C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmester Stereo Issues :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mhammer
I am experiencing the same buzzing issues with the upgraded sound system on a 2017 c300 I just bought brand new!!! It's horrible!!! My 2005 c230 sounded way better. It had Harmon Kardon system! This is a disgrace!!!
Your current car has a Harman/Kardon system too. It just happens to be a poorly designed one with a different name on it. Here's a write up on upgrading the factory Burmester:

www.w205audio.wordpress.com

Short version, start by adding a DSP amp and that will vastly improve the performance of the stock speakers. The primary deficiency in the Burmester (and most MB HK systems) is in the factory EQ. Properly tuned the stock speakers are fine. You may want a sub at some point but even the "Frontbass" speakers wake up and start hitting with the right power and EQ applied.

Last edited by Mike5215; 08-29-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
Originally Posted by Mhammer
I am experiencing the same buzzing issues with the upgraded sound system on a 2017 c300 I just bought brand new!!! It's horrible!!! My 2005 c230 sounded way better. It had Harmon Kardon system! This is a disgrace!!!
I have a 2016 C250 with the 'burmester' system and I have taken it back to MB. They just lubed (yes, lubed!) the speaker clips in the hope it stops the buzzing. It didn't. I'm taking matters into my own hands.

I've started by taking some some foam tape and stuffing it between the door panel and the panel that has the door speaker grill and seat controls. The buzzing mainly comes from that panel (aluminium or ****ty wood look) or the center speaker. I've cured the center speaker buzz by taking the grill off and taking single side adhesive foam tape and sticking it along the edges on the inside of the speaker grill. Basically, padding the grill,making it more stiff when you clip it back in. Seems to work well. MB lubed the sh*t out of the clips on that speaker.. Grease from hell. Geniuses over there.

Anyway, doing the above has made the buzz or loose panels much better. But, the door panels are the most stubborn. Still get the buzz at some levels. But, 80% better than before. I will take the panel off and stick more foam tap inside between the panels and get some dynamat and stick it near the actual speaker to lesson vibration.

It sucks that you need to do this to a £50k car but it seems MB are incapable or just don't want to fix it.

Mike's suggestion of adding a DSP to the setup to get the frequencies right will fix most the buzz issues. But, it does not remove the fact that the door panels and center speaker grill are poorly designed for speakers or anyone listening to half decent music. So, even with a DSP added and the setup done, the buzzing might still occur due to loose parts. So, adding the DSP and doing something similar to what I did (felt or foam tape) will sort it out.

Last edited by shaunds; 08-30-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by shaunds
I have a 2016 C250 with the 'burmester' system and I have taken it back to MB. They just lubed (yes, lubed!) the speaker clips in the hope it stops the buzzing. It didn't. I'm taking matters into my own hands.

I've started by taking some some foam tape and stuffing it between the door panel and the panel that has the door speaker grill and seat controls. The buzzing mainly comes from that panel (aluminium or ****ty wood look) or the center speaker. I've cured the center speaker buzz by taking the grill off and taking single side adhesive foam tape and sticking it along the edges on the inside of the speaker grill. Basically, padding the grill,making it more stiff when you clip it back in. Seems to work well. MB lubed the sh*t out of the clips on that speaker.. Grease from hell. Geniuses over there.

Anyway, doing the above has made the buzz or loose panels much better. But, the door panels are the most stubborn. Still get the buzz at some levels. But, 80% better than before. I will take the panel off and stick more foam tap inside between the panels and get some dynamat and stick it near the actual speaker to lesson vibration.

It sucks that you need to do this to a £50k car but it seems MB are incapable or just don't want to fix it.

Mike's suggestion of adding a DSP to the setup to get the frequencies right will fix most the buzz issues. But, it does not remove the fact that the door panels and center speaker grill are poorly designed for speakers or anyone listening to half decent music. So, even with a DSP added and the setup done, the buzzing might still occur due to loose parts. So, adding the DSP and doing something similar to what I did (felt or foam tape) will sort it out.
The DSP would allow you to suppress the frequencies that cause the buzzing but at the expense of getting the sound you actually want. When we did my 205 the shop also Hushmatted the crap out of the interior door panels. So much in fact that they had to use slightly longer panel clips to put the door panel itself back on. In addition to killing rattles, it also makes the doors sound much more solid when you close them.

Honestly the whole audio system, from the way it's designed to how it's installed, is a huge disappointment. If music in the car is a priority for you this is the wrong car. The amount of time and money it takes to make it reasonably acceptable is proportionally very high relative to other cars in the segment.

For example, I rented a 2018 BMW 430i 'vert for two weeks over the summer. It had the "base" unbranded audio system, which is largely the same stuff as in the optional upgraded Harman/Kardon, with a few less speakers and less amplification.

It gets two 8" shallow mount dual voice coil subs under the front seats, 2-way 4" fronts in the doors, 4" mids in the rear panels and a center dash speaker. It's very easy to tune, and simply playing my Iphone music through a $3 DSP app was more than enough. The Prima DSP would be next level stuff in that car, where in the C it just manages to make the system listenable.

In fact, I liked the car and the audio system so much I just locked a build on 430i Coupe with the upgraded HK hardware.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The DSP would allow you to suppress the frequencies that cause the buzzing but at the expense of getting the sound you actually want. When we did my 205 the shop also Hushmatted the crap out of the interior door panels. So much in fact that they had to use slightly longer panel clips to put the door panel itself back on. In addition to killing rattles, it also makes the doors sound much more solid when you close them.

Honestly the whole audio system, from the way it's designed to how it's installed, is a huge disappointment. If music in the car is a priority for you this is the wrong car. The amount of time and money it takes to make it reasonably acceptable is proportionally very high relative to other cars in the segment.

For example, I rented a 2018 BMW 430i 'vert for two weeks over the summer. It had the "base" unbranded audio system, which is largely the same stuff as in the optional upgraded Harman/Kardon, with a few less speakers and less amplification.

It gets two 8" shallow mount dual voice coil subs under the front seats, 2-way 4" fronts in the doors, 4" mids in the rear panels and a center dash speaker. It's very easy to tune, and simply playing my Iphone music through a $3 DSP app was more than enough. The Prima DSP would be next level stuff in that car, where in the C it just manages to make the system listenable.

In fact, I liked the car and the audio system so much I just locked a build on 430i Coupe with the upgraded HK hardware.
does adding/changing the MB audio system void the entire car's warranty? or does it just void the audio system aspect of the car warranty?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by shaunds
does adding/changing the MB audio system void the entire car's warranty? or does it just void the audio system aspect of the car warranty?
I'd think it would be limited to damage to the factory amp or the factory speakers specifically. For example if the DSP caused a low impedance condition that cooked the amp, or if the DSP had a power surge that blew some speakers. I wouldn't sweat it with the Match/Helix or Prima.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
BURMESTER RESPONDED

Hey guys! So i reached out to Burmester regarding the "buzzing" and 'crackling" sound coming from my speakers. They have responded and with a solution! I have showed this to my dealer and hopefully this is the final time I have to hear this annoying noise. Hope this helps everyone out!!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
Same issue

i’ve got the same issue unfortunately in my c300 4matic (18000km) even i did use my phone and i plaied songs on some brand new MB C E AND CLA CLASS that have Burmester system all got the same annoying sound except S CLASS
i hope u got the solution soon
Old 03-01-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
No issues in my car and I have aluminium trim. The only thing I hate is that the bass turns off when you increase speed. I wish the system did not do that as it's annoying.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:10 AM

w205
Please confirm if you got the Burmester sound system and and what MB car you have
then try these songs with volume to the max

or

or

Old 03-03-2018, 02:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C250
Originally Posted by Patrickh123
Mercedes better find a way to fix this or I will never buy or lease another vehicle from them.
Correct. I’m not buying Mercedes again until they start giving 5 years warranty on the cars. Burmester is just fine, it goes to Porsche vehicles as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
No issues in my car and I have aluminium trim. The only thing I hate is that the bass turns off when you increase speed. I wish the system did not do that as it's annoying.
Never heard of that. The bass on mine does not do that. I'm very happy with my sound system.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Just got my speakers fixed. The buzz was so annoying when i was listening to talk radio i had to take it to the dealer asap. no hassle from them.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 PM

2000 ML320, 2000 S500
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
Just got my speakers fixed. The buzz was so annoying when i was listening to talk radio i had to take it to the dealer asap. no hassle from them.
Ahh, I think I have this same problem on my 2018 w/ Burmester. I listen to NPR 80% of the time in the car, and the random buzzing sound is driving me insane. It's almost always John Sepuvado's voice from the California Report :P
Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 AM

S63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
MBSebas87 can you please advise how the speakers were repaired. I'm having the same issue with 2015 S63 AMG. Music pops and when your on the phone the phone calls are horrible with this popping noise coming from the speakers. Its so irritating.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
I also have an issue with the sound. It's coming from the center speaker mostly... This is highly disappointing. It's not so much a buzz as a distortion.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
I went in twice. The first time they replaced the front speaker on the dash and adjusted some thing on the speakers of the drivers door. Buzz still coming from other speakers, I took it in again. They adjusted something on speakers from all doors. I can’t find the paperwork otherwise I would post it. Also, I noticed that when there’s no sound and driving over bumpy roads or uneven, the buzz, rarely, comes out with no sound being played. I think the housing of speakers is the problem. Since it rarely happens now, haven’t bothered to take it in.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:00 PM

W213 E-class
Smile SOLVED !!!!! (rattling front left door speaker)

*** Didn't work out after all *** Read my message further down from 03-21-2019 *** It's the LED strip that rattles in its frame !!! ***

Hi all,

I love my E-class Merc (a W213), and I absolutely love the (little) Burmester... but not always...
I've had a rattling/buzzing front left door speaker for almost 2 years now. It's nerving during phone conversations, and sometimes audible whilst playing music (depends on the song). With an oscillator I could provoke the buzz somewhere between 250Hz and 300Hz.
I took it to the dealer when the car was about 3 months old (early 2017), only to hear that they had one other car with the same problem (a W205), couldn't do anything about it, and would get back in touch when they had a solution. Which they still didn't...

All "sounds" familiar ?

After reading and re-reading this whole thread a couple of times, it inspired me to the following successful approach (=> THANKS TO ALL OF YOU).

I didn't want to take off the whole door panel (car still under warranty, and it's a company lease car so not really mine). But I dared to try to remove just the part in which the speaker is placed. I fiddled around, didn't succeed to remove it, BUT whilst lifting up the TIP of the panel (= under the door locking pin at the far end of the speaker) about 1/10", all of a sudden the buzz stopped ! So I definitely found the root cause.
It's NOT a speaker problem, it's the speaker panel rattling against the rest of the door panel !!! (at least in my case)

So I only needed to find a way to keep the tip of the speaker panel slightly away from the rest of the door panel.
I lifted up the tip, and slipped in 2 small pieces of soft isolation (about 1/4" thick). After releasing the tip it gets compressed to about 1/25" - totally invisible but just enough to keep the parts slightly away from each other.
Other material like some thick felt or so will probably also do the trick - just give it a try.

I'll drive it for some time and see if it comes back. If it does then I just need to redo the job but a little less "quick and dirty".

Hope this helps at least some of you !!

The 2 RED LINES ON THE PICTURE indicate where I pressed small soft pieces of isolation tubes (about 1/6" wide - reduced to about 1/25" once compressed) between the edge of the speaker panel and the door panel. Just enough to have the tip of the speaker panel not touch the rest of the door panel.

Last edited by BenzIsTop; 03-21-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:41 AM

2010 W212
Sounds like the speakers are blown

I have the same issue with my 2018 C300, here in NY.
When I listen to certain AM stations (710 & 770), sounds like the speaker cones are ripped.
For the most part, when listening to FM, Sirius, Bluetooth, my iPod, sounds normal.
Definitely has to do with certain frequencies.
Dealer has replaced the antenna booster, and the radio, it’s the same thing.
I wouldn’t have expected this on a 50K car.
Not sure what else to do at this point.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by david2u
When I listen to certain AM stations (710 & 770), sounds like the speaker cones are ripped.
For the most part, when listening to FM, Sirius, Bluetooth, my iPod, sounds normal.
It's crazy. It just got worse with the cold... When I turned OFF the "SURROUND" mode. It made it less noticeable. But with it on, for some reason it sounds like crap like a busted speaker with sound frequencies or sound combinations. As for why it got worse with the cold, I'm not sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 PM

2010 W212
Turned surround off

I turned the surround off but, I think it got worse.
The cold doesn’t seem to make any difference.... still sucks.
I’m going to call Mercedes corporate tomorrow, and see if they have any info on it.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM

AMG C220 4matic
Burmester buzzing, rattling, distortion noise.

I don’t know if this thread has been resolved, however I experience the same issue with the speakers making a buzzing noise... anyway... after many times back and forward from the dealer,, replacing the speakers etc... one of the technicians solve the issue by replacing the speakers holder... this worked for me and the speakers now sound perfect... as it should be.. I can now enjoy the quality of the music hassle free...
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM

AMG C220 4matic
Originally Posted by Butterback
It's crazy. It just got worse with the cold... When I turned OFF the "SURROUND" mode. It made it less noticeable. But with it on, for some reason it sounds like crap like a busted speaker with sound frequencies or sound combinations. As for why it got worse with the cold, I'm not sure.
Originally Posted by P111NOJ
I don’t know if this thread has been resolved, however I experience the same issue with the speakers making a buzzing noise... anyway... after many times back and forward from the dealer,, replacing the speakers etc... one of the technicians solve the issue by replacing the speakers holder... this worked for me and the speakers now sound perfect... as it should be.. I can now enjoy the quality of the music hassle free...
I turned the surround off but, I think it got worse.
The cold doesn’t seem to make any difference.... still sucks.
I’m going to call Mercedes corporate tomorrow, and see if they have any info on it.

I don’t know if this thread has been resolved, however I experienced the same issue with the speakers making a buzzing noise... anyway... after many times back and forward from the dealer,, replacing the speakers etc... one of the technicians solved the issue by replacing the speakers holder... this worked for me and the speakers now sound perfect... as it should be.. I can now enjoy the quality of the music hassle free... no need to turn surround off at all... it seemed the speaker was vibrating against the holder piece

Last edited by P111NOJ; 01-26-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: misspeling
Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM

2010 W212
Originally Posted by P111NOJ

I don’t know if this thread has been resolved, however I experienced the same issue with the speakers making a buzzing noise... anyway... after many times back and forward from the dealer,, replacing the speakers etc... one of the technicians solved the issue by replacing the speakers holder... this worked for me and the speakers now sound perfect... as it should be.. I can now enjoy the quality of the music hassle free... no need to turn surround off at all... it seemed the speaker was vibrating against the holder piece

Did he replace all of the speaker holders? When mine starts to make that noise, it comes from all the speakers in the car.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 AM

AMG C220 4matic

Have a look at my previous post... I would recommend to get the speaker holder piece replaced... I had the same issue and they even replaced the speakers etc... however, when they replaced the speaker holder, this did the trick....
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
You do realize that this Burmeister sound system doesn't really have Burmeister speakers. It's just that the system is balanced and processed by Burmeister. The speakers themselves are pretty stock.

Here's a member who replaced them with higher quality speakers a few years ago...shows what speakers we really have: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ster-myth.html

Last edited by rustybear3; 01-28-2019 at 12:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burmester Stereo Issues :(