E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Poor MB Service Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday | 12:31 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
Poor MB Service Experience

Has anyone experienced poor service from Mercedes lately (as in the past couple of years?). When I first got my E300 I changed all the oils and filters religiously at the half way intervals on the entire car. Did my transmission oil and filter every 30,000 miles. Car currently has over 156,000 miles. At the 120,000 mile mark, i decided to bring my E Class to my local MB dealership as I did not have time to do the service my self as I was rushing to catch a plane to Germany. Trusting the "Best or Nothing" motto and the certified techs at my Connecticut MB dealership to carry out the service to a T, I brought it in for service.

Since the temperatures in New England (Connecticut Area) fluctuate really high and low in the summer time + winter time, I noticed the car shifting poorly about 2,000 miles ago. Ordered all OEM MB filters and oil. As soon as I lifted the car up and looked at the oil pan, I saw what looked like a half as*ed attempt to remove my paint marker writing of when the oil was last changed by me. Looked like the tech tried to remove the writing to make it seem like the oil pan/filter was changed. As soon as I removed the cap I immediately saw dark fluid that did not look like was changed for the past 30,000+ miles. Usually when I do the service at the 30,000 mile mark, the oil still has a blueish color to it. I mostly do highway driving and don't beat on the car too much, so it never had dark(er) oil before.

Inspecting the oil pan further I found the rear torx screw to be missing (the one in the rear where you have to lower the transmission mount to remove the screw), I found that the drain mechanism inside of the oil pan was tipped over and allowing the oil to drain out without putting the device into position 2 (or 4).

I can't say I'm surprised but I am disappointed knowing that the tech that took my car for service probably not only didn't change the oil, but probably quit after he tried to remove the rear screw and saw how difficult it is to drop the pan unless you drop the transmission an inch or two. The bolt he tried removing more than likely loosened after 60,000 miles and fell out. The tech might've loosened it enough to cause it to back out due to vibrations and heat, etc.

Torqued all bolts to spec as usual, put new fluid in, got the transmission to temp, and drove it 50 miles in the city to get the fluid circulating. The car once again shifts like new.

Moral of the story is: If you're willing to pay $700+ for service on your MB vehicle, double check their work and don't trust anyone but your self with your car.

Last edited by Billyismyname; Yesterday at 12:35 PM.
Old Yesterday | 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
That fluid certainly doesn't look blue, at all. But doesn't the 9G tranny require MB 236.16 (or MD 236.17) fluid. Is that blue, as well?

Having reviewed the procedures for changing the tranny fluid in the 9G transmission, I certainly understand why most people would go to the dealer. Good advice to follow up on the work done. Makes you want to somehow paint across where the pan meets the housing to make sure it was removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Billyismyname (Yesterday), CarFan1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:23 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by JettaRed
That fluid certainly doesn't look blue, at all. But doesn't the 9G tranny require MB 236.16 (or MD 236.17) fluid. Is that blue, as well?

Having reviewed the procedures for changing the tranny fluid in the 9G transmission, I certainly understand why most people would go to the dealer. Good advice to follow up on the work done. Makes you want to somehow paint across where the pan meets the housing to make sure it was removed.
I stand corrected. The 236.17 ATF oil isn't blue. It's a red/brownish color. I must've confused my other Benz model oil color with this one. None the less, I do write on all my oil filters (engine oil and transmission) with a paint pen that can only be removed with with rubbing alcohol. The tech that worked on my car tried to remove it with break clean or something and smudged it, so I knew it was the original pan from last service I did.

I spoke to the dealer and told them my findings, they said they would cover my next transmission service for free after providing pictures and evidence. I told them thanks for the offer, I just wanted to let them know in case it happens to the next guy. Atleast they were willing to fix the situation.
Old Yesterday | 01:57 PM

W214 E450
Makes me reluctant to go to the dealership for routine maintenance rather than doing it myself. I typically change my own oil in all my cars but plan on taking my 2025 to the dealer every 10K to have them change it in between my 5K oil changes so that it's recorded in the MB service records. Never thought about using a paint pen to mark the filter to ensure it's been changed. Will try that next time I change my oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by L1Wolf:
Billyismyname (Today), CarFan1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
Makes me reluctant to go to the dealership for routine maintenance rather than doing it myself. I typically change my own oil in all my cars but plan on taking my 2025 to the dealer every 10K to have them change it in between my 5K oil changes so that it's recorded in the MB service records. Never thought about using a paint pen to mark the filter to ensure it's been changed. Will try that next time I change my oil.
Depending on your state, it should be as long as you keep the receipt.
Old Yesterday | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
The OP was talking about a tranny service, not an engine oil change.
Old Yesterday | 03:44 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by JettaRed
The OP was talking about a tranny service, not an engine oil change.
I am aware, but it's not hard to extrapolate that dealers could have the same poor service for other jobs as well.
Old Yesterday | 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am aware, but it's not hard to extrapolate that dealers could have the same poor service for other jobs as well.
I see.
Old Yesterday | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
SCAMMED!

this sad reality speaks volume unfortunately

the best service is provided by individuals who genuinely care about their work.
The following users liked this post:
Billyismyname (Today)
Old Yesterday | 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
this sad reality speaks volume unfortunately

the best service is provided by individuals who genuinely care about their work.
Certainly depends on the dealership, good ones still exist, shop around for sure, back then most MB dealerships' technicians are genuinely passion about the cars, they have pride doing the work and it makes them happy, now it is all about the pay cheque.
Old Yesterday | 05:36 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Certainly depends on the dealership, good ones still exist, shop around for sure, back then most MB dealerships' technicians are genuinely passion about the cars, they have pride doing the work and it makes them happy, now it is all about the pay cheque.
I think the dealership matters but not as much as the specific tech that gets to work on your car. Even the best dealership can hire a dud or someone who just doesn't give a crap about your car and will cut corners. Pride in your work is important and ideally, anyone working on your car will take the same care and attention they would if it was their car.
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

I think the dealership matters but not as much as the specific tech that gets to work on your car. Even the best dealership can hire a dud or someone who just doesn't give a crap about your car and will cut corners. Pride in your work is important and ideally, anyone working on your car will take the same care and attention they would if it was their car.
That is true as well.
Old Yesterday | 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If one is not happy with the service provided, complain to the manager or owner.
The following 3 users liked this post by ua549:
CarFan1 (Yesterday), hyperion667 (Yesterday), JettaRed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ua549
If one is not happy with the service provided, complain to the manager or owner.
Then write a Google review.
Old Yesterday | 06:07 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by ua549
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Then write a Google review.
Totally agree. It may not help you as damage could already be done but it will help the next person make a more informed decision. In addition, you should read past reviews and make a decision if you want to take your vehicle there or not.
Old Today | 12:46 AM

W221/W222/W213/X290
I would buy a paint pen marker and use that. It will not erase no matter what, unless you use some rubbing alcohol, then it cleans right off.

I write the milage on everything (engine oil filter, transmission pan, air filter etc). It also helps me keep track of when to do the maintenance because I routinely check under the hood as I do long car rides and a lot of miles.
Old Today | 01:06 AM

W221/W222/W213/X290
I have usually had very good experiences with MB dealerships before the 2016 year mark when I didn't know a thing about cars and was too afraid to touch anything. But maybe my level of attention to detail ruined the quality of work of others because I have such a high standard when I work on my cars (or anyones car for that matter).