C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Apple CarPlay in C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Laser, 1990
Post Apple CarPlay in C-Class

Hi everyone,

I am nearing closer to purchasing my first Mercedes-Benz ever, the new C-Class (W205) C250 and I am wondering whether I should option out Comand system or not. Apple Carplay offers similar stuff for much less so it makes better sense not to take Comand. But I am not sure that for CarPlay to work in the new C-Class if it needs Comand to be installed or not.

So does anyone know whether for CarPlay to be compatible with the C-Class I would have to option Comand or not?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I'm not sure anyone knows at the moment as carplay for the Merc C hasn't even been reported to be close to launch.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Not going to happen in 2015. Maybe in 2016, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There's a multimedia kit that can be installed for iPhone, which may give some backwards compatibility if they expand it to be like carplay.

Amazon.com : Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus : Vehicle Electronics : Electronics Amazon.com : Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus : Vehicle Electronics : Electronics

Unlikely a 'firmware' upgrade in the works. Mercedes will want some $$$. Carplay lost momentum. From some of the blogs of it on Ferrari from users, it's not living up to it's hype to say the least.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Ford Laser, 1990
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I'm not sure anyone knows at the moment as carplay for the Merc C hasn't even been reported to be close to launch.
I have seen a couple of videos on youtube where they were demonstrating CarPlay on the C-Class so I assumed that it was actually ready for launch. Oh well, we'll see then.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That was a development car and very little has been heard since. To be fair, it looks a bit crap with only limited functionality to certain apps.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Ford Laser, 1990
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Not going to happen in 2015. Maybe in 2016, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There's a multimedia kit that can be installed for iPhone, which may give some backwards compatibility if they expand it to be like carplay.

Amazon.com : Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus : Vehicle Electronics : Electronics

Unlikely a 'firmware' upgrade in the works. Mercedes will want some $$$. Carplay lost momentum. From some of the blogs of it on Ferrari from users, it's not living up to it's hype to say the least.
That's just sad, because had it lived up to it's hype I would totally go for it over the Comand because my iPhone is a device that already has all of my navigation data and multimedia preferences. So now I will continue to option Comand on to my C-Class when I purchase it
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by sandile4
That's just sad, because had it lived up to it's hype I would totally go for it over the Comand because my iPhone is a device that already has all of my navigation data and multimedia preferences. So now I will continue to option Comand on to my C-Class when I purchase it
It's a cool concept which I love. To use the car's screen and interface knob (pad) to control a smartphone. Then, it's easy to upgrade the 'guts' of the system with a new phone. The car's systems could be controlled by a proprietary app.

Unfortunately....car's systems are becoming more and more integrated into the computer system (if your command/audio 20 broke in the C, the car's crippled).

And, I don't think the car makers are quite ready to give up their mark ups, and integrate systems with smartphone companies who are equally greedy. Just my perception perhaps.

Carplay was always an 'add on' or 'overlay' to the car's already existing (and usually overly complicated) system. Technology one of the areas that progresses rapidly. Better things to come.

Last edited by floridadriver; 02-09-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
The car's connection speed is so slow I don't know how any online functions would be very practical. I don't know if CarPlay was supposed to use an iPhone for its connectivity or the on board connection. I guess it would work okay if it relied on the phone, but that's the only way it could work well. I already gave up on the MB apps.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
If you really need the feature, don't buy the car until you try it with the car interested.

In this case MB is behind Audi. Audi has announced that their car will be ready in the upcoming model year in 2015.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM
nnk

W205
Originally Posted by solarflare
If you really need the feature, don't buy the car until you try it with the car interested.

In this case MB is behind Audi. Audi has announced that their car will be ready in the upcoming model year in 2015.
Why behind Audi? Announcing is easy: Mercedes originally announced (or at least suggested, with their video's) that CarPlay would be available at/close to launch of the w205 in 2014 .... ;-)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I am putting the alpine 007 car play in my R230 SL. I am sure it will fit in the c lass also. It only relies on your phone.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM

C300W
Latest news on CarPlay:

iOS 8.3 Beta Arrives With Wireless CarPlay Support:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/09/ios...rplay-support/
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM

sl600
The wireless will be good however i like the idea of having to plug it in. Keeps the phone in the glove box or center console which In my opinion should be mandatory to start the car.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 AM

C300W
Originally Posted by F1BHP
The wireless will be good however i like the idea of having to plug it in. Keeps the phone in the glove box or center console which In my opinion should be mandatory to start the car.
I understand your concerns about safety while driving the car and playing with your phone at the same time. It is a major issue, but unfortunately the idea of plugging your phone in to start the car has many downsides, such as what happens if you forgot your phone or you would like to charge someone else's phone.

On the other hand, I would really like it if my phone is plugged in and I stop the car and open the driver's side door, I would like to the message on the screen saying "Don't forget your keys and phone". I tend to forget it in the glove box.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
MB is still listed as a manufacturer who supports CarPlay, yet there is no software in any Mercedes to support this system. Even if IOS 8.3 implements CarPlay, how will MB provide the needed software for existing vehicles? Will it be a 2016 model year new feature, or will they be able to update previous years as well? More questions than answers for now.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM

C300W
Originally Posted by StanNH
MB is still listed as a manufacturer who supports CarPlay, yet there is no software in any Mercedes to support this system. Even if IOS 8.3 implements CarPlay, how will MB provide the needed software for existing vehicles? Will it be a 2016 model year new feature, or will they be able to update previous years as well? More questions than answers for now.
That's true Stan. Considering iOS 8.2 is still in beta, which is soon to be released to public with iWatchKit, I am guessing iOS 8.3 has at least couple more months to be released. Who knows how the wireless system will make the connection. How about a simple USB stick that acts a receiver and an update to Command system? This way no installation required. Just throwing ideas here...
Old 02-14-2015, 03:10 PM

2002 C320
Can Apple TV solve this problem?

I have been thinking of solving this without the help of MB.
1) Buy Apple TV ($100)
2) Buy power inverter to power Apple TV using Car lighter ($60)
3) Tap the HDMI output from Apple TV and convert into the Device input for the console (need to test few options here to see what works)
4) Mirror your iPhone to the Apple TV

Worth giving it some time to resolve... any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ZO
Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by zoustoiny
1) Buy Apple TV ($100)
3) Tap the HDMI output from Apple TV and convert into the Device input for the console (need to test few options here to see what works)

Thanks,

ZO
I like that you think outside of the box!!! I just saw on Bloomberg that Apple is working on releasing an electric car to go up against Tesla. It's not confirmed, Apple secretive, but as with new releases, there's always a few in the know who talk.

Really not much $$$ motivation for Apple, or MB to do carplay. And unless it makes $$$ sense, I'm not holding my breath. IF it comes, I hope it SIMPLIFIES Comand.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by floridadriver
I like that you think outside of the box!!! I just saw on Bloomberg that Apple is working on releasing an electric car to go up against Tesla. It's not confirmed, Apple secretive, but as with new releases, there's always a few in the know who talk.

Really not much $$$ motivation for Apple, or MB to do carplay. And unless it makes $$$ sense, I'm not holding my breath. IF it comes, I hope it SIMPLIFIES Comand.
I find it funny that Apple can't even design a phone battery that lasts all day and yet they want to make an electric car.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:01 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by zoustoiny
1) Buy Apple TV ($100)

Thanks,

ZO
If you are not committed to the iPhone, an easier 'hack' to (potentially) get a smartphone to work with the COMAND system would be to just get an Android phone that supports HDMI through its microUSB port, and get the appropriate microUSB>HDMI adapter.
Could maybe also do Chromecast stick to get it to be wireless, but then you will use up a lot of wireless data
Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 AM

S205
Originally Posted by cidtek
I find it funny that Apple can't even design a phone battery that lasts all day and yet they want to make an electric car.
My iPhone 6+ lasts 2-3 days, which is far more useful than any electric car at the moment.

I even heard Apple might buy Tesla.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 AM

2015 C300
Unhappy CarPlay Won't Work in my NEW 2015 C300! Help!

Hey All-

So I just leased a BRAND NEW 2015 C300 about 3 weeks ago - and as all of you mentioned and know - both Mercedes & Apple's website states that CarPlay is good to go - so I plugged in my iPhone6 Plus (Using the current iOS 8.1 Software) - and NOTHING!

I even went so far as to download iOS 8.3 on my via (via the iTunes Connect Developer Account where I work) - and once again NOTHING!

I've called both Apple & Mercedes and they are NO HELP whatsoever!

What's with this false advertising!? Do I need some kind of software upgrade for my vehicle? Has ANYONE gotten Apple CarPlay to work in the Benz? If so please let me know!

Thx
Steve
Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 AM

sl600
I think the software update to allow it to work has not been finished yet.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shloomz
Hey All-

So I just leased a BRAND NEW 2015 C300 about 3 weeks ago - and as all of you mentioned and know - both Mercedes & Apple's website states that CarPlay is good to go - so I plugged in my iPhone6 Plus (Using the current iOS 8.1 Software) - and NOTHING!

I even went so far as to download iOS 8.3 on my via (via the iTunes Connect Developer Account where I work) - and once again NOTHING!

What's with this false advertising!? Do I need some kind of software upgrade for my vehicle? Has ANYONE gotten Apple CarPlay to work in the Benz? If so please let me know!

Thx
Steve
Can you post a link to the MB website where it shows its a feature on the C Class?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by shloomz
Hey All-

Thx
Steve
Sorry to say, but it is not on the C class yet. And the 2015 C class may or may not ever get it. It is currently available via the iOS software but the car manufacturer has to also support it.

It is a feature many on this form, including myself, really really want so I hope Mercedes makes it available on this model your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay in C-Class