C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Differences in the Details from a W204 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2015 | 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
Differences in the Details from a W204 Owner

I have been waiting long to pick up a w205 C class but decided to wait for the 350E model which is supposedly coming this Fall. Well, in the meantime, I was able to convince my sister to pick one up and so we did last weekend. Got a great deal on it, and after combing over every inch with a fine tooth comb, I thought it would be interesting to point out the small details that I saw are different from the previous generation. Obviously, I won't point out the obvious changes, but I was surprised by some of the more subtle details, both good and bad.

1) No more fabric lined bottom doors. To me, a cost cutting decision. I am certainly worried about this as I have other cars that are hard plastic and get permanent scratches from people getting in a out. The previous generation had fabric that covered this bit so that you can easily wipe it clean.

2) Trunk liner fabric seems rougher? On the bright side, I love how the collapsible basket and cargo net is included. I was surprised that the US market also gets the high visibility jackets when the previous generation didn't include the orange triangle as seen in other markets.

3) Poorly designed glove box? Seems much smaller without a shelf, and seems to have an unusually small opening.

4) Hood no longer opens 90 degrees. I thought this was a trait of every late mercedes, so I was really surprised by this.

5) Speed gauge seems pretty busy. I know some people didn't like the floating needle of previous generations, but I think it had a cleaner look in the past. I think the problem is that every 10 MPH increments are listed, instead of every 20.

6) Not sure if I am wrong, but I didn't notice the rear camera when parked. Does it retract when not in use?

All in all, I would agree with all the glowing reviews so far. Absolutely beautiful car inside and out. And if anyone was wondering, I feel that the 18" on the sport suspension is more forgiving than the 18" sport on the W204

Curious to see if you noticed the same things, and if I missed anything else.
Old 01-03-2015 | 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
1) IMO the fabric made it a lot harder to clean and more prone to stain from shoes.
I was pleased to see gone

2) Cant tell any difference on the trunk liners.

3) The design on the glovebox is better looking but I agree that the opening is a bit narrow.

4) Yes it does, press the lower black button on the right gas spring (when standing in front of the car) while slightly lifting it upwards, to release press the upper black button.

5) Dont see that problem here as we only have Km/h , I really like the sharp contrast of the red hands and the lit white lettering.

6) Yes, the camera in the 205 retracts, no more water or grime on the lens.
I was concerned it wouldnt work in cold weather, but no problems in -15 C
Old 01-05-2015 | 04:43 PM

2017 C43
My wife drives a 204 coupe, and I've had almost all of the MB models (never owned an S or CLS, but have been in plenty).. I was amazed how the new C class- the previous entry level sedan - has a more luxurious feel than the latest SL - a car double it's price.

I mean, the SL is very nicely appointed, leather on everything, all kinds of stitching.. but to me the new w205 feels like an upgrade (interior, stylewise) - it is an awesome evolution of the quality that will be expected across all lines in the future