C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Question about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I think some of you are overreacting here, its not as if the car is a deathtrap?, its is all cosmetic issues.
And yes I agree that this is bad, but give the dealer a chance to fix the issues before demanding new cars.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A180 / On order S205
Originally Posted by vic viper
I think some of you are overreacting here, its not as if the car is a deathtrap?, its is all cosmetic issues.
And yes I agree that this is bad, but give the dealer a chance to fix the issues before demanding new cars.

Haha I agree with you here, it's not like the brakes arent working :p but it is however not a fun view and not a thing one should expect.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
I'd want a new car, all the same. If one or two isolated issues, ok. This poor guy has a string. There's also no confidence that the seat cover change won't be from same supplier. If there's one on the lot that's made the same cold weather w/o an issue, it's a safer bet.

And Vic, I'm ok that you disagree with me. if I went and bought a computer, or even a dress and it had that many problems, it go back. Not asking for a settlement because it was a death trap. Nicely would say i just didn't get any what I purchased.

Last edited by HelenR; 01-05-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:10 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by A Odman
Haha I agree with you here, it's not like the brakes arent working :p but it is however not a fun view and not a thing one should expect.
No break issue yet, but, the multiple owners with steering broken and requiring a flatbed truck ride for service are on another thread though. And that still hasn't gotten a fix from reading on another forum. It's not that this fellow has only had an issue or two. His call though. My car? No way they'd not be buying it back. Zero chance.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Perhaps MB should think about instituting MB Select for US W205 customers, as well.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/merce...ers-2500-perks

My family's owned 7-8 MBs since 1983. They were a mix of leather and MB tex. I've never seen anything like that b/f.

As far as people over-reacting.... No, I don't think people should be demanding new cars, but I wouldn't blame someone if they decided to never own an MB after an issue like this. A car costing $50,000 from the world's oldest automaker shouldn't have WIDESPREAD cosmetic issues like this (the material was leaching over ALL of the seating surfaces!). It's not like MB has never used this material b/f. And it's not like MB is new to building cars (even in the US). IMO, truly unacceptable.

I'm so sorry, Stan. I hope MB makes it right (although they usually don't, in my experience).
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by alsyli
Perhaps MB should think about instituting MB Select for US W205 customers, as well.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/merce...ers-2500-perks

My family's owned 7-8 MBs since 1983. They were a mix of leather and MB tex. I've never seen anything like that b/f.

As far as people over-reacting.... No, I don't think people should be demanding new cars, but I wouldn't blame someone if they decided to never own an MB after an issue like this. A car costing $50,000 from the world's oldest automaker shouldn't have WIDESPREAD cosmetic issues like this (the material was leaching over ALL of the seating surfaces!). It's not like MB has never used this material b/f. And it's not like MB is new to building cars (even in the US). IMO, truly unacceptable.

I'm so sorry, Stan. I hope MB makes it right (although they usually don't, in my experience).
MB should fix the issue for future builds effective today and offer new cars to folks with repetitive issues within months of delivery. Seems a better business model than scaring customers away and ticking off the ones you have.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. The process starts today ... they have the pictures and the TSB, and I expect my first discussion later this morning.

Realistically, I can't insist they do anything other than repair the damage under warranty. As Vic pointed out, this is not a safety issue at all. It is a very serious, and very upsetting, cosmetic issue that has to be dealt with.

This happened once before, but all it resulted in were oily patches on the rear seats and headrests. It all cleaned off with warm water and was fine for a couple of months .. then this happened. That means that the leaching issue will not disappear as the material cures, nor can it simply be washed away. It is a recurring problem.

This leaves me with a few options, none of which involve Lemon Law litigation since this does not yet meet the New Hampshire requirements. The dealer can offer to remove all the stains and treat the seats, but I don't see this as a permanent fix. They can offer to recover the seats and replace the headrests, as per the TSB, but this is very labor intensive and does not guarantee a fix if they are back to the current production MB-Tex. They may agree to replace the seats with leather, which would eliminate the problem entirely, but would also require factory approval. They may be amenable to a trade-in for a new car, with little or no cash involved, but that would also require factory approval. Regardless, I will ask for a free extended warranty which, under the circumstances, should be considered a very reasonable request.

I expect my dealer will offer me valet service and pick up the car at my home, and leave me a new C300 as a loaner. They've done that for me in the past. The rest depends on how high up this goes in the Mercedes food chain.

I can rant and rave, I can jump up and down all I want, but the resolution really depends on just how far the company is willing to go in keeping me happy. My legal standing right now is limited to what I have under the terms of the MB-USA warranty. Unless this goes longer than 30 days, all I can do is ask for satisfaction.

This is such a good car, it's a shame that all these issues are happening on what is essentially a brand new car. My gut feeling is that the Alabama plant and its suppliers are a major factor, but that's just a guess. Anyone want to take a guess at what the Consumer Reports first year reliability ratings for this car will look like? I am very disappointed.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Stan

Thanks for your level headed and restraint. I think we can all pontificate from afar and some of the comments posted by others are verging on the hysterical - but the important thing to remember here is that YOU, are the poor sod having to deal with the disappointment and frustration. You have my sympathy and respect.

Good luck mate!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Stan, you have every right to be upset. Benz handling of the situation now is what matters. Volatiles (plasticisers) will ultimately stop vacating the MBTex as they only make up a certain percentage of the vinyl & will simply run out.

As encouragement ~ there is no reason why replacement seat covers should not be every bit as good as the originals sans leach out. Hopefully this is an isolated batch of out of spec material. Replacement covers from Benz are identical to those used in production & in my experience fit perfectly as long as correctly installed & their colour matching is perfect. In SA where the cars start expensive, costing many more months typical salary than they do in the US & holding value far better, frequently dealers will re-upholster the driver's seat in cars on the used lot. They are always perfect & as new.

There is no excuse for this issue however, but unfortunately Tuscaloosa is set up for the perfect storm. New model, new to building passenger cars at that site, new local component suppliers right down to engines from Nissan NA etc. etc. ad nauseum. Not the greatest track record either.

SA built W204 for NA with top up from Bremen & Sindelfingen & there were no issues of any note.

MBUSA must make you happy. I suggest being polite as is your nature, but very firm. Don't take any nonsense. Make sure you are satisfied. Make good use of your loaner ~ less miles on your vehicle. Ensure they minimise your inconvenience.

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-05-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Stan, even if replacing the MB tex is labor-intensive, the TSB makes it clear that that is the recommended corrective action. Your pictures make the extent of the prob very clear, and MB also understands the power of social media. They aren't going to fight you on that, and they should give you a loaner for the entire time your car is being serviced (I think that's pretty standard procedure).

I don't know if you might want to wait a few months before asking for the replacement just to give MB additional time to make sure the replacement batch of material isn't having the same issues?

I don't know if it's possible to replace it w/ leather since the leather package includes ventilated seats (at least in the US). Not sure if that means the leather won't fit correctly over "regular" (non-ventilated) seats.

I imagine first-year reliability in the CR survey, as it has been w/ the new S-class and CLA, will be terrible. =(
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alsyli
Stan, even if replacing the MB tex is labor-intensive, the TSB makes it clear that that is the recommended corrective action. Your pictures make the extent of the prob very clear, and MB also understands the power of social media. They aren't going to fight you on that, and they should give you a loaner for the entire time your car is being serviced (I think that's pretty standard procedure).

I don't know if you might want to wait a few months before asking for the replacement just to give MB additional time to make sure the replacement batch of material isn't having the same issues?

I don't know if it's possible to replace it w/ leather since the leather package includes ventilated seats (at least in the US). Not sure if that means the leather won't fit correctly over "regular" (non-ventilated) seats.

I imagine first-year reliability in the CR survey, as it has been w/ the new S-class and CLA, will be terrible. =(
If they can replace the MB-Tex with something that is problem free, and fits perfectly with no signs of any work having been done, that would be fine. I'm not sure if that can be guaranteed, especially given the lack of a permanent solution in the TSB. It sounds like they still haven't been able to isolate the source of the bad material ... but I don't now that.

I have also sent the pictures to MB-USA to make them aware of this, and I have indicated that a replacement car would be a good option for me.

The ball is in their court ....
Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by StanNH
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. The process starts today ... they have the pictures and the TSB, and I expect my first discussion later this morning.

Realistically, I can't insist they do anything other than repair the damage under warranty. As Vic pointed out, this is not a safety issue at all. It is a very serious, and very upsetting, cosmetic issue that has to be dealt with.

This happened once before, but all it resulted in were oily patches on the rear seats and headrests. It all cleaned off with warm water and was fine for a couple of months .. then this happened. That means that the leaching issue will not disappear as the material cures, nor can it simply be washed away. It is a recurring problem.

This leaves me with a few options, none of which involve Lemon Law litigation since this does not yet meet the New Hampshire requirements. The dealer can offer to remove all the stains and treat the seats, but I don't see this as a permanent fix. They can offer to recover the seats and replace the headrests, as per the TSB, but this is very labor intensive and does not guarantee a fix if they are back to the current production MB-Tex. They may agree to replace the seats with leather, which would eliminate the problem entirely, but would also require factory approval. They may be amenable to a trade-in for a new car, with little or no cash involved, but that would also require factory approval. Regardless, I will ask for a free extended warranty which, under the circumstances, should be considered a very reasonable request.

I expect my dealer will offer me valet service and pick up the car at my home, and leave me a new C300 as a loaner. They've done that for me in the past. The rest depends on how high up this goes in the Mercedes food chain.

I can rant and rave, I can jump up and down all I want, but the resolution really depends on just how far the company is willing to go in keeping me happy. My legal standing right now is limited to what I have under the terms of the MB-USA warranty. Unless this goes longer than 30 days, all I can do is ask for satisfaction.

This is such a good car, it's a shame that all these issues are happening on what is essentially a brand new car. My gut feeling is that the Alabama plant and its suppliers are a major factor, but that's just a guess. Anyone want to take a guess at what the Consumer Reports first year reliability ratings for this car will look like? I am very disappointed.
Best wishes to your encounter. In responses, can see gender differences in approach.. hahaha. I wouldn't be unkind, but as you echo, asking trade in on new car they should like better than waiting for lemon law, which assumes you're not getting another one and want a cash settlement. Then you can see the seats after the cold and avoid damage of them fixing this like your gas cap paint issue. It's not unreasonable considering your time of ownership and other issues to expect a replacement.

To answer your Consumer Reports question, this car will come out with a bunch of those big black circles. Maybe the worst car of 2015 if the factories aren't fast to fix the flaws within the 2015 build for the reasons that Glyn pointed out, and offer fast fixes for problems, and replacements for repeat offender cars.

I hope you're already starting to bend MBUSAs ear. Eventually, if you don't trade for a new one and problems continue at this pace, they should expect that you get fed up, want cash and to drive anything but and forego a trade in option.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Stan, I'm sorry to see/hear about your latest issue. My car has the same problem, albeit to a much lesser degree. I've noticed that the MB Tex secretes an oily residue when the temps go below freezing and particularly in areas right after a passenger has exited the vehicle.

I've been dropping my wife at work for the last two weeks due to a leg injury and the below zero temps we've recently experienced. She doesn't notice it because the surface becomes really shiny in the spots where she was just sitting. I've seen portions of the interior get glossy but nothing like where my wife was just sitting...it goes aways within a few minutes. It's very odd and I've never seen anything like it before.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
I have also sent the pictures to MB-USA to make them aware of this, and I have indicated that a replacement car would be a good option for me.

The ball is in their court ....
I would strongly recommend that you establish a contact @ MBUSA, Montvale, NJ, if you haven't already done so. MBUSA should clearly understand that your photos are potentially very damaging to their reputation. They need to quickly satisfy you with an acceptable remedy.

IMO, your best outcome would be a replacement car, preferably one with leather !

Good luck with your negotiations !
Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM

W205
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I would strongly recommend that you establish a contact @ MBUSA, Montvale, NJ, if you haven't already done so. MBUSA should clearly understand that your photos are potentially very damaging to their reputation. They need to quickly satisfy you with an acceptable remedy.

IMO, your best outcome would be a replacement car, preferably one with leather !

Good luck with your negotiations !
Yes.. keep sites like Jalopnik and Autoblog in mind too if MB decides to brush you off or tells you that it's "normal". This would also entertain quite a few BMW and Audi enthusiasts via social media.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E90 335i
good heavens those pics are terrible... never seen anything like that before. I'd blow a gasket at my dealer until they make it right.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update

So, today after driving the car for a while, all the white stains disappeared and the MB-Tex is now almost completely covered in a glossy oil-like substance. The stuff is actually oozing out of the vinyl and has even formed little droplets in some spots. I'm sure after the car gets cold again in my unheated garage, the white lanolin feeling stuff will come back.

The service manager called and left a message on my phone while I was out. She said they were aware of the issue and that an entire repair package was being made available by Mercedes. She also said that those parts are experiencing a backlog right now, and are on a backorder status. Gee, I wonder why there's a backlog of the parts to fix the case of the bleeding seats? When she calls back, I'll ask about what the repair entails. I'll also broach the subject of an extended warranty being offered to me as compensation.

If an image of the Virgin Mary appears on my seats I'm leaving.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-05-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:00 PM

2012 C250 Sport
So, today after driving the car for a while, all the white stains disappeared and the MB-Tex is now almost completely covered in a glossy oil-like substance. The stuff is actually oozing out of the vinyl and has even formed little droplets in some spots. I'm sure after the car gets cold again in my unheated garage, the white lanolin feeling stuff will come back.
Oh, yuck, yuck, yuck. I'd ask them to send you a loaner NOW, even if there's a backlog (unless they want to reimburse you for your damaged clothing). You can't be driving a car that's constantly oozing oily stuff all over the seating surfaces.

Very gross for you, very embarrassing for MB....

If you see the Virgin Mary, maybe she's just trying to tell you that it'll all work out? ::sigh::
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
If an image of the Virgin Mary appears on my seats I'm leaving.

Bless you for still having a sense of humour. LOL,that's hilarious!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Bless you for still having a sense of humour. LOL,that's hilarious!!!

No kidding, hang in there and that gave me a good belly laugh!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
[QUOTE=StanNH;6284015
The service manager called and left a message on my phone while I was out. She said they were aware of the issue and that an entire repair package was being made available by Mercedes. She also said that those parts are experiencing a backlog right now, and are on a backorder status. Gee, I wonder why there's a backlog of the parts to fix the case of the bleeding seats? When she calls back, I'll ask about what the repair entails. I'll also broach the subject of an extended warranty being offered to me as compensation.
[/QUOTE]

This all sounds absolutely dreadful for a new Mercedes !! If I were in your situation, I would not accept a "repair" sometime in the unspecified future, I would be asking for a replacement car ASAP, preferably with leather seats !!!

Tell your dealer and MBUSA that you expect them to offer you a reasonable exchange for a new C300 (with leather). I think this makes much more sense than asking for an extended warranty. You most certainly do not wish to repeat this experience with another C300 that has the same MBtex seat covers !
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
There is no excuse for this issue however, but unfortunately Tuscaloosa is set up for the perfect storm. New model, new to building passenger cars at that site, new local component suppliers right down to engines from Nissan NA etc. etc. ad nauseum. Not the greatest track record either.
I had heard discussion that Renault was going to make engines for Mercedes for the C Class but didn't know that for sure. I'm assuming that it is the four cylinder. Where is the US C400 engine made?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Stan, I'm sorry to see/hear about your latest issue. My car has the same problem, albeit to a much lesser degree. I've noticed that the MB Tex secretes an oily residue when the temps go below freezing and particularly in areas right after a passenger has exited the vehicle.

I've been dropping my wife at work for the last two weeks due to a leg injury and the below zero temps we've recently experienced. She doesn't notice it because the surface becomes really shiny in the spots where she was just sitting. I've seen portions of the interior get glossy but nothing like where my wife was just sitting...it goes aways within a few minutes. It's very odd and I've never seen anything like it before.
What concerns me is not only the appearance of the seats but what is it doing to your clothes? What if somebody sat on them with some fine fabric?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM

'15 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Oh wow, I completely forgot I had had this issue, as well. Mine was isolated to the rear seats, and thankfully wasn't half as bad as the photos in this thread. It all cleaned right off with mild detergent and warm water.

One more thing to bring up to the service folks next week :/
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Good sense of humor Stan! I might be asking them to just buy back the car and pick another one off the lot. The part backup is the other side of silly considering what you've been though.

Even if they decline, if they keep your car waiting for new MBTex, it gets you closer to 30 days out, and all else fails, another issue in the near term, you're in a verifiable lemon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about MB-Tex