C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

No Euro Delivery? MB you lost a customer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford Mustang GT
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Where would one find a rental car that would do 200 kph?
I have rented cars from Avis and Hertz that had limits of 240 km/h (due to the tires). The highest speed I travelled was about 225 km/h (140 mph).
Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM

B200T
Where would one find a rental car that would do 200 kph?)
I don't think 200kph is a problem these days. A ~year 2000 Renault Megane Scenic, with a 1.9 turbo diesel engine that we rented would reach 200kph without much effort.
We kept it below 193kph, as there was some vibration from the tires above that, though.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Yes, in Feb. 2006, MB offered me a flat 7% off MSRP on both base price and options. The website seemed to say no negotiations, and the dealer also made it clear. I didn't try other dealers in the area, or otherwise force the issue..
That's pretty much what I'm hearing right now and probably a good part of the reason that BMW does many more EDs each year than MB does; at least so I hear. Volvo has a great deal, if you care to drive one, in that they offer two round trip flights to Sweden, 7% off MSRP, and a night in a nice hotel. But, like I think you said earlier, it's more about the car than it is about the pick up experience. I agree with that, and it is why at this point, with this beautiful new C Class MB, I think I would like to pick the car up here and forgo the ED. In fact, in contrast to BMW, it appears that it is cheaper to pick up an MB here than it is to do an ED. This is based on my dealer here telling me he'd offer 10% off of MSRP, and be able to include any manufacturer incentives on top. According to him, with MB, you can't combine the incentives with an MB ED. With BMW, sometimes it is possible to combine these. Also, with BMW, if you have been a member of the car club for at least 12 months, you can get check after delivery from BMW, for $500. More cash back is available on the upper models. From what I understand, the national MB car club has a similar offer. I think I need to join soon!

One other consideration not yet mentioned concerning ED is financing. I had to finance through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services. I may have just assumed that a U.S. financial institution would not lend money on a car not yet in the U.S. At the time, MB Financial Services was charging 8.5% After two payments, I refinanced through a local bank at 6.5%, a substantial saving. I realize that for many MB owners, financing is not an issue.
Likewise for BMW. What I can say about BMW is that their lease offers are usually quite spectacular.

I realize more and more that one benefit of engaging with other readers on blogs like MBWorld is the constant reminder that what is an important consideration for oneself may not be a consideration at all for others. The same, for differing experiences. I did not consider the possibility that some readers spent much longer periods in Germany and drove their new MBs beyond the break-in period. In Germany, I put 900+ miles on my new W203 for four weeks. I had to pay an extra $320 for insurance for the second two weeks. This was a substantial premium for me at the time. (For those owners planning to stay beyond the basic two weeks, the price of additional insurance is another variable to be considered when comparing ED costs between different manufacturers.)
Each of our trips were about 4 weeks long and we too had to purchase the extra insurance. I just don't remember it being quite so much, but perhaps it was. Still, it's a small amount to pay compared to otherwise renting a car there for a month.

I was also aware that most "tourists" did not spend time visiting relatives. So I assumed that most new MB owners completed their trips within the two weeks of insurance provided in the basic ED offer. Certainly, the new owner who stays in Germany long enough to put over 3000 miles on the new MB has plenty of time to get over jet-lag. There is also time to gradually work up to the really high speeds.
On our first trip we were totally on our own like you assumed. All of our nights were spent in hotels and B&Bs. On two subsequent trips we were fortunate to have become friends with two different German families. They've spent numerous nights in our home as well as we in theirs. That's been an incredible cultural experience for all us.

Most of the Autobahn driving that I see is little different from U.S. interstate driving. I have done most of my Autobahn driving in northwestern Germany, north of Hamburg, with a little driving on Autobahns between Hamburg and Frankfurt and around Stuttgart. I have never seen line-of-traffic speeds in the center lane anywhere near 120 mph, seldom over 120 kph. [mdsbuc, are you sure you didn't really mean 120 kph?]
Yes. That's an American build car, with a U.S. speedometer. Note that these opportunities became available when traffic was light, away from the city, which probably accounted for a little faster than usual pace.

Drivers keep a steady speed, so if they were to slow down to the 120 kph limit in the areas before and after interchanges, I would have noticed. Never mind the legal speed limits, it is really not a good idea to drive over 120 kph in in those areas! Also, when I drive 120 kph in the center lane, I am seldom forcing other drivers to pass me. If I am, they would just have to pass the cars in front of me, so I don't care. On the Autobahns between Kiel (100 km north of Hamburg) and Rendsburg (40 km NW of Kiel), there is often almost no traffic, sometime no traffic (only car on the road). Yet I don't recall any "Rasers" (drivers over 150 km). The German drivers that my wife and I know personally are very concerned about gas mileage.
I can only say that your experiences are different than mine in that regard. Indeed I have been on sections of the Autobahn that are very much like you say, but depending on the day of the week, and the time of the day, things can change. Even in the fast lane, doing 150+ mph, one must frequently check the rear view and side view mirrors because that little speck on the horizon can become a massive object on your tail in just a moment. I know that cars passed me that appeared to easily be doing 200 mph.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
You're braver than I am! Maybe I should have written,"safely do 200 kph." Who knows what the condition of those rented tires is.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 PM

B200T
You're braver than I am! Maybe I should have written,"safely do 200 kph." Who knows what the condition of those rented tires is.
Didn't consider that...I assumed that cars in Europe were built (and maintained) to handle the Autobahns and Autostrade. I was also a lot younger on that trip, where the destinations were the goal, and the drive was just a way to get there.
On the most-recent trip, where we had a Peugeot 3008 never passed 150km/h, as I also took more time to enjoy the scenery.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Mercedes-Benz Club of America (MBCA) discount

Originally Posted by mdsbuc
Also, with BMW, if you have been a member of the car club for at least 12 months, you can get check after delivery from BMW, for $500. More cash back is available on the upper models. From what I understand, the national MB car club has a similar offer. I think I need to join soon!
It's also $500 with the MBCA (no more on high-end models). You must also a member of the MBCA for at least 12 months.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM

B200T
It's also $500 with the MBCA (no more on high-end models). You must also a member of the MBCA for at least 12 months.
$750 in Canada with MBCA
Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Thanks. I'll be joining soon!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 MercedesAMG C63S
What is MBCA?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 AM

Mercedes-Benz Club of America. It's mentioned whenever I used my signature on page 1. mdsbuc referred to it in post #28 as "the national MB car club". So when I replied to him, I knew that he was familiar with the "MBCA". However, neither one of us linked the acronym to the MB club.