C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Anyone else getting gas overflow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Anyone else getting gas overflow?

Hi all,
is anyone else getting spillage from a gas pump when filling up? This has happened on 2 different occasions at two different stations. I'm 44 and know how to pump gas but it seems this car may need some TLC. I've had to wipe the side of my car each time I use the "trigger lock".
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by Yogibara
Hi all,
is anyone else getting spillage from a gas pump when filling up? This has happened on 2 different occasions at two different stations. I'm 44 and know how to pump gas but it seems this car may need some TLC. I've had to wipe the side of my car each time I use the "trigger lock".
I've always had the gas pump shut off correctly, and have never had an overflow problem.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It's likely an EECS problem. Breather kinked or Carbon Canister saturated.

Do you get a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust on first startup after this happens? Dumping raw gas into the inlet manifold via the EECS purge valve.

There is an EECS recall.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL & C-Class
Originally Posted by Yogibara
Hi all,
Ya, this has happened to me a number of times. I live in Canada, and when I go to Esso gas stations the pump cuts off after like $3-4 worth of gas. If I proceed to like force more gas (even if the car is empty) it starts to overflow. This does not happen if I go to Petro-Canada. Not sure if the nozzle type is an issue here. Also, one way I've found to overcome this it to make sure that the nozzle goes in fully and not half way through.

Last edited by rogerfrancis14; 02-09-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: :) :) :)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300W
I am having no luck with Chevron gas stations in the Bay Area. There is only one that uses different type of pump where I don't need to hold the handle to fill it up. Rest of the Chevron's have this style of pump, where I need to squeeze the handle just the right amount or the pump stops. Really a pain to fill up

Tried lifting up, turning right left, nothing works. When the pump stops, since I don't know if the gas tank is full or I squeezed too much, several times gas spillage happened as well. Anyone with the same problem?

Last edited by termzero; 02-10-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
It's likely an EECS problem. Breather kinked or Carbon Canister saturated.

Do you get a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust on first startup after this happens? Dumping raw gas into the inlet manifold via the EECS purge valve.

There is an EECS recall.
Never noticed but the next time I start up (after it overflows) I'll take a look.