C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Possible to disable the auto start stop?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W205 C400
Possible to disable the auto start stop?

The salesman told me the auto start stop always turns on by default.

Is there any way to use a VAG COM to reprogram it so *** is disabled permanently? Really annoying if you have to press the button every time u turn on the car.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
This is interesting for me.
I heard that Brabus made something to disable start stop
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C400
All c class owners should complain to MB about this. And the fact that the car always starts in comfort mode instead of remembering the agility mode selected when the car was last driven. These two issues could be easily fixed with a firmware update and they are both annoying and unnecessary. I cannot imagine a w205 owner that wouldn't both be irritated by this design and anxious for a fix. If enough people complain Im sure a fix will be made.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM

2015 C300, 2008 C300(sold)
Originally Posted by Jaxwired
All c class owners should complain to MB about this. And the fact that the car always starts in comfort mode instead of remembering the agility mode selected when the car was last driven. These two issues could be easily fixed with a firmware update and they are both annoying and unnecessary. I cannot imagine a w205 owner that wouldn't both be irritated by this design and anxious for a fix. If enough people complain Im sure a fix will be made.
I agree. Even my '15 Wrx remembers its last mode at startup. Equally annoying is having to press enter to accept Garmin map pilot terms every startup.

I think it's stupid to have to press 3 buttons every time I start the car... 1)Pushbutton 2)disable auto shutoff 3)accept map pilot terms.

Last edited by bdwg22; 01-16-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM

2015 C220
To me this is such a non issue as it takes just a second to switch off the auto start stop. I have other things in my life that are much more important to lose sleep over.....
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This will be the 12,456th thread on this topic lol

Any tuner can disable it for you
Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM

w205
Originally Posted by SofFMike
To me this is such a non issue as it takes just a second to switch off the auto start stop. I have other things in my life that are much more important to lose sleep over.....
This is a ridiculous comment.. Obviously it bothers the poster enough to write about it here, and if you search other MB forums anywhere you'll find similar people complaining everywhere. Why bother having memory seats and other conveniences if it just 'takes a second'. If you think its a non-issue then fine but don't try to make the poster feel silly about complaining. I think this is a major flaw when it comes to MB design.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 PM

2015 S205
-

Last edited by eaglehorn; 01-16-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by rapalax
This is a ridiculous comment.. Obviously it bothers the poster enough to write about it here, and if you search other MB forums anywhere you'll find similar people complaining everywhere. Why bother having memory seats and other conveniences if it just 'takes a second'. If you think its a non-issue then fine but don't try to make the poster feel silly about complaining. I think this is a major flaw when it comes to MB design.
Agreed. I consider it to be quite annoying and it's gotta be the number one thing that people complain about after getting a w205. And the crazy thing is how easy it would be to fix. Costs MB nothing to change this.

As someone that religiously uses the parking break, I know have 4 things to do to back out of a parking space. 1. Press start. 2. release Parking break. 3. Press agility up 3 times to get to individual mode (and no, I can't press down once because it doesn't wrap, also lame). 4. Put car in reverse.

Imagine if your TV always went to Channel 2 on power up? Only takes a second to change. Or how about the car stereo. How about if it reset back to factory defaults when you start the car. Just takes a second to readjust the bass, treble, mids, balance, and fader and then select your favorite station again right? No problem. That would be awesome.

One concern I have is if my wife borrows my car. She is not C400 savy yet and I don't want her having to deal with the start/stop. For one thing, if you park and the start/stop turns the engine off for you, you still have to press the button or the car won't lock and the car is still technically "on". I don't want to have to explain all that to my wife so she can borrow my car one time for a quick trip. Sheesh...
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by Jaxwired
Agreed. I consider it to be quite annoying and it's gotta be the number one thing that people complain about after getting a w205. And the crazy thing is how easy it would be to fix. Costs MB nothing to change this.

As someone that religiously uses the parking break, I know have 4 things to do to back out of a parking space. 1. Press start. 2. release Parking break. 3. Press agility up 3 times to get to individual mode (and no, I can't press down once because it doesn't wrap, also lame). 4. Put car in reverse.

Imagine if your TV always went to Channel 2 on power up? Only takes a second to change. Or how about the car stereo. How about if it reset back to factory defaults when you start the car. Just takes a second to readjust the bass, treble, mids, balance, and fader and then select your favorite station again right? No problem. That would be awesome.

One concern I have is if my wife borrows my car. She is not C400 savy yet and I don't want her having to deal with the start/stop. For one thing, if you park and the start/stop turns the engine off for you, you still have to press the button or the car won't lock and the car is still technically "on". I don't want to have to explain all that to my wife so she can borrow my car one time for a quick trip. Sheesh...
Great points. My wife will probably very rarely use the car. So, if she pulls into the parking stall at the store the engine will shut off. But unless she pushes the start/stop to cut the engine, it will still be on. Sure I can tell her, but will she remember 6 months later when she happens to drive the car.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 PM

15 C300 Sport SOLD!!! :)
My guess is the EPA is to blame for both issues - in order to get the fuel economy rating for this vehicle and achieve the CAFE standards. Perhaps a tuner can help disable or pre-set these, but I doubt if MBZ ever will.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Originally Posted by rapalax
I think this is a major flaw when it comes to MB design.
Every car I've ever been that has a start/stop feature operates the same way. Although most of us here may not like that it defaults to the "on" position what is the benefit to the manufacturer if you could just keep it turned off all the time?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Don't you understand, it's all for your own good!

Originally Posted by Mikemcn
My guess is the EPA is to blame for both issues - in order to get the fuel economy rating for this vehicle and achieve the CAFE standards. Perhaps a tuner can help disable or pre-set these, but I doubt if MBZ ever will.
Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Every car I've ever been that has a start/stop feature operates the same way. Although most of us here may not like that it defaults to the "on" position what is the benefit to the manufacturer if you could just keep it turned off all the time?
You're not supposed to disable the auto start/stop, you're supposed to get used to it! As soon as most cars have this feature, I'm sure the feds will end the ability to disable the auto start/stop. They may do this by mandating it or by simply by tightening the screws on fuel economy so that the manufacturers will have to do it (or else do even more unpleasant things). But it will be done.
Have any of you complainers had to deal with auto start/stop on a MANUAL transmission? I just got back from Germany, where I rented a VW Passat diesel with a manual transmission. It is indeed disconcerting to shift into gear with the engine not running. However, unless I was too quick, the engine would start just in time. The diesel had plenty of low-end torque. Full disclosure: I did stall once in an embarrassing situation. But I can do that in an unfamiliar car without auto start/stop. I really had no trouble getting used to the auto start/stop during the ten days I had the car.
The VW did have a hill holder feature, but I didn't need it in the city where I rented the car. I do think that auto start/stop on a car with a manual transmission would be hard to handle on a steep hill. (I grew up in a city that had hills so steep that some of them were closed for the whole winter. They were too steep to plow.) I don't know if cars in Germany that have auto start/stop usually have hill holder. In the U.S., so few cars are sold with manual transmissions that the manufacturers are unlikely to make things any easier for the owners of such cars. (Trucks are another story!)