices of tires turned out for this past winter? Recently got my C400 with the 19" AMG WHEELS & summer tires. Looking ahead to replace for next winter & would appreciate your experiences this last winter. 😎
Old 04-17-2015 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by ranord
Hello to all posters on this thread. Wondered how your winter choices of tires turned out for this past winter? Recently got my C400 with the 19" AMG WHEELS & summer tires. Looking ahead to replace for next winter & would appreciate your experiences this last winter. 😎
I went with the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT snow tires and they have done very well. We had a lot of snow and ice this winter, and these were as good as anything I've ever used. The 4Matic was seamless in its operation, and I never got into any real trouble with this combination.

I do have 18's, and went with the front size all around on the original wheels. That worked out well, saved me some money, and also saved my somewhat tender back from the extra weight of handling mounted tires.

The Goodyear''s don't rate is high as some other brands, but actual user feedback is excellent, and my own experience supports that.
Old 04-18-2015 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Unless I can find a take off set of the original 18" AMG wheels/tires cheap on eBay or something, I plan on getting a set of non-RFT Winter wheels/tires/TPMS from TireRack.

(4) Pirelli Winter Sottozozero 3 Performance Winter/Snow 225/45R18

(4) Moda MD18 Titanium Gunmetal 18x8 (22 lbs each), plus all needed mounting hardware

TPMS Kit

All mounted, balanced, road hazard protection, and shipped to my home...$1,557.68

Old 04-20-2015 | 02:53 AM

W205
I ended up going with the 225/45R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 XL. No complaints here and it handled this past nasty Boston winter very well. Lots of grip, really good winter performance tires.
Old 04-20-2015 | 08:10 PM

Talking

Thanks to all posters in response to my question about winter tires. I don't want to give up the 19's with summer tires until the November time frame. Seems like quite a few after market wheels to choose from in gleaning the internet. 18's in a relatively inexpensive wheel (LOL) is my strategy. I have found the Continental Extreme Contacts (DWS) to be a great set of shoes for my wife's Lexus ES350. That might be my strategy with the 18 inches for winter. I will say that the low profile tires are a bit scary when you can't manage to avoid a pothole after this last winter. Glad I got the tire and wheel insurance!! With both AAA and the Mercedes roadside assistance, run-flats might be eventually out of the picture as this is my second car with the RFs (2011 E350 Bluetec) & I still think they are not as good as regular tires... IMHO.
Old 04-20-2015 | 09:26 PM

W205
Originally Posted by ranord
Thanks to all posters in response to my question about winter tires. I don't want to give up the 19's with summer tires until the November time frame. Seems like quite a few after market wheels to choose from in gleaning the internet. 18's in a relatively inexpensive wheel (LOL) is my strategy. I have found the Continental Extreme Contacts (DWS) to be a great set of shoes for my wife's Lexus ES350. That might be my strategy with the 18 inches for winter. I will say that the low profile tires are a bit scary when you can't manage to avoid a pothole after this last winter. Glad I got the tire and wheel insurance!! With both AAA and the Mercedes roadside assistance, run-flats might be eventually out of the picture as this is my second car with the RFs (2011 E350 Bluetec) & I still think they are not as good as regular tires... IMHO.
When it will come time to replace the stock summers, I think I'll be going with regular non-runflats as well.
Old 07-16-2015 | 10:16 AM

Winter tires

Curious how your Pirelli's performed for you this winter. I have the Continental OEM runflats (summer tires) and have had two blow outs already.
So, not sure if I want to chase the same profile tires in winter performance or go with an 18" rim with beefier profiles.

Thanks,
Ran
Old 07-16-2015 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
I ended up going with a take-off set of stock staggered MB 18" AMG wheels/Continental A/S RFTs for my Winter set up. This set I bought on eBay even came with the stock MB TPM sensors. I too first checked out TireRack, but wasn't happy with their selection of wheels. I definitely didn't want to change the tires on my 19" AMG wheels and submit them to Winter...and instead went with an 18" wheel for the higher profile sidewall.

In addition, I just received my Mercedes Benz Floor Jack Pad & 17mm Protective Wheel Saver Socket from Burger Motorsports...so I can change the wheels by myself in the driveway.

http://burgertuning.com/mercedes_benz_products.html

Old 08-30-2015 | 12:11 PM

Shopping 2019 GLC 63s
How did you like the Pirelli Sottozero tires in the winter? I did not realize that the Pirelli's were RFTs. I should be receiving the C450 within the next few weeks and have the same dilemma with the 19" wheels for the winter. I thought the Sottozeros were non-run flat and was wondering if a tire/rim fit in the trunk. It may be a moot point.

Keep me posted how you like the Sottozero and if indeed they are MOEs or RFTs. Thanks a million.
Old 08-30-2015 | 02:03 PM

AMG CLE 53
Originally Posted by iwork4wine
How did you like the Pirelli Sottozero tires in the winter? I did not realize that the Pirelli's were RFTs. I should be receiving the C450 within the next few weeks and have the same dilemma with the 19" wheels for the winter. I thought the Sottozeros were non-run flat and was wondering if a tire/rim fit in the trunk. It may be a moot point.

Keep me posted how you like the Sottozero and if indeed they are MOEs or RFTs. Thanks a million.
My Sottozeros were RFT, not MOE, but they were purchased from, and installed by the dealer. They are H rated and standard load, not Y rated and XL like the summer tires. I didn't have any damage to the 19 inch wheels due to winter conditions. Many, if not most, owners swap out the 19 inch wheels and tires for 18 or even 17 inch in the winter. I'm sure the higher profile, non-staggered setup provides for better traction, but I compromised to keep the look of the 19 inch multi-spoke wheels and I'm satisfied with my choice.

They did just fine in the snow. I didn't notice any difference in road noise either. I had severe pothole damage to one tire that required replacement. I don't know if another tire would have survived the pothole. It was difficult to get the tire replaced. It took a couple of days to order. My first year service is scheduled for the end of September. I'll swap out the summer tires for the Sottozeros again at that time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Winter Wheel/Tire Setup Suggestions