C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Video Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Video Review

This guy is Clueless! He managed to put together a review, seemingly without ever actually driving the car, while using old stock footage of the W204!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM

S205
This guy is on a crusade! is it K-A's Aussie Cousin?

"BMEP" ... what?? (watch from 3:55)

Last edited by Eilers; 11-21-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 PM

S205
1 hr 8 min review - Talk about being thorough!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
That 3rd one was on point! Great details. (I added my own personal commentary to sub for my language barrier. I think at one point he said "you lazy Americans are smoking crack if you think you can get rear headroom and a standard sunroof like this one "

Last edited by floridadriver; 11-21-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Eilers

2015 Mercedes Benz C Class Review & Comparison - YouTube

I had seen this one it made me laugh! Sure why buy a Mercedes when a Mazda has four wheels seats and an engine! I could have made the same argument about a Honda Fit (a fantastic car in its own right). Heck the Fit makes 130 HP from a normally aspirated 1.5 cylinder engine and makes 41 mpg! It also has 4 wheels, sits five (really).
Old 11-21-2014, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by floridadriver
That 3rd one was on point! Great details. (I added my own personal commentary to sub for my language barrier. I think at one point he said "you lazy Americans are smoking crack if you think you can get rear headroom and a standard sunroof like this one "

Since this was a sanctioned video it also had the obligatory reference bashing Japan, claiming the Senkakus and the entire South China Sea. You know since it says China its all sovereign Chinese territory! There are also references to the amazing new Chinese stealth fighters to defend China from American imperialism. How quick they forget that if it wasn't for the Gringos they would be drinking Sake and singing Banzai!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W205
@floridadriver, I really wanna watch this 3rd video but I can't seem to figure out how to get this video subtitled. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Audi S4
LOL. That first one was so lame: "it helps you keep from crashing". "helps protect hips".... they show a W204. I thought something was out of place with those LEDs when they showed someone driving. haha.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Don't want the laugh to be on me

Originally Posted by c4004matic
I had seen this one it made me laugh! Sure why buy a Mercedes when a Mazda has four wheels seats and an engine! I could have made the same argument about a Honda Fit (a fantastic car in its own right). Heck the Fit makes 130 HP from a normally aspirated 1.5 cylinder engine and makes 41 mpg! It also has 4 wheels, sits five (really).
I'm not laughing, and I have a 2015 C300 on order! None of the people I know value high-end cars. So to justify buying a Mercedes, I need a very good reason, if the laugh is not going to be on me.

I live in a suburb so upscale that Mercedes has the second-highest number of registrations. However, of the people I know there, some are wealthy, but most are retired professionals and academics. They all drive Toyotas, Subarus, or an occasional Lincoln. My church in a very nice, neighboring suburb is mostly made up of engineers and technicians. Like my neighbors, to them a car is just a tool, like a hammer. They simply do not appreciate any of the less tangible, aesthetic virtues of driving. When the first cars without a steering wheel are made, both groups will buy them in a heartbeat. That's how much they care about sportiness.

Mercedes would love to sell to these two demographics. In Germany, people like these do buy Mercedes (but then they never buy another, to the end of their days!). In America, these and similar U.S. demographics buy the message that this Australian commentator makes, that Mercedes cars are overpriced. I buy it too, or rather, I would buy it, were it not for the fact that he ended his discussion of innovative technology with a comparison of innovative engine technology only.

I didn't like the crack he made about the "intangible value" of a Mercedes appealing to "a certain kind" of buyer. (He is referring to "conspicuous consumption.") But all of his facts were correct, and so was his analysis. To his critique can be added that sad fact that Mercedes owners cannot claim to buy their cars because of Mercedes' reliability, not when the new CLA has the worst reliability in the most recent Consumer Reports ratings.

So what's my excuse for buying a second C-Class in "only" eight years? When I bought my first C-Class, I added only one, low-priced option. I could claim that the MSRP was no more than a mid-sized SUV (the bread-and-butter car of my church parking lot). Then I saved $5,000 by taking delivery in Germany. This time, my C-Class is loaded, and I cannot pretend that it is not a very expensive car. No, I have only one good reason for buying, the innovative technology of Intelligent Drive in the Driver Assist Package.

Only two days ago, I had lunch with two retired engineers. Both were very interested to hear about the world's first affordable semi-autonomous car (the very first being the S-Class). We are all elderly, and we confess that we are starting to make mistakes. (A few months ago, one of these friends caused a multi-car accident that totaled his car and two others. It was a crossing traffic type of accident that Intelligent Drive might have been prevented.) So a car that would brake and steer on its own in order to take care of its occupants very much appealed to them. Plus, it simply awoke their dormant professional instincts for mechanical ingenuity and innovation.

I am a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, so I must be a Mercedes enthusiast. But I am not willing to be accused of being like Harley-Davidson riders, many of whom attribute to their bikes mysterious spiritual qualities that no one else can see. To avoid such criticism, we should not dismiss criticisms like this Australian commentator's video. He is wrong in saying Mercedes prices cannot be justified, only as long as Mercedes offers something that no lower priced model offers. That something can be a ride that is soft, but also stable. It can be luxury, technology, or any number of other automotive virtues. Each buyer of a Mercedes should know what that something is and why it is important enough to him or her to overcome the otherwise excessive cost of a Mercedes.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by gfmohn
I'm not laughing, and I have a 2015 C300 on order! None of the people I know value high-end cars. So to justify buying a Mercedes, I need a very good reason, if the laugh is not going to be on me.

I live in a suburb so upscale that Mercedes has the second-highest number of registrations. However, of the people I know there, some are wealthy, but most are retired professionals and academics. They all drive Toyotas, Subarus, or an occasional Lincoln. My church in a very nice, neighboring suburb is mostly made up of engineers and technicians. Like my neighbors, to them a car is just a tool, like a hammer. They simply do not appreciate any of the less tangible, aesthetic virtues of driving. When the first cars without a steering wheel are made, both groups will buy them in a heartbeat. That's how much they care about sportiness.

Mercedes would love to sell to these two demographics. In Germany, people like these do buy Mercedes (but then they never buy another, to the end of their days!). In America, these and similar U.S. demographics buy the message that this Australian commentator makes, that Mercedes cars are overpriced. I buy it too, or rather, I would buy it, were it not for the fact that he ended his discussion of innovative technology with a comparison of innovative engine technology only.

I didn't like the crack he made about the "intangible value" of a Mercedes appealing to "a certain kind" of buyer. (He is referring to "conspicuous consumption.") But all of his facts were correct, and so was his analysis. To his critique can be added that sad fact that Mercedes owners cannot claim to buy their cars because of Mercedes' reliability, not when the new CLA has the worst reliability in the most recent Consumer Reports ratings.

So what's my excuse for buying a second C-Class in "only" eight years? When I bought my first C-Class, I added only one, low-priced option. I could claim that the MSRP was no more than a mid-sized SUV (the bread-and-butter car of my church parking lot). Then I saved $5,000 by taking delivery in Germany. This time, my C-Class is loaded, and I cannot pretend that it is not a very expensive car. No, I have only one good reason for buying, the innovative technology of Intelligent Drive in the Driver Assist Package.

Only two days ago, I had lunch with two retired engineers. Both were very interested to hear about the world's first affordable semi-autonomous car (the very first being the S-Class). We are all elderly, and we confess that we are starting to make mistakes. (A few months ago, one of these friends caused a multi-car accident that totaled his car and two others. It was a crossing traffic type of accident that Intelligent Drive might have been prevented.) So a car that would brake and steer on its own in order to take care of its occupants very much appealed to them. Plus, it simply awoke their dormant professional instincts for mechanical ingenuity and innovation.

I am a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, so I must be a Mercedes enthusiast. But I am not willing to be accused of being like Harley-Davidson riders, many of whom attribute to their bikes mysterious spiritual qualities that no one else can see. To avoid such criticism, we should not dismiss criticisms like this Australian commentator's video. He is wrong in saying Mercedes prices cannot be justified, only as long as Mercedes offers something that no lower priced model offers. That something can be a ride that is soft, but also stable. It can be luxury, technology, or any number of other automotive virtues. Each buyer of a Mercedes should know what that something is and why it is important enough to him or her to overcome the otherwise excessive cost of a Mercedes.
The same can be said of any luxury car. The term itself implies extravagant (aka not rationally justifiable spending). However the implication that the Mazda is superior to the Mercedes is unadulterated bull****. It doesn't handle or ride like it. I drive a car that in 1999 was producing 120hp/liter without any forced induction, no other manufacturer aside Ferrari has made and engine with more specific HP. In no way does that entail that Mercedes makes an inferior or less inherently valuable than Honda. Take Hondas competition to the C class, the Acura TLX. The six cylinder version provides 31 mpg highway the same as the much less powerful turbo four of the C300. Would I buy a TLX over a C class? Not in any universe I can imagine. I would buy a c300 over a TLX SHAWD though slower and less equipped any day of the week plus Sunday. The driving experience is completely different.
In regards to reliability I hope, the CLA is, hopefully, a blip. Remember its MBs first FWD, at least in the USA. If you check consumer reports, the previous C and E class have had excellent reliability. The S class has always Benn less than reliable since it has enough doodads to embarrass the space shuttle one thing or another (heated armrests, massaging seats?) is prone to be non operational at one time or another.

As I have said previously, for the title of best most people are willing to pay a premium.

In a perfect world we would all be driving the Honda CRV I just bought my daughter. Its interior is much bigger than the c class, particularly in the second row, it has twice the cargo space, it accelerates and handles well, it brakes as well as the C class and, for 33k it has all the safety features of the C class to boot. BTW its also AWD and gets 34mpg!

Does it now make sense why this Aussie's ranting is absolutely ridiculous?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM

2016 C400 4Matic
Since this was a sanctioned video it also had the obligatory reference bashing Japan, claiming the Senkakus and the entire South China Sea. You know since it says China its all sovereign Chinese territory! There are also references to the amazing new Chinese stealth fighters to defend China from American imperialism. How quick they forget that if it wasn't for the Gringos they would be drinking Sake and singing Banzai!
did you watch that video? it's a very thorough review from Taiwan and I'm from Taiwan and I don't know what are you talking about bashing Japan and the China stuffs, there was nothing like that in that video

Last edited by kfm999; 11-22-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 AM

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by Eilers

2015 Mercedes Benz C Class Review & Comparison - YouTube
What a waste of time listening to this nasal moron prating on about gizmo features. How can you compare a base model car with a fully loaded Jap box? May have been more relevant comparing a fully loaded C. Go buy a Kia or a Mazda mate !
Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 AM

S205
Originally Posted by DBOC205
What a waste of time listening to this nasal moron prating on about gizmo features. How can you compare a base model car with a fully loaded Jap box? May have been more relevant comparing a fully loaded C. Go buy a Kia or a Mazda mate !
He is totally ridiculous. The description of BMEP sound's like a something used in 1930 for deciding what engine should go in your tractor. Does he consider emissions etc?

Isn't the C200 diesel engine sourced from Renault anyway?

Last edited by mikeyw; 11-23-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by kfm999
did you watch that video? it's a very thorough review from Taiwan and I'm from Taiwan and I don't know what are you talking about bashing Japan and the China stuffs, there was nothing like that in that video

Just a joke. I'm pretty sure 99% of us have no clue what it says! Just giving China crap (the one with a billion people)!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 AM

B200T
The same can be said of any luxury car. The term itself implies extravagant (aka not rationally justifiable spending). However the implication that the Mazda is superior to the Mercedes is unadulterated bull****. It doesn't handle or ride like it. I drive a car that in 1999 was producing 120hp/liter without any forced induction, no other manufacturer aside Ferrari has made and engine with more specific HP. In no way does that entail that Mercedes makes an inferior or less inherently valuable than Honda. Take Hondas competition to the C class, the Acura TLX. The six cylinder version provides 31 mpg highway the same as the much less powerful turbo four of the C300. Would I buy a TLX over a C class? Not in any universe I can imagine. I would buy a c300 over a TLX SHAWD though slower and less equipped any day of the week plus Sunday. The driving experience is completely different.
In regards to reliability I hope, the CLA is, hopefully, a blip. Remember its MBs first FWD, at least in the USA. If you check consumer reports, the previous C and E class have had excellent reliability. The S class has always Benn less than reliable since it has enough doodads to embarrass the space shuttle one thing or another (heated armrests, massaging seats?) is prone to be non operational at one time or another.

As I have said previously, for the title of best most people are willing to pay a premium.

In a perfect world we would all be driving the Honda CRV I just bought my daughter. Its interior is much bigger than the c class, particularly in the second row, it has twice the cargo space, it accelerates and handles well, it brakes as well as the C class and, for 33k it has all the safety features of the C class to boot. BTW its also AWD and gets 34mpg!

Does it now make sense why this Aussie's ranting is absolutely ridiculous?
Agree with you with most of what you said here.

As for the 34mpg thing, well, if there was a CRV Type R or whatever with a 2 liter turbocharged engine that produces 241HP and 272lbs of torque at similar RPMs as the Mercedes C300, it would do less than 34mpg (probably less than 25mpg).

It's Mercedes' choice not to bring more economical engines to North America. Not sure if the decision is based on objective surveys that told them that those weaker engines won't sell, or they are afraid that it'll make their brand look less prestigious by having those around.
Either way, I would be one of the customers that would sacrifice some of that performance for better fuel economy (and lower buying price).

And gfmohn, I can't attest to Harleys having mysterious demons in them, but I can tell you that my old Mazda Protege had a rust demon in it, so maybe it's true!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec Sport
Originally Posted by frank69m
LOL. That first one was so lame: "it helps you keep from crashing". "helps protect hips".... they show a W204. I thought something was out of place with those LEDs when they showed someone driving. haha.
I dropped a line to the chap who made the video as the comments were disabled on the YouTube clip. I'm still waiting to hear back from him as to why he didn't drive it and cut in stock footage from about seven years ago (I wasn't nasty, just curious).
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Agree with you with most of what you said here.

As for the 34mpg thing, well, if there was a CRV Type R or whatever with a 2 liter turbocharged engine that produces 241HP and 272lbs of torque at similar RPMs as the Mercedes C300, it would do less than 34mpg (probably less than 25mpg).

It's Mercedes' choice not to bring more economical engines to North America. Not sure if the decision is based on objective surveys that told them that those weaker engines won't sell, or they are afraid that it'll make their brand look less prestigious by having those around.
Either way, I would be one of the customers that would sacrifice some of that performance for better fuel economy (and lower buying price).

And gfmohn, I can't attest to Harleys having mysterious demons in them, but I can tell you that my old Mazda Protege had a rust demon in it, so maybe it's true!
We never get the much cheaper "rest of the world" models. We get models with the highest baked in profit margin. Its always been that way. Its also a brand image thing. Very few people if anyone, would buy a diesel Mercedes that has as much horsepower as a Honda civic. In the US we're fixated with the power thing. Most Americans would be completely surprised that Mercedes also makes pedestrian models of their "luxury" machines.