C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 with Cocomats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 & 2015 C400
C400 with Cocomats

2015 C400 4-Matic
Iridium Silver Metallic
Cranberry Red leather Interior
Black Open Pore Wood Trim
Airmatic
Interior package
Lighting Package
Multi-Media Package
Hands Free Comfort Package
Driver’s Assistance Package
Air Balance Package
Heads-Up Display
Panorama Sunroof
Parktronic

*Options not ordered:19” Wheels with Summer Tires and Rear and Side Window Shades

MSRP:$64,055.00
Dealer Discount: 7%($4483.85 savings)
No M-B Regional Fee charge: ($740.00 savings)
No VIN Etching charge:($199.00 savings)
Mercedes-Benz Winter Sale: ($2000.00 savings)
Mercedes-Benz Launch Event Discount Coupon: ($500.00 savings)
Trade-in value of 2011 E550 Olivine Grey Convertible: @ $38,000.00 (tax savings @ 6.35% = $2413.00)

Mercedes-Benz Wheel & Tire Package:$1150.00 (Discounted from current Sale Price of $1399.99)
Mercedes-Benz7-year-75K Tier 1 Extended Limited Warranty:$1850.00 (Discounted from $2500.00)
Cocomats: Coco #51 Front, Rear and Full Trunk $444.70 (Delivered)

*Pre-paid Maintenance 3-Pack will be purchased just prior to 20K Service B when it can be purchased at
lower rate, with much better coverage and service sequence is B-A-B rather than A-B-A thereby
maximizing value.
*Scotchgard’s 3M Pro in 60” roll (latest version) will be installed once it arrives at local installer’s shop. I
have used XPel Ultimate in the past with good results but my installer is raving about the brand new
3M with the improved adhesive at a fraction of the cost of the XPel.
*Collinite 476 Super Doublecoat Wax installed by dealership as per my request. I have used Cquartz
finest on other vehicles and, while generally pleased, did not see enough of a benefit-to-cost make me
want to do it again.

Order, Build and Delivery Timeline:
Car was ordered the last week in July and originally given a build date of First Decade in October which in late September was reassigned to the Third Decade in October. Build was completed on November 6th and dealership notified me of its completion on November 7th. C400 arrived in Connecticut on Nov 11th and I could have taken delivery the following day. My schedule was pretty busy so I picked it up on Saturday Nov 15th.

Pluses:
*Color combo is striking with Iridium Silver really capturing the exterior lines. The Cranberry Red interior
adds a warm feel to the interior. Ambient Lighting is soft & subtle but quite pleasing to the eye and
Blue seems to be the color of the day.
*Burmester Audio is better than expected and sensational when matched with a source like my FiiO X3
DAC and uncompressed FLAC Lossless music files. Bit too bright at first but easily addressed in settings.
*Airmatic is every bit as good as advertised and creates vastly different effects.
*C400 vs C300 was a no-brainer for me and the first decision I made at order time as I knew that I would
regret it if I didn’t get it although the C300 demo handled perfectly fine.
*Larger screen is vivid in color and responds more quickly than I was expecting. I actually like the fixed
placement as the screen on my 2012 Audi A6 had a mind of its own and opened and closed many times
on its own. I liked the tuck away look but would dread owing it out of warranty.
*HUD is bright and adjustable and still easily seen with polarized sunglasses unlike the A6 which
disappeared with the same glasses.
*Air Balance has potential but will have to wait its turn until the new car smell goes away.
*Fit and finish appear fine with no squeaks, rattles, misaligned type or frozen screens.
*Command system is very intuitive although rather redundant.
*Full LED headlights are extremely bright and very much appreciated in nighttime driving.
*Voice Command feature is very quick and very accurate.
*Plenty of front seat headroom for me at 6’2” and in the seating position that I like.
*Heated seats are fast and toasty.
*Sport + really is a lot of fun on the right road.
*Ventilated seats are subtle for effective for what they are intended to provide.
*Car is fast, quick and responsive for my non-track driving tastes.
*Vault quiet on I-95 as it is on country roads
*Purchased from a customer-oriented and very fair-minded dealership where prompt and attentive
service is a given.

Minuses:
*No heated steering wheel option.
*360 Camera would have been nice but not a deal breaker.
*Never a big fan of run-flat tires that I’ve had on a 2007 E93 335i and a 2008 E93 M3 but the C400 tires
provide a much smoother driving experience probably due to the 18” with Airmatic.
*Odd and slightly uncomfortable position of the front seat door handles.
*The backseat would be a stretch for three people although the headroom was a bit better than
expected.

Ramblings:
I applaud everyone who is happy with the results of their negotiations and thank those who have shared their experiences which helped me gauge the extent of my push. I’m sure that I left some money on the table but, in the end, the deal was obviously fair to both parties or we would not have finalized the transaction. I was offered an incredible deal on a leftover 2014 Diamond White on Black CLS550 but, despite its great looks, the car seemed dated and will soon be replaced by its successor. The Diamond White color with Ash wood trim was also less than inspiring. It would have bothered me to own a replaced model although my daily driver remains an E320 that looks and drives as if it just rolled off the showroom floor. I took a hard look at BMW 2 & 4’s but never felt my heart thump like it used too. My nightmare experiences with a 2010 A4 and 2012 A6 have taken them off the table for good. The 205 is certainly not a car for everyone but at this time in my life it fits the bill nicely. I would like the C400 to eventually replace the E320 as my DD and I can only hope that it serves me anywhere near as well. It should be noted that I’ve said that many times before with a number of other cars that I cut loose sooner than originally intended. As long as you know what the 205 is and what it isn’t then any acquisition decision should be easy; if it works for you then get it and if it doesn’tthen move on to a car that does.Some thorough research and a lengthy test drive or three makes it pretty clear exactly the 205 offerings and capabilities so you just need to decide if they mirror your vehicle needs and performance intentions….for me it did and I have zero regrets a week into my ownership but if and when I do I have no doubt that there will be something else out there that catches my eye and wins my heart…….thanks for listening and best wishes for a very safe, healthy and happy Holiday Season!
Attached Thumbnails C400 with Cocomats-c400-15.jpg   C400 with Cocomats-cocomats.jpg  
Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Appreciate the nice write up, thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM

2015 c400 4Matic
Agreed. Very thorough and nails the concept of "buy the right car for you" that some people seem to miss in their commentary here. Enjoy your ride!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I have to agree with all your minuses here. The lack of 360 camera is a minor downer. Ive never used heated steering wheel but I know its a must have item for some. Much bigger demerits for me is the lack of remote start and heated rear seat. Personally I consider the car a 4 seater, rather than be disappointed it doesn't fit 3 in the back, at least this time around 2 normal sized adults fit relatively well something that wasn't true on the 204. Its still a compact. Aside from that I think the car is pretty much perfect.
I also bought aftermarket mats but my requirements in the tundra are entirely different so I went with weathertech floorliners. 5-6 mths of snow pretty much rule out anything else. They are not beautiful by any stretch, but at least they pretty much guarantee keeping most of the salty water off the floor. Since our accelerator is floor hinged not even these can keep all the winter crap off
Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
You ordered the same vehicle I did, just different colors. Can you post a larger pic of the light switch area? I'd like to see the accessory controls a little better, thanks!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz c300 4-Matic
Awesome write up! So after all discounts etc...what was your final purchase price and if you don't mind me asking what is your monthly payment? You basically have all options I want.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:59 PM

2004 E320 & 2015 C400
Questions answered:
* The C400 is home today but I'll snap some close-up light switch area pics and post later.
* The weight and performance of the Cocomats trump any all-weather mat out there and is Option #1 for every car that I purchase. I grew up in Buffalo, NY so believe me when I tell you that I know the beating that a set of floor mats can take. Connecticut winters like last year's ordeal can be equally challenging. I will NEVER own a car without Cocomats!
* It's kind of difficult to piece together my entire deal since it had a lot of elements that were unique to my specific purchase but the C400 listed for $64,055.00 plus contract line items for the $740.00 MB Regional Fee and the $199.00 VIN Etching both of which never make it beyond the first 5 minutes of negotiations. This being said, the purchase price after discounts was $57,000.00 to which I added the 6yr/75K ELW Package for $1850.00 and the 5-year Wheel & Tire Package for &850.00. Both packages are Mercedes-Benz packages and not aftermarket insurers. Both are refundable (prorated once into the contract's life), have no ceiling or deductible and transferrable should I sell the car independently. A trade-in voids the contracts. I only paid CT tax (.0635) on $19K due to the trade-in of my 2011 E550 Vert. Despite my accountant's continual growling, I purchased the car outright so there will be no monthly payments. My Italian father and Russian mother taught us long ago that if you can't pay cash for a car then you didn't sweat enough (father) or suffer enough (mother) for it. I look at it rather fool heartedly and feel that as long as I don't owe any money than I have 100% equity to throw at the next vehicle on my constantly trending Automotive Bucket List. The C400 puts me at 72 cars and counting which only means that I'm old and should have learned my depreciating commodity lesson by now. Oh, well.....

Last edited by divots; 11-21-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Left out the tax info

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz c300 4-Matic
haha! Thanks for the answers. Enjoy the car...looks beautiful.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by divots
Questions answered:
* The C400 is home today but I'll snap some close-up light switch area pics and post later.
* The weight and performance of the Cocomats trump any all-weather mat out there and is Option #1 for every car that I purchase. I grew up in Buffalo, NY so believe me when I tell you that I know the beating that a set of floor mats can take. Connecticut winters like last year's ordeal can be equally challenging. I will NEVER own a car without Cocomats!
* It's kind of difficult to piece together my entire deal since it had a lot of elements that were unique to my specific purchase but the C400 listed for $64,055.00 plus contract line items for the $740.00 MB Regional Fee and the $199.00 VIN Etching both of which never make it beyond the first 5 minutes of negotiations. This being said, the purchase price after discounts was $57,000.00 to which I added the 6yr/75K ELW Package for $1850.00 and the 5-year Wheel & Tire Package for &850.00. Both packages are Mercedes-Benz packages and not aftermarket insurers. Both are refundable (prorated once into the contract's life), have no ceiling or deductible and transferrable should I sell the car independently. A trade-in voids the contracts. I only paid CT tax (.0635) on $19K due to the trade-in of my 2011 E550 Vert. Despite my accountant's continual growling, I purchased the car outright so there will be no monthly payments. My Italian father and Russian mother taught us long ago that if you can't pay cash for a car then you didn't sweat enough (father) or suffer enough (mother) for it. I look at it rather fool heartedly and feel that as long as I don't owe any money than I have 100% equity to throw at the next vehicle on my constantly trending Automotive Bucket List. The C400 puts me at 72 cars and counting which only means that I'm old and should have learned my depreciating commodity lesson by now. Oh, well.....
I didn't haggle much about the price either, I haggled about my trade in getting 30K for a very good condition F150 ecoboost with 50K miles. Almost private sale money
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Questions answered:
Cocomats are great but they are a major PITA to clean, after a while it simply better to dump and get new ones. The weather tech liners are exactly what they say they are, a form fitting soft plastic (not rubber) liner that covers the entire footwell, the fit is perfect. The good thing about is that it covers everything, holds almost a gallon of water and they are a cinch to clean. Downside is they are certainly no beauty queens but if your interior is black they are pretty invisible anyway. Something to consider when the coco's get dingy
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 PM

B200T
*Scotchgard’s 3M Pro in 60” roll (latest version) will be installed once it arrives at local installer’s shop. I
have used XPel Ultimate in the past with good results but my installer is raving about the brand new
Thanks for the writeup...and interesting discovery in the Cocomats (look great, although not practical for Canadian winters)! Makes me wonder if someone makes a winterized equivalent (with the hook points, and custom fit)...

Just one comment regarding the 3M protective film: mine are the previous gen (possibly further back, installed in 2009 or 2010). The glue was never a problem, but they yellowed a fair bit (and back then, there were two 3M models, mine was supposed to be the one that's more-resistant to yellowing). Also, a few chips made it past the film and took chunks out of the paint to boot.
Never owned the XPel, but from what people have been saying about its (anti-)yellowing performance, as well as self-healing, it's the one I'd consider for my next car.

Congrats on your car! Looks awesome!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Cocomats are great but they are a major PITA to clean, after a while it simply better to dump and get new ones. The weather tech liners are exactly what they say they are, a form fitting soft plastic (not rubber) liner that covers the entire footwell, the fit is perfect. The good thing about is that it covers everything, holds almost a gallon of water and they are a cinch to clean. Downside is they are certainly no beauty queens but if your interior is black they are pretty invisible anyway. Something to consider when the coco's get dingy
Fit looks good, but they also look quite shallow (thinking of the wet pants one would get from them).

Using crappy-fitting and -looking, but well-performing Michellin car mats, for those who care about their pants as well as pretty good (although not Weather Tech caliber) water retention.
http://www.michelin-lifestyle.com/ur...4_Zoom5323.jpg
Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM

2004 E320 & 2015 C400
Accessory Controls Pic

As requested, here are two more detailed pictures of the accessory controls....Also, the Michelin mats look very nice and probably offer incredible protection from the elements but I still prefer the girth, look, feel, performance and ease of maintenance of the real Cocomats ( www.cocomats.com ) over anything else that I've seen on the market.....there are a few companies that claim to sell a variation of cocomats but, in my opinion, these mats seem to be a much thinner, more lightly woven and less substantial alternative at, however, a much friendlier price point....I'll be heading to Buffalo on Wednesday but not quite ready to take the C400 along for the ride....the E320 has a heated steering wheel, wears Nokian Hakka R2's and is dog-friendly....I appreciate everyone's in-depth forum discussion and read and respect the opinions of all.....Happy Thanksgiving.....
Attached Thumbnails C400 with Cocomats-accessory-1.jpg   C400 with Cocomats-accessory-2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
As requested, here are two more detailed pictures of the accessory controls....Also, the Michelin mats look very nice and probably offer incredible protection from the elements but I still prefer the girth, look, feel, performance and ease of maintenance of the real Cocomats ( www.cocomats.com ) over anything else that I've seen on the market.....there are a few companies that claim to sell a variation of cocomats but, in my opinion, these mats seem to be a much thinner, more lightly woven and less substantial alternative at, however, a much friendlier price point....I'll be heading to Buffalo on Wednesday but not quite ready to take the C400 along for the ride....the E320 has a heated steering wheel, wears Nokian Hakka R2's and is dog-friendly....I appreciate everyone's in-depth forum discussion and read and respect the opinions of all.....Happy Thanksgiving.....
Thanks for the pics! That's the rear fog lamp isn't it?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
....I'll be heading to Buffalo on Wednesday but not quite ready to take the C400 along for the ride....the E320 has a heated steering wheel, wears Nokian Hakka R2's and is dog-friendly....I appreciate everyone's in-depth forum discussion and read and respect the opinions of all.....Happy Thanksgiving.....
Buffalo??

WeatherTech!!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:46 PM

2004 E320 & 2015 C400
That is indeed the rear fog light switch and I don't think that weather mat ready to handle this past week's Buffalo weather has yet left the drawing board....I'm an admittedly shallow kind of guy who would much rather sacrifice a bit on floor mat function for the sake of form and appearance...
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
That is indeed the rear fog light switch and I don't think that weather mat ready to handle this past week's Buffalo weather has yet left the drawing board....I'm an admittedly shallow kind of guy who would much rather sacrifice a bit on floor mat function for the sake of form and appearance...
Cocomats do look great, and they are very sturdy. Not to pry but you are not the youngest one of us around here? I can remember when cocomats were the hottest commodity and I was pretty young Made with real coconut husk fiber.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Cocomats do look great, and they are very sturdy. Not to pry but you are not the youngest one of us around here? I can remember when cocomats were the hottest commodity and I was pretty young Made with real coconut husk fiber.
I admit to having Cocomats in my first new car (not used or hand-me-down), a 1972 Audi 100LS, so I'm not the youngest one here either. This is a real photo from an old album.

They looked particularly good with the tan interior and the multi-color weave of natural/tan/brown fibers. But, it wasn't too long before I was cleaning out more shreds of mat fibers than any other dirt, and then they curled up. Maybe they are better-made 40 years later?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I admit to having Cocomats in my first new car (not used or hand-me-down), a 1972 Audi 100LS, so I'm not the youngest one here either. This is a real photo from an old album.

They looked particularly good with the tan interior and the multi-color weave of natural/tan/brown fibers. But, it wasn't too long before I was cleaning out more shreds of mat fibers than any other dirt, and then they curled up. Maybe they are better-made 40 years later?
I remember Audis 100. My God they were slowwwwwww! Im probably not less than 10 yrs younger than you !
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I remember Audis 100. My God they were slowwwwwww! Im probably not less than 10 yrs younger than you !
Don't fret....you'll close the experience gap over time.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM

2004 E320 & 2015 C400
Hahaha....not sure of anyone's age not that it really matters for anyone with an automotive passion but my first car was a used 1958 Chevy Biscayne which was traded in for a used 1960 Chevy Corvair (Ralph Nader's favorite) which,in turn, got flipped for a used 1962 Chevy Impala convertible....first new car came next when I purchased a 1963 Corvette Stingray convertible which I kept for 18 years and just turned 40K on the odometer when I sold it...Route 66 was one of my favorite TV shows so the split window coupe was not a consideration....someone should start a link entitled "First Ride" so we can all show our age....gotta go now and take my nap..
Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
My goodness that is a loaded C400. Some of those things you don't get on the E-Class. WOW.

M
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Hahaha....not sure of anyone's age not that it really matters for anyone with an automotive passion but my first car was a used 1958 Chevy Biscayne which was traded in for a used 1960 Chevy Corvair (Ralph Nader's favorite) which,in turn, got flipped for a used 1962 Chevy Impala convertible....first new car came next when I purchased a 1963 Corvette Stingray convertible which I kept for 18 years and just turned 40K on the odometer when I sold it...Route 66 was one of my favorite TV shows so the split window coupe was not a consideration....someone should start a link entitled "First Ride" so we can all show our age....gotta go now and take my nap..
I'll take that challenge

First car: Beater 74 Peugeot 504 that had been growing weeds on my grandmas yard. First new car 83 civic. Many, many Hondas after that.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
1st Car Challange

You'all are just kids. My 1st car was a 1928 Ford. (20 yrs old)
Old 04-05-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 EQS 580 Nautical Blue Macchiato interior.
Parents hand me down '54 Plymouth Belvedere (6 cylinder).
Thought I had died & gone to heaven.
In Germany (Army) in late 60's. Coco mats were the ultimate
statement of style. Drove a VW 1600 fastback to Bremerhaven for shipment
back home flat-out all the way & couldn't keep up with a post war Bimmer
on the autobahn. Too many cars since then to enumerate. If I had the wealth of
Jay Leno, would need a very large indoor space. Something about growing up in America
& a strong passion for 4 wheels & a motor. It's all good! Divot , I like your thinking!!
Mercedes caught my attention with the E400!��