C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How harsh is your sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
How harsh is your sport suspension?

I find suspension discussions to be generally quite confusing. Everyone seems to have an opinion, and they rarely agree.

There are three steel suspension choices on our cars, and the Airmatic. Those who own Airmatic love it, even though reviewers are decidely split about its value. The Comfort suspension offered with the Luxury incarnation of the W205 gets few reviews, but seems perfectly competent. The base, which I have, is also a good solid choice, especially with the 18" tires. None of the steel suspensions have what I'd call a "cushy" ride ... I think they're all firm with good handling characteristics.

There were recently some comments posted about the harshness of the sport suspension, and how unhappy the owner was with this choice. His suggestion was to never opt for the Sport Package unless you also added Airmatic to the equation. Without getting into the pros or cons of Airmatic, and keeping the discussion to the Sport Package itself, I'm very curious to see what the general reaction has been to the ride comfort of the standard sport suspension with the stock 18" tires.

The reviews I've read generally give the sport suspension good marks for ride comfort and handling, but I have read several negative remarks about that setup with the 19's being too stiff.

So, do you find your sport suspension comfortable in most situations? Are you sorry you didn't get Airmatic or the standard suspension for a better ride? Given that all of the available steel setups can feel harsh over rough roads and broken pavement .... thank you run flat tires ... does the sport suspension go too far in compromising ride comfort?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
There are only two steel setups that I know of, the standard luxury and the sport, what is the third?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here we have standard, comfort tuned, and sport.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Ok, well I have driven my fair share of 205.s and regarding the sport chassis versions I feel that the steel and airmatic sport versions are very close.
I often find myself changing to comfort when driving in urban enviroments as the ride can get pretty rough, then again I am pretty used to this as my former cars always were lowered with fairly large wheels.

However the airmatic Comfort is not equal to the steel standard suspension, the airmatic Comfort is as you say a much more "cushy" ride.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C36 AMG 6spd; V8 M3
I have the sport suspension and it's rather firm, although I do like how responsive it is. I can definitely see how it would seem a bit harsh to those that value comfortable ride quality.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
In short answer, in my perspective, too harsh for roads here, and what I'd use the car for.

Long answer, while my car being built and was delayed, I talked a dealer into a loaner with each to drive for a couple days a piece in each of the 3 steel suspensions, I only had limited time testing airmatic. The Lux had 17" and the other 2 18". I wouldn't put much into what magazines have written, or what you read here honestly...that just shows people like different things. Don't let the fact air suspension & luxury suspension cars aren't getting to dealers much allow you to miss that experience. Make the trek to try one, unless you really don't have a preference in suspensions. Dealers will try and talk you out of airmatic, and into what they have to sell most readily.

Standard suspension sat right in the middle between the other 2 steel suspensions. Sport was tighter and you got more bumps in exchange for tighter road feel, luxury gave about the same percentage more forgiveness and isolation from road towards the smooth side from standard. None of these are night and day, it's not anything like going from a Testarossa to a Rolls Royce. The airmatic 'mimicked' the 3 different steel suspended cars very closely between the selectable agility settings, but in all 3, airmatic always comes out a little bit more isolated, smooth and quiet in all three.

For the roads here with expansion joints, patches in concrete with asphalt, etc, I can't comprehend the sport suspension unless you just like feeling most every little bump in the road for a more connected feel. On 19" for a short test drive the sport suspension we felt like it was only meant to play on smoother roads than we have here in the states.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
I just got a sport with 18inch wheels. SUspension is a bit more harsh than my 06 BMW 325 but I like it.

It is noisier than than the BMW over rough pavement on the expressway though.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
If you just limit your self to c class suspension, you won't know what else is out there. We have tested many cars before deciding on the C300. I would not say C300 has the Goldieluck suspension where it has sports and very good comfort. Rather it limits itself as soon as you hit the first limit of amplitude base damping (for steel.) While we were shopping, there were other cars with better and still sporty cars. It's good enough for this segment. If you want better suspension, I would move up a class.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:37 PM

2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 W205
I've driven both the C300 standard but I own the sport. The standard C300 is way more comfortable over bumpy roads, and every day situations compared to the sport (even with 18's), whether it's handling dynamics are that much worse I'm not sure since it was a test drive with a salesman and I didn't get to push it. Hitting a pot hole in the Sport trims though is a cringing moment every time whereas in the standard I drove on them on purpose and hardly felt them.

I can't complain about it being uncomfortable because I've driven lowered Mazdas in the past but given it's performance in terms of driving dynamics it's certainly not the best trim to go with unless you're really into the trim's look. I once had a standard F30 328 loaner for a couple of days and that would not only out-handle the Sport C300 but was almost as comfortable as the C300 standard trim, it was like the perfect balance.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
I've got the sport with 19s.
I had a mate drive it yesterday who drives a Golf GTi and he remarked on how more compliant my suspension was to his! Personally I think it's "bearable" on Sydney's roads (which are bumpy as all hell) and the car feels very planted.

Again if it's too harsh there's always the lowered comfort steel suspension. Looks just as good and is slightly more compliant again.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Most people just want the sport appearance instead of the sport suspension. If only it was that easy to have standard suspension with the amg treatment for bumpers
Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Most people just want the sport appearance instead of the sport suspension. If only it was that easy to have standard suspension with the amg treatment for bumpers
That's an option. Order the AMG line and ask for lowered comfort suspension.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jkyriakou
That's an option. Order the AMG line and ask for lowered comfort suspension.
I have not seen that listed as a US option. The only way to get the AMG interior and exterior features is as a complete Sport Package which includes the Sport suspension. Here, if you like the AMG style, you must take the Sport suspension.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
Sport suspension here and I've been riding on 18in wheels and winter tires (non-runflats). I would say that the ride is harsher than I had expected, but I am also driving on the pothole-ridden, crappiest-on-earth tarmac that is the Boston area (seriously, what is wrong with this place?).

I ordered the car with 19in wheels and summer tires but have never driven with them on. I imagine that it will be even harsher once I change to them in the Spring.

That all being said, I'm pretty used to harsh suspensions. I just thought it would be softer than it is.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:36 AM

S205
Originally Posted by StanNH
Here we have standard, comfort tuned, and sport.
As i have said here before, i highly doubt that the Luxury have its own comfort suspension. I am quite sure that Luxury and Non-Sport models shares the exact same dampers and springs.

Someone with access to the OEM parts programme can check it.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eilers
As i have said here before, i highly doubt that the Luxury have its own comfort suspension. I am quite sure that Luxury and Non-Sport models shares the exact same dampers and springs.

The Aussie configurator lists the 3 suspensions.

Steel - Normal comfort
Steel - lowered comfort
Steel - lowered sports

Lowered sports normally comes with the AMG line but you can opt for the others if you want.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Just look at the SA codes in your datacard.

485 Comfort running gear

486 Sports suspension

482 Chassis for higher ground clearence

488 Chassis steel/air suspension

489 Airmatic

677 Avantgarde standard suspension
Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 AM

W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
Vic , any idea what 481 is ? Is it related to chassis / suspension ?

Thanks
Amo
Old 02-15-2015, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by oachim
Vic , any idea what 481 is ? Is it related to chassis / suspension ?

Thanks
Amo

481 Undershield protection
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM

W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
In certain markets ( eg Europe ) you can order amg exterior with 677 lowered comfort suspension (-15mm).

Option 677 is not restricted to avantgarde line despite its description ... On few models ( eg c220 blueefficiency ) it is the only suspension you can get independently of the exterior line you choose

However, option 677 cannot be fitted on all models - some limitations on 4 matic cars seem to apply ...

Of course technical people can provide more information, these thoughts being just my conclusions after checking multiple documents and configurators in Europe.

Amo
Old 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM

S205
"482 Chassis for higher ground clearence" is this an option for Europe/US?

It sounds more like an option for regions like India Brazil or Russia. Cars there are often raised.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 4Matic
I have sport suspension with 19" summers (Miami) and I don't find it harsh at all. I find it falls in the middle when compared to BMW Msport set up being the harshest and Lexus IS Fsport being the softest.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM

2015 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by Eilers

Definitely not true. My Luxury suspension sits significantly higher than a standard model, which immediately tells you it uses different springs.

The rest of the components not sure about.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by Jinzen
Definitely not true. My Luxury suspension sits significantly higher than a standard model, which immediately tells you it uses different springs.

And the brochure lists "comfort-tuned suspension" under the Luxury Package options.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by Jinzen

Height is not always equal to comfort, the W205 platform alone has 32 different front springs.

Ride quality is primarilly determined by the struts, dampers and anti roll bar systems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How harsh is your sport suspension?