C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

AMG Pack Agility Control vs. Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
AMG Pack Agility Control vs. Sport Suspension

Hi All,

Just noticed there are 2 modes to param the AMG package:
- Agility Control Suspension (code 485);
- Sport Suspension (code 486)

while I had thought AMG comes always with Sport suspension.

Which are the differences between these 2 options ?

Sorry if the topic was already covered in another thread, but I was not able to find it.

Thank you,
amo
Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Hi,

Found additional information on the 2 potential options HERE:

A. AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system and lower chassis
This suspension system, which has a selective passive damping system, provides all-round ride comfort on any road surface. The vehicle is lowered by 15 millimetres, improving handling on bends in particular, and giving the vehicle a sportier look.

No-cost option in conjunction with the AMG Line Exterior design and equipment line; Standard equipment for the C 220 BlueTEC BlueEFFICIENCY Edition and in conjunction with AVANTGARDE Exterior; not available for C 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, C 400 4MATIC or AMG models.

B. Lowered sports suspension and Sports Direct-Steer system
Lowering the vehicle by 15 mm and featuring a firmer suspension/damping configuration, this sporty variant of the AGILITY CONTROL suspension allows a more dynamic driving style. The selective, passive damping system continues to deliver high driving comfort.

Not available for the C 220 BlueTEC BlueEFFICIENCY Edition or the AMG models, nor in conjunction with standard exterior; Standard equipment in conjunction with the AMG Line Exterior.

Q: Can you confirm the information above is correct and for C400 MATIC and 250 BlueTEC 4 MATIC models only option B. is applicable ?

Local (new) sales person is not able to provide me this information.

If information is correct, this puts me in a very difficult situation:
- the car I drove and liked was a C 220 BlueTec with AMG package equipped with option A.;
- the car I ordered is a C 250 BlueTec 4 MATIC AMG package that will come equipped with option B (as the only available option), however I have not clue how it beehives. Should I try to change it ( if still possible ) to AIRMATIC to obtain the effect of option A. I have enjoyed so much ?

Your support and inputs are highly appreciated.
Thankfully,
amo
Old 12-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Glyn,

please provide your input.

it is the time to provide some clarity in the mb haos.

thank you in advance,
regards,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 12-30-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:28 PM

all gurus (Glyn, C404matic, StanNH, etc),

your inputs are highly appreciated.

my car, to be produced in late jan, to be delivered mid feb, I don't know how it is going to be configured ( DE plan - sorry Glyn ) - AGILITY CONTROL SUSPENSION or SPORT SUSPENSION.

again, base is C W205, C 250 BlueTec CDI, 4 MATIC, 7-G transmission, AMG Package Exterior.

count on me to provide extensive inputs once car is delivered.

thanks,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 12-30-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
One problem is that the various option packages are not the same in each market. In Europe, the AMG style package can be ordered with the base suspension. In the US, the Sport package includes the AMG styling with the Sport suspension.

Agility does not depend on Sport suspension, and is available on all suspension packages. It only affects the suspension with Airmatic though.

So, not such an easy question to answer.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by StanNH
One problem is that the various option packages are not the same in each market. In Europe, the AMG style package can be ordered with the base suspension. In the US, the Sport package includes the AMG styling with the Sport suspension.

Agility does not depend on Sport suspension, and is available on all suspension packages. It only affects the suspension with Airmatic though.

So, not such an easy question to answer.
StanNH,

Thank you for your input.

"In Europe, the AMG style package can be ordered with the base suspension. " fits the explanations above (C220 BlueTec AMG style as example),
however, my understanding is AMG style 4MATIC models like C400, C250 CDI cannot be produced with base suspension.

IMO, selected definitions from MB IE site are not "commercial" and don't depend on the market, but technical explanations saying how a car can be produced or not.

Q: Am I wrong ?

Agility CONTROL, YES, you're right, it is applied to all type of suspensions as stated in the explanation as well. So, correct question is:

Q: Are C250CDI and C400 4 MATIC AMG style (Line Exterior) produced only with sport suspensions due to technical constraints or base suspension is an option as well in certain markets?

Thanks,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 12-31-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Stan's comments are all right on the mark. However, you must discuss the options & gain clarification from your salesman regarding your market. Different markets package differently. There is no technical constraint to fitting base steel suspension to C250CDI or C400 4Matic.

As an example the latest rumour in SA is that the Active Advanced Agility Control similar to the W204 option might be offered on steel suspended models in addition to the Air suspension next year.
(i.e. sensors, controller, active Magnetorheological dampers/shock absorbers, switchable). The system was favoured in SA.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-31-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Glyn, Stan,

Appreciate your inputs.

According to local dealer, 250CDI AMG Line Exterior 4 MATIC can be fitted with base suspension (code 485) - they have already delivered cars with these specs. This is not the case in Germany, Ireland, e.g. configurator on mercedesbenz.de does not allow you choosing code 485 if 250CDI AMG Line Exterior 4 MATIC is selected.

On the local site/configurator, the issue was the description of the AMG Line Exterior stating Sport Suspension as 1st line, however the Sport Suspension (code 486) was not selected behind. More, sales persons were not aware about that situation ... they stated I will get Sport Suspension. Now, they have acknowleged the situation.

Unfortunately, in any case I'll not get the suspension I've liked on C220 CDI BlueTec BlueEfficiency Edition - code 677 (AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system and lower chassis). This suspension is improving handling on bends which is so important to me. According to local dealer, this suspension cannot be fitted on my C250 CDI 4 MATIC - don't understand why !?

How should I proceed ? Your advice is needed ...

Thankfully,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 12-31-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Talk to the Mercedes Benz representatives for Romania. Talk to Germany if you have to & make sure your car is ordered the way you want it if that is a standard configuration for the Romanian market & available.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Talk to the Mercedes Benz representatives for Romania. Talk to Germany if you have to & make sure your car is ordered the way you want it if that is a standard configuration for the Romanian market & available.
Glyn

this is the current issue: configuration I would like C250 CDI 4 MATIC + suspension code 677 ( base suspension lowered 15 mm) is not available ...

options I have:
A. code 485 base suspension ( not lowered ) - most probably too soft and high;
B. code 486 sport suspension ( 15 mm lowered ) - most probably not comfortable enough in our roads conditions.

confusion was created by local sales not being aware about all these suspension options. they told me if AMG is selected only 1 steel suspension is available - the sport one. and my assumption was I've already tested it and enjoyed it on that C220 CDI - WRONG, that car had suspension code 677...

now, I do not know what to order ... your advice is appreciated ...

thanks,
amo
Old 12-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

I don't like the Sport steel suspension. Is the Airmatic too expensive in Romania? Then you can tune it as you want it.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM

I don't like the Sport steel suspension. Is the Airmatic too expensive in Romania? Then you can tune it as you want it.
A Happy New Year to all of you !

Thanks Glyn for your support.

AIRMATIC costs 1400 EURO and I've considered it initially. However, after testing C220 CDI and being so satisfied with 677 suspension I've configured my car without it. Moreover, AIRMATIC is not available in Romania to test.

Additional reason was sales person statement that, if I would choose AIRMATIC, the leasing rate will increase as he has to include 2 spare units. That is something I didn't challenge as my decision was to go without AIRMATIC. Of course, it triggered me a question mark regarding AIRMATIC reliability. I have already posted this information in the "AIRMATIC Must have or not" thread.

Now, I should come back and discuss. Any support in this "negotiation" is highly appreciated.

Thankfully,
amo

Last edited by oachim; 12-31-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oachim

options I have:
A. code 485 base suspension ( not lowered ) - most probably too soft and high;
B. code 486 sport suspension ( 15 mm lowered ) - most probably not comfortable enough in our roads conditions.

amo
I have the base steel suspension. I won't comment on the other choices, but I can say based on my own experience that the "code 485 base suspension" is not a soft suspension setup. It is actually quite firm and does offer excellent control of body motion. The car does sit fairly high but, certainly here, that's okay given the many poor roads, gravel, and snow I have to deal with.

The Airmatic may be a good choice, but it is more expensive. Your best option would be a test drive if possible.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Good advice as always. I can't add anything. We all have to be realistic about the kind of roads we are going to operate the vehicle on.

Regards the negotiation you need to decide what you want & tell them to change the order if necessary before it's too late.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by StanNH
I have the base steel suspension. I won't comment on the other choices, but I can say based on my own experience that the "code 485 base suspension" is not a soft suspension setup. It is actually quite firm and does offer excellent control of body motion. The car does sit fairly high but, certainly here, that's okay given the many poor roads, gravel, and snow I have to deal with.

The Airmatic may be a good choice, but it is more expensive. Your best option would be a test drive if possible.
Stan, read in the other threads and know you're one of the persons encouraging for base suspension.

I have the old Agility Control on my W204 Avantgarde 250CDI 4 MATIC and the car does not handle as I would like in bends. It might be due to the heavier diesel engine + 4 matic system that adds weight to the car as well. I need to get a W205 improved from this perspective.

Anybody that can compare the W204 base suspension with the new old fitted on W205 ?

Thanfully,
amo
ps: I'll check on Monday if any car with base suspension available to the local dealer. All cars I have seen so far in their garage are 220 CDI Bluefficiency with code 677 suspension.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

The old agility control suspension came in two forms on the W204 Avantgarde.

Passive Agility Control with passive dampers that sensed road conditions by how hard the damper was working.

Active Advanced Agility Control with active magnetorheological dampers, sensors, controller & a Sport button on the dash to select what you wanted.

Did you have standard Agility Control or Advanced Agility Control with Sport switch? (I'm not talking about the transmission switch. I'm talking about a separate Sport switch)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-01-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 AM

The old agility control suspension came in two forms on the W204 Avantgarde.

Passive Agility Control with passive dampers that sensed road conditions by how hard the damper was working.

Active Advanced Agility Control with active magnetorheological dampers, sensors, controller & a Sport button on the dash to select what you wanted.

Did you have standard Agility Control or Advanced Agility Control with Sport switch? (I'm not talking about the transmission switch. I'm talking about a separate Sport switch)
Glyn,

your question made me find and look in the old offer for my W204.

description states Agility Control Suspension with code 677 ?! Nothing on Passive or Active.

What should I expect from the base suspension code 485 on w205 ? Is it going to be even softer ?

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
amo
Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I would expect it to be about the same. You did not have the Advanced Agility Control.

However, remember that the W204 basically shared the W203 suspension plus a few frills.

For W205 they have completely redesigned the back & front suspension & it has different spring & damper rates. Trying to make direct comparisons is not valid.

The W205 is a better handling car than W204 in all regards.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Remember. The W203 & W204 were terminal understeer'ers in typical Benz fashion for the safety of poor drivers. Neither car had great turn-in & this was further influenced heavily by tyre choice.

The W205, is to me at least, a far more neutral steering vehicle. It turns in beautifully & you can even provoke slight over steer if you are an idiot. I have only driven 205 in Comfort, lowered Sport & AIRMatic configurations. The chassis shows the same tendencies in all forms ~ comfort & isolation is what is different.

W205 is a big step up from W204.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I'm also a bit cautious that these cars might be set up slightly differently for different markets. No South African built W205, even the comfort suspended "Exclusive" model rides as high as a Lux from Tuscaloosa. That thing looks like it's on stilts.

At the end of the day you are going to have to test drive the different options & decide for yourself. We can't decide for you.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Remember. The W203 & W204 were terminal understeer'ers in typical Benz fashion for the safety of poor drivers. Neither car had great turn-in & this was further influenced heavily by tyre choice.

The W205, is to me at least, a far more neutral steering vehicle. It turns in beautifully & you can even provoke slight over steer if you are an idiot. I have only driven 205 in Comfort, lowered Sport & AIRMatic configurations. The chassis shows the same tendencies in all forms ~ comfort & isolation is what is different.

W205 is a big step up from W204.
Glyn,

Your words encourage me ... if I understand it correctly, I should not expect significant degradation in handling the car in bends being 677 and 485. I'll see what it is available for test on Monday ... and of course, I'll report back ...

Regarding the look of the car, I'm afraid AMG Line with non-lowered suspension might look ridiculous / strange !?

Is somebody having a picture of such configuration ?

Many thanks,
amo
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a picture of that configuration.

Our highest riding W205 here looks exactly like the pics from the Portuguese press launch. This Blue car is a Diesel Hybrid BTW.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

This is what I mean by the US Lux photographed by a member at Park Place in Dallas.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oachim
Stan, read in the other threads and know you're one of the persons encouraging for base suspension.
Only in the sense that it is a very competent suspension and incurs no additional cost. Too often advice is given on a "must have" basis, which usually means nothing more than "What I have is best."

Cars are driven in different environments, by different people, with different needs. Regarding suspensions, there are four distinct variations offered in the W205 .. all are quite good and well engineered. Basically, you can say they range from a bit softer, to not so soft, to firm, and flexible/adjustable in their configurations. The best choice is the one that best suits the needs of the buyer, which is not necessarily what others feel is best.

I've driven three of the four choices ... I still haven't been able to drive an Airmatic car. I would make no suggestion other than to try as many as you can, and then make a rational decision based on what you think will best satisfy your own driving conditions and needs.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

+1^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Pack Agility Control vs. Sport Suspension