C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

C300 eye surgery and transplant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by ShortDesertGuy
I agree, how presumptious of me to think you could even consider selling.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4860969836.html
Brand new, AMG sport package, 19" AMG wheels, 4 wheels drive (4Matic), powered seats, navigation, and a lot more. Only 450 miles. Serious buyer only.

Very presumptuous and rude. I don't have to explain to you, but the only reason I considered selling was because it doesn't have led. But that's really not your business, is it? What is your problem? Why did my changing the lights bother you? Too much time on your hands and decide to **** people off for fun? Or is it just your nature?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by huyuci
believe it or not, can be done with with regulating the current. Exactly how, I don't know.
Sorry, have to totally disagree with you there. Drive a LED with too many amps and it's dead. You can marginally affect the color temp of a LED by increasing voltage, but you won't get a white emitter turning blue (i.e. emitting in the 500 nanometer wavelength) and then back to white. If you've changed the output of the LED to such an extent then you've destroyed part of the phosphor balance inside the led and that damage will be permanent - closely followed by diode failure.

The blue arc "welcome' feature in the DRL is done with a blue LED in the base of the light guide. Here's a good description:
http://www.al-lighting.com/press/sin...0738c80087a183

The blue led you found could well be that diode.

I'm not sure how much work you've done in the past with high powered LED systems, so don't take my advice the wrong way, but If you've wired those array chips into a pure 12V supply without any PWM and current limiting circuitry then it won't take long before something overheats and blows up. Drive current and thermal management on high output chips like that is a tricky business. Vehicle systems are notorious for unregulated circuits; your best hope is that whatever you've wired into is a balanced power circuit but the only way you're going to know that for sure is if you have a logging multimeter and tested it. You're much safer to integrate your own stable DC power supply.

Anyway, I admire your ingenuity and wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how things behave over time. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask - I'm more than happy to pass on any knowledge I've picked up over the many years that I've been building DRL and lighting systems.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Yeesh ... Thread just got bad
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 AM

c300
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Sorry, have to totally disagree with you there. Drive a LED with too many amps and it's dead. You can marginally affect the color temp of a LED by increasing voltage, but you won't get a white emitter turning blue (i.e. emitting in the 500 nanometer wavelength) and then back to white. If you've changed the output of the LED to such an extent then you've destroyed part of the phosphor balance inside the led and that damage will be permanent - closely followed by diode failure.

The blue arc "welcome' feature in the DRL is done with a blue LED in the base of the light guide. Here's a good description:
http://www.al-lighting.com/press/sin...0738c80087a183

The blue led you found could well be that diode.

I'm not sure how much work you've done in the past with high powered LED systems, so don't take my advice the wrong way, but If you've wired those array chips into a pure 12V supply without any PWM and current limiting circuitry then it won't take long before something overheats and blows up. Drive current and thermal management on high output chips like that is a tricky business. Vehicle systems are notorious for unregulated circuits; your best hope is that whatever you've wired into is a balanced power circuit but the only way you're going to know that for sure is if you have a logging multimeter and tested it. You're much safer to integrate your own stable DC power supply.

Anyway, I admire your ingenuity and wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how things behave over time. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask - I'm more than happy to pass on any knowledge I've picked up over the many years that I've been building DRL and lighting systems.

thanks for the advice. It was just my guess based on my observation. I am anything but an expert on LED :-) btw, when you said the led would blow up, you don't mean like exploding, do you? that would be a safety issue
Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Shouldn't the PWM be built into the LED module itself? It would be odd if not otherwise. Second, I don't think the diode voltage is exactly 12V supply. Normally, it should be lower.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Yeesh ... Thread just got bad
No it hasn't.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:13 PM

W205 C250BT
btw, when you said the led would blow up, you don't mean like exploding, do you? that would be a safety issue
No.. just figuratively speaking. If its spectacular you might hear a pop and see a puff of smoke . They do get extremely hot though - never underestimate the ability for a high powered diode to set something on fire.

Originally Posted by solarflare
Shouldn't the PWM be built into the LED module itself? It would be odd if not otherwise.
Depends how you define the LED module. A PWM can sit anywhere but it would make sense to design things in such a way that a module would contain associated electronics (e.g. PWM, amperage and voltage regulation, heat monitoring etc) so it can be replaced in one easy go rather than have to troubleshoot separate parts.

Originally Posted by solarflare
Second, I don't think the diode voltage is exactly 12V supply. Normally, it should be lower.
Yes, diode voltage would very rarely be exactly 12V. You need to know the specs of the LED you're using. High powered chips like that are built up by using arrays. The voltage required to drive them depends on that configuration and this can be anything from <3V to >34V.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM

c300
And the work continues...The tail lights seem to be much easier to work with. It's just a matter to redirect the pins since the connectors are different.

Last edited by huyuci; 02-22-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Huyuci,
If you still have one of the lights out, can you take a good picture of where the bumper and the fender meet near the trunk? The place where the dealers have to adjust to fix the light/bumper alignment issues. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM

c300
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
Huyuci,
If you still have one of the lights out, can you take a good picture of where the bumper and the fender meet near the trunk? The place where the dealers have to adjust to fix the light/bumper alignment issues. Thanks!

you mean taking a pic with the light housing out? ahh...I just put them back in :-( sorry. But from what I saw, it's all metal and part of the car body. Nothing they can adjust. What I'm guessing is they're removing the lights and repositioning them a bit. I think that's all they can do. Personally, I don't mind, as nobody is gonna come that close to inspect it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 PM

c300

Mission accomplished :-)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM

W205 C250BT
Well done. A nice bonus in doing any of this type of work is that you learn a lot in terms of how the cars are assembled.

Last edited by DBOC205; 02-23-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Nice job. Well done mate.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Huyuci,

I like the look of the different tail lights; you should kept that and freak the crap out of everyone behind you. Good work my man...
Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 AM

C3004matic, BMW 328d xdrive
And the work continues...The tail lights seem to be much easier to work with. It's just a matter to redirect the pins since the connectors are different.
Do you know the features and colors of the cable in the new connectors. What color what function? Number must be different for the right and left sides.?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

c300
Originally Posted by miketc
Huyuci,

I like the look of the different tail lights; you should kept that and freak the crap out of everyone behind you. Good work my man...
That's hilarious. Cops might pull me over to tell me that "Do you know one of your tail lights is out?", and I'll be like "Which one?"
Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

c300
Originally Posted by emilryba
Do you know the features and colors of the cable in the new connectors. What color what function? Number must be different for the right and left sides.?
Well, the plug on the LED tai lights has a different shape from the non-led connector. The number of pins is also different. And there's no reference anywhere online I could find. So, I had to follow this painstaking process called trial and error :-) to find out which pin is which on both the connector and the plug.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly did you do to the taillights? Can you show me some before and after photos?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:01 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly did you do to the taillights? Can you show me some before and after photos?
Oh, I didn't have the premium pk, so the tail lights just have the curve line as you can see on the left light, as opposed to the double U-like shape on the right
Old 02-23-2015, 02:20 PM

Oh, I didn't have the premium pk, so the tail lights just have the curve line as you can see on the left light, as opposed to the double U-like shape on the right
Gotcha! Funny thing though...I kinda like the look of the poverty spec tails, they mimic the DRL.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Gotcha! Funny thing though...I kinda like the look of the poverty spec tails, they mimic the DRL.
The problem is if you don't have premium pk, you won't have that arc DRL But it's good for you, though. If you have it and you like it, then you won't have to go thru too much trouble like I do to change it :-)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:33 PM

The problem is if you don't have premium pk, you won't have that arc DRL But it's good for you, though. If you have it and you like it, then you won't have to go thru too much trouble like I do to change it :-)
I've got the premium pkg and the advanced lighting pkg and although I like the taillight arc that you originally had I also don't have the desire to mess with my lights to make them look like yours used to. Nice job on the upgrades though.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 AM

C300
Upgrade Headlight

Hello huyuci, I also made the same mistake.

I just bought a CPO c300 that comes without the lighting package.

Can you help me to upgrade it?

What things should I buy? I really don't understand.

Thank you.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM

c300
Originally Posted by cevint
Hello huyuci, I also made the same mistake.

I just bought a CPO c300 that comes without the lighting package.

Can you help me to upgrade it?

What things should I buy? I really don't understand.

Thank you.
Man, I can't tell you how many people have emailed me asking for direction on how to do this. I really want to help you guys, I do. But as much as I want to, the truth of the matter is that it's not as easy as buying the correct lights and then install them as many of you were asking me. There's so much work involved that if I lay it out everything in details, I can bet that most of you will just move on. And then if some of you don't do it right or something happens to the car, then you'll come back and blame me. Even some LED experts here on this board said I was daring, and it was indeed. It's not for the faint of heart.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Infamous C450
Kudos man, looks great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 eye surgery and transplant