C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

Paint protection, rust protection, money grabs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
Paint protection, rust protection, money grabs?

My delivery date for my c400 is just around the corner. The dealer is trying to sell me a number of "protection" add ons.

They are selling Xzilon paint protection for around $700. But it looks like the same stuff can be bought on ebay for $25 bucks. As an alternative, I can spend that money on a lot of wax...

Rust protection....they sell the electronic rust inhibitor module which I know works well with boats where the water completes the electrical circuit but not at all with cars, where there is no possible return path.

Interior protection.. I have ordered the cranberry red interior. Has anyone had any issues with coloured leather fading?

I plan to get the tint done and a clear bra installed by a 3rd party for a lot cheaper.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
My delivery date for my c400 is just around the corner. The dealer is trying to sell me a number of "protection" add ons.

They are selling Xzilon paint protection for around $700. But it looks like the same stuff can be bought on ebay for $25 bucks. As an alternative, I can spend that money on a lot of wax...

Rust protection....they sell the electronic rust inhibitor module which I know works well with boats where the water completes the electrical circuit but not at all with cars, where there is no possible return path.

Interior protection.. I have ordered the cranberry red interior. Has anyone had any issues with coloured leather fading?

I plan to get the tint done and a clear bra installed by a 3rd party for a lot cheaper.

Is there anything I'm missing?
No....you're not....by the title, you've seen right through them. NO, to all. Good sealant (Menzerna Power Lock is my preference) and wax (Collinite 845, durable, although not the shiniest possible) are highly protective, and consider the clear Xpel film to avoid chips. You certainly don't want any holes drilled to spray inner panel rust protection, which just breaks the paint seal and becomes a place for rust to start and kills the factory warranty, and underbody sprays have a habit of hitting undesired areas! Leather treatments and sealants abound and are easy to apply. Lexol is highly regarded. Dealers make a ton of profit from these products. Many years ago, as a car salesperson, I used to sell them with a large smile!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by Sportstick
No....you're not....by the title, you've seen right through them. NO, to all. Good sealant (Menzerna Power Lock is my preference) and wax (Collinite 845, durable, although not the shiniest possible) are highly protective, and consider the clear Xpel film to avoid chips. You certainly don't want any holes drilled to spray inner panel rust protection, which just breaks the paint seal and becomes a place for rust to start and kills the factory warranty, and underbody sprays have a habit of hitting undesired areas! Leather treatments and sealants abound and are easy to apply. Lexol is highly regarded. Dealers make a ton of profit from these products. Many years ago, as a car salesperson, I used to sell them with a large smile!
I plan on getting the Xpel for the front...I'm just debating whether to get the full hood or the partial hood. I haven't done the paint sealant before but I do wax...I will look into that sealant. Do you eventually have to reapply?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
any insight on prepaid maintenance and/or extending warranty?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I plan on getting the Xpel for the front...I'm just debating whether to get the full hood or the partial hood. I haven't done the paint sealant before but I do wax...I will look into that sealant. Do you eventually have to reapply?
I did half-hood. The cost for full hood usually goes up dramatically based on the size of the raw material is supplied. It's a calculated risk on the chance of a chip starting half-way up. The Xpel disappears on my car....so clear....sometimes can't find the edge!

Sealant and wax is twice a year for me. Spring and late Fall. I enjoy doing it....it's mentally therapeutic do spend some quality time with the sheetmetal!

Extended warranties, etc. are essentially insurance...a financial calculation. I took an extension to 7/70 on my new car (not MB this time) as the cost of one powertrain repair would likely match the premium. Just a risk-aversion personal decision.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I did half-hood. The cost for full hood usually goes up dramatically based on the size of the raw material is supplied. It's a calculated risk on the chance of a chip starting half-way up. The Xpel disappears on my car....so clear....sometimes can't find the edge!

Sealant and wax is twice a year for me. Spring and late Fall. I enjoy doing it....it's mentally therapeutic do spend some quality time with the sheetmetal!

Extended warranties, etc. are essentially insurance...a financial calculation. I took an extension to 7/70 on my new car (not MB this time) as the cost of one powertrain repair would likely match the premium. Just a risk-aversion personal decision.
Do you wax on top of the xpel? Any issues with wax getting stuck at the edges?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
You can, or they make a sealant product for their film for more shine, but it doesn't need any of it. If any wax or sealant from the uncovered side builds up at the edge, a soft cloth wet with cleaner gently rubbed along the edge in the same direction (not onto/off the material, along it) cleans it right off. I just went through that. My new car is 7 weeks old and I just put its "winter coat" on and had to do some edge cleaning just as described here.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
You can tape it off as just as you would any trim you don't want to get wax on. I'm still waiting on delivery of my C400...but I have a clear bra on my other car and I tape it off when I wax it...oh and I also wax the clear bra as well...good luck it's well worth the investment!!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
If the reliability of Mercedes has not improved since my W245 B class, then definitely get extended warranty.

The upside of getting the extended warranty through MB right now, rather than later, is that you can negotiate its price (later, they are less flexible, as you talk to a service advisor rather than salesman). Further, you'll need to do an inspection of your car and pay an admin fee to get it applied later (even if your vehicle is still under the original warranty).

Film: don't bother with 3M. It did turn yellow, and a few stone chips went right through it, and still chipped the paint. Never tried the Xpel people talk about here, though, and plan to run it by a store that I trust here, when the time comes.

Rust proofing, exactly what sportstick said: never drill, as that's where your rust will start. Also be weary of getting rustproofing done before your corrosion warranty expires, as it may void it (I got conflicting answers, verbally...get an answer from MB in writing/email that says that as long as you don't drill, applying rust-proofing won't void the warranty).
Old 10-10-2014, 01:34 PM

GLK250
any insight on prepaid maintenance and/or extending warranty?
It may be different in Canada, but in the states dealer maintenance is 3-4x the cost of an indy shop. However, if you are leasing then PPM can be worthwhile, as it increases your residual thus effectively costing you a fraction of the quoted price.

Also if you weren't aware, both PPM and ELW are usually charged at MSRP and can be negotiated down.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM

GLC 300 4matic
Don't bother with the Xzilon. Only the dealers offer that junk. If you're looking for a something in that realm, check out Opti-Coat or Cquartz.

In terms of rust proofing, I've never had to do it and I've never had an issue with any of the Benz, and they're all from MB Durham (which I assume you're getting yours from too).

I currently use the 3M clear bra and I gotta say that after 5 years, you start to notice a bit of yellowing.

I agree with the above posters that if you're going long term, get the extended warranty now. There are some fees when you get it later. Just be aware that the last year of the extended warranty does not cover everything ( I think engine/transmission only). MB Durham does a good job at service there and I've never really had an issue there.