C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

My C300 gripes: bleeding seats, faulty keyless, steering clunking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
My C300 gripes: bleeding seats, faulty keyless, steering clunking

My C300 is three weeks old and I'm already weighing my options of exiting the lease. The car is in for service for the bleeding seat issue (front and rear), a keyless entry system that works half the time, a front end clunking that occurs when making left turns, and misaligned body panels (rear bumper, drivers side door).

My other complaints are unrelated to manufacturer faults. To me the Burmeister sound system lacks depth. I've tried different settings and nothing comes close to the quality and dimension of sound my ML's Harmon Kardon system has. It's pretty disappointing personally, especially when it's a highly touted feature. Also, the transmission's lack of smoothness has me scratching my head. In all settings there is a noticeable pause between gear shifts. Like you can physically perceive the transmission slowly going through it's paces. It's the first time I've ever experienced that in an auto trans, and it's far from the feel and performance I expect from a luxury brand. Lastly, the Sport ride quality is rough at best. This is something I noticed when test driving and decided I'd get used to it, but three weeks in and I'm beginning to regret my oversight. It's embarrassing to be cruising down the road and seeing my passenger's head bouncing and jolting about over every rut and man hole cover we pass.

Because it's a lease and I only put down my first payment, taxes, and fees, I fear that I have a terrible case of negative equity, but it's a crappy feeling having a new car and being so disappointed with it.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:04 PM

2023 AMG E53
With respect to the Burmester, I was initially disappointed with it, as I came from an E350 with the Harmon Kardon. However, it turned out that the equalizer settings were all messed up. I went a good month hating it. However, after adjusting the fade and surround as well as craning up the treble and bass, I find the Burmester fantastic. The sound is very, very bright, and the bass incredible. It never distorts, and I do think it's an exceptional sound system.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:07 PM

2023 AMG E53
With respect to the Burmester, I was initially disappointed with it, as I came from an E350 with the Harmon Kardon. However, it turned out that the equalizer settings were all messed up. I went a good month hating it. However, after adjusting the fade and surround as well as cranking up the treble and bass, I find the Burmester fantastic. The sound is very, very bright, and the bass incredible. It never distorts, and I do think it's an exceptional sound system. One thing to nite is that even if yiu have surround turned off, the sound concentration setting is still in effect. I had surround off, but the system was concentrated toward the rear part of the cabin. Once I corrected that, I was and continue to be pleased.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Yes, the Burmester does require time to adjust, but it can sound really impressive, once adjusted, especially with a decent CD in it. Make sure auto volume is off, as it can really mess up the sound quality.

Panel fit and seat issues are well documented and most dealers know how to deal with the repairs.

I have no idea about the steering clunk .... haven't heard of that before.

There is a software update for the transmission, so have your dealer check on that.

Keyless can get weird. The batteries should be replaced as a first step. Also, there can be interference from a smartphone if it's too close to the fob. Other than that, not much you can do other than wait for a firmware update.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by StanNH
Stan, didn't you address some steering noise in another thread that was related to low profile tires. But I think that was a grinding noise and not a clunk!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Stan, didn't you address some steering noise in another thread that was related to low profile tires. But I think that was a grinding noise and not a clunk!
Yes, the grinding noise some people thought was a defect when, in fact, it was only the sound of the low profile tires "stuttering" at low speed. If that's what the OP is experiencing, it's completely normal and has nothing to do with the car.

But, if it's a "clunking' noise, that's something new and I have no idea what it could be.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 AM

2015 C300, 2008 C300(sold)
Last night my keyless wouldn't work. I had the key in the same pocket as a pack of gum. I took out the gum and pressed lock then unlock, and it worked the car started. My Ford Edge never had this problem I always kept the key next to gum pack or cell phone. Not 1 time did it ever not start right up.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 AM

ML
The clunking is coming from the front end and only when turning left when the front suspension is under load. I suspect a sway bar or some suspension linkage is loose.

The keyless entry is very frustrating. I just traded in a '13 ML350 on which the keyless entry worked 100% of the time regardless of where the fob was. The C300 keyless entry works half the time with no rhyme or reason why.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by bdwg22
Last night my keyless wouldn't work. I had the key in the same pocket as a pack of gum. I took out the gum and pressed lock then unlock, and it worked the car started. My Ford Edge never had this problem I always kept the key next to gum pack or cell phone. Not 1 time did it ever not start right up.
It really does not matter what is next to the fob, IMO. I started a thread here ( https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-go-issue.html ) about the problem and have had it happen a few more times since starting the thread.

Every time it failed, I was able to press the unlock button on the fob and the car unlocked. Also, the car then recognized the fob and I was able to start the car with the fob in my pocket.

Some others are reporting they have had to remove the push button and insert their keys into the switch to get the car to start (StanNH is one I believe). Not sure if this indicates 2 different problems?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I have the exact same clunking sound issue. It happens if I turn right or left, and is very noticeable when I'm traveling at low speeds.

I thought I was crazy at first or that it would go away but I've had the car for 2 months now and I still hear it. I'm bringing my car in tomorrow for service.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:59 AM

W205 C250 AMG SportPlus
I've had the same issue, i thought it was because the battery was low, and as it charges while the key is in the ignition it made sense to me as the key has been out of the ignition since the day i bought it

I have since used the key for 24hrs, then gone back to keyless and it's fine
Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AlexHamer
I've had the same issue, i thought it was because the battery was low, and as it charges while the key is in the ignition it made sense to me as the key has been out of the ignition since the day i bought it

I have since used the key for 24hrs, then gone back to keyless and it's fine
How does the fob charge in the ignition? The CR2025 is not a rechargeable battery.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
How does the fob charge in the ignition? The CR2025 is not a rechargeable battery.
Plus there is no way the ignition has live current.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 AM

W205 C250 AMG SportPlus
Originally Posted by cidtek
Plus there is no way the ignition has live current.
I had a BMW before my last Merc, they told me the remote key fob was charged by the ignition, i assumed it was the same in Mercs
Old 02-17-2015, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by AlexHamer
I had a BMW before my last Merc, they told me the remote key fob was charged by the ignition, i assumed it was the same in Mercs
Normal BMW keys are recharged in the slot. Keyless GO type keys for BMW have their own batteries. It makes sense, think about it, how else are they going to be powered when they're never put into anything that can charge them.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:14 PM

ML
Update: The front end clunking was found to be a faulty front left axle which is being replaced. The dealer is opening a case with MBUSA for the brake squeal which I had noticed at low speed, and the seat repair kit is currently on a 1-2 month backorder. No word yet on the keyless entry issue.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
Originally Posted by protein
Update: The front end clunking was found to be a faulty front left axle which is being replaced. The dealer is opening a case with MBUSA for the brake squeal which I had noticed at low speed, and the seat repair kit is currently on a 1-2 month backorder. No word yet on the keyless entry issue.

Could you describe what the clunking sounded like? Was it encountered on all turns regardless of speed?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM

ML
It was a single clunk I heard and felt through the pedals right off dead center at low speeds.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM

ML
Update: The dealer replaced the front left axle and fixed the body panel alignment issue and was unable to recreate the keyless entry issue. The seat repair kit is on backorder for 1-2 months so I was told they would call me to bring the car back in when the kit came in. I was disappointed but took the car home.

Within minutes of driving the car I could tell that the steering clunk was still there, but beyond that it was clear that the seat bleeding had become worse than ever. Once the car warmed up there was so much residue on the front and rear seats that I could wipe it with my fingers and my fingers became wet.

I called up the service dept and informed them of the clunk and the worsening seats. I told them that keeping the car for 1-2 months while waiting for the repair kit was unacceptable and another solution was needed quickly. I was given an appt to bring the car back and meet with them on Tuesday morning.

Has anyone else been told of this backorder delay? The idea that a customer should be driving a brand new car around for 2 months in this condition is absolutely ridiculous. My patience for this car and Mercedes has really taken a hit here.

Last edited by protein; 02-22-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
So sad to hear that a brand new Mercedes is having quality issues like these. I won't be buying a US built Benz anytime soon.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Has anyone else been told of this backorder delay? The idea that a customer should be driving a brand new car around for 2 months in this condition is absolutely ridiculous. My patience for this car and Mercedes has really taken a hit here.
I also did not want to drive my car for a long time while I was waiting for the seat repair parts, so I got a loaner. At first they said they did not offer long term loaners but they eventually gave me one.

I got MBUSA involved and I think that helped on two fronts: I believe they are the ones who got my dealer to offer a long term loaner, and I also think they helped to expedite the replacement parts (the car was actually fixed 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule).
Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM

ML
Originally Posted by richardamp
I also did not want to drive my car for a long time while I was waiting for the seat repair parts, so I got a loaner. At first they said they did not offer long term loaners but they eventually gave me one.

I got MBUSA involved and I think that helped on two fronts: I believe they are the ones who got my dealer to offer a long term loaner, and I also think they helped to expedite the replacement parts (the car was actually fixed 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule).
Thanks for the info. Silly question but how did you go about involving MBUSA? Through the dealer or through your own contact?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Yes, the Burmester does require time to adjust, but it can sound really impressive, once adjusted, especially with a decent CD in it. Make sure auto volume is off, as it can really mess up the sound quality.

Panel fit and seat issues are well documented and most dealers know how to deal with the repairs.

There is a software update for the transmission, so have your dealer check on that.

Keyless can get weird. The batteries should be replaced as a first step. Also, there can be interference from a smartphone if it's too close to the fob. Other than that, not much you can do other than wait for a firmware update.
Stan, do dealers automatically check for software updates when the vehicle is taken in for servicing? Or should I ask them to check for an update to the transmission?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jchungster
Stan, do dealers automatically check for software updates when the vehicle is taken in for servicing? Or should I ask them to check for an update to the transmission?
They are supposed to check whenever the car is in for service. It's not a bad idea to always ask them to check for updates though.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Thanks for the info. Silly question but how did you go about involving MBUSA? Through the dealer or through your own contact?
I just submitted a complaint through the MBUSA website and they contacted me a day or two later and assigned a case worker for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C300 gripes: bleeding seats, faulty keyless, steering clunking