C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by chicago-guy
What's your build date? Anything earlier than 5/2015 is apparently suspect for the wrist pin thing. BTW, when you say "rarely at idle or low rpm's" do you mean the sound occurs occasionally, or do you mean it occurs most often at high rpms and less often at low rpms/idle? Also, is the engine cold or warm when you hear it, or makes no difference?

The techs at any MB dealership service garage should be very familiar with this issue by now, and I see no reason to doubt what yours says, but if your engine build is pre-5/2015 and you hear the rattle when the engine is cold somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 RPM at idle and low speed, you may want to get a second opinion if another dealer is within range.

Or, of course, path of least resistance is to ask your tech to identify what IS causing the noise you are hearing, if you can get it to occur with him in the car
Build date was pre 5/15... which is why im paranoid. I don't hear any sound at all at high rpms, at low rpms on occasions, i can hear a slight rattling noise but i really have to try and hear to it notice anything. maybe i need to have a 2nd dealership take a look... i will speak with the tech directly next week when i drop my car off to get the window noise fixed.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
You need to drop your car off the night before so the tech can hear the engine when it is cold. After a minute or two the wrist pin ticking issue is no longer present.
it was dropped off in the morning and they let it sit till 130 before starting it up to try and hear the noise. they were familiar with it and knew what to do. only thing was it sat in the garage which isnt exactly cold... but better than nothing i guess.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
MBWorld comes through

Originally Posted by chicago-guy
Realized I never wrapped this up, FWIW. Car was back in record time, like 5 days . Tech put 150 miles on it (with my permission of course) to make sure all was well. Lonnnnng list of parts replaced. End result: the rattle is gone, and the engine sounds a bit gruffer than it did, which doesn't bother me actually, and performance seems a bit better, both in terms of acceleration and possibly even a tiny bit in mpg. (I could be imagining both of these -- i didn't benchmark mpg before the operation unfortunately, and the transmission control unit may simply finally be realizing that I prefer not to dawdle away from a light regardless of what driving mode I'm in and adjusting accordingly.) Regardless, happy to have caught the problem early thanks to earlier posts in this and similar threads.
A happy ending for the owner like this would not have happen before the Internet and these forums existed.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by gfmohn
A happy ending for the owner like this would not have happen before the Internet and these forums existed.
Agree!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Hi All, I've been a lurker for a little while now but just recently registered. I have a 2015 C300 and it has the wrist pin issue. Its been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. They stated that Mercedes is just replacing the whole engine vs. rebuilding the existing one. Is that better for me? The car has just over 28,000 miles on it. They are hoping to have the vehicle back to me sometime tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM

2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by rbizzle05
Hi All, I've been a lurker for a little while now but just recently registered. I have a 2015 C300 and it has the wrist pin issue. Its been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. They stated that Mercedes is just replacing the whole engine vs. rebuilding the existing one. Is that better for me? The car has just over 28,000 miles on it. They are hoping to have the vehicle back to me sometime tomorrow.
I would say yes if it has gotten some cylinder damage or worse, which wouldn't surprise me after 28K miles with the wrong size wrist pins. My wrist pin repair was done at 9K miles, with no cylinder damage, and there was already a list of parts as long as my arm. My guess is you hit the tipping point in terms of the economics of repair vs. replacement. You will also have the benefit of factory balancing, seals, and testing. So my vote is .

I hope they gave you a decent loaner in the meantime?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
They did give me a 2016 C300 almost identical to my car except it has the heated steering wheel (which I regret not having) I asked for the new E-Class as someone had just returned one but apparently it had a airmatic warning on and they couldn't loan it out. Oh well, its better then not having a car at all.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:32 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by seattlec300
it was dropped off in the morning and they let it sit till 130 before starting it up to try and hear the noise. they were familiar with it and knew what to do. only thing was it sat in the garage which isnt exactly cold... but better than nothing i guess.
welp, took it in again. this time to ask for acoustic glass and upgraded seals... but that's a whole different story. asked them to take a look one last time for wrist pin and they confirmed that I do have the issue.
they ordered parts and will be replacing pistons, seals, etc.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
So happy that my first post on mbworld is to say that not only have a joined the club, but also the bad wrist pin club within the first few weeks of owning my 15 C300 build date 02/15 almost 25k miles on it purchased used, not cpo.

Luckily I escaped the bad mbtex but unfortunately not much else. Handed what I believe to be an excellent dealer a list of 14 things I wanted addressed and got a call a day and a half later that they hit every point and ordered all parts (wind noise, noisy pano roof and door seals, rattling Burmester speakers, led handle light out, isofix covers broken, trim around cup holder peeling, and of course the engine rattle) in addition to peforming an alignment, state inspection and making a second key.

I can't wait to see what I end up with. I was told 7-10 days to get it all done and have a W204 loaner. Still extremely happy with the W205 and what it offers compared to everything else out there. I do about 40k miles per year split between two cars so I will be piling some miles on. I'll update here with my results after getting it back.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 2015
from Canada?

I am in Canada and I noticed the noise in the beginning of winter. I thought it must be normal because engine is cold. but now after reading this thread, I think I need to bring my car to the dealer. It is the ticking noise and it goes away when I accelerate. you can hear it when car is cold, idle or decelerating.

what do guys think?

Anyone else in Canada with the same issue?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Mercedes-C300
I am in Canada and I noticed the noise in the beginning of winter. I thought it must be normal because engine is cold. but now after reading this thread, I think I need to bring my car to the dealer. It is the ticking noise and it goes away when I accelerate. you can hear it when car is cold, idle or decelerating.

what do guys think?

Anyone else in Canada with the same issue?
In Canada and it's currently -15 or so with windchill, I've begin to notice a whining type of sound from the engine. I've never had a turbo or 4cyl before, so not sure what's out of the norm. It's faint and I usually have music playing, so I didn't realize it before but I'm noticing it more now. It's a 2016 C300 4MATIC.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by JBMCL
In Canada and it's currently -15 or so with windchill, I've begin to notice a whining type of sound from the engine. I've never had a turbo or 4cyl before, so not sure what's out of the norm. It's faint and I usually have music playing, so I didn't realize it before but I'm noticing it more now. It's a 2016 C300 4MATIC.
the issue in this thread is a ticking or knocking noise from the pistons due to poor quality control.

Id suggest not looking for noises because it will become obsessive and sully your car experience.
The following users liked this post:
JBMCL (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
When was your car built and where was it built? Look at sticker on B pillar.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Got mine back today after 12 days. Apparently the engine repair was done after 8 days but they identified another issue and had to wait for more parts (blower motor making noise-replaced).

I didn't notice much difference after putting about 80 miles on it this afternoon and this evening. I am curious how it starts up cold tomorrow morning. Additionally did anyone get any advice from their dealer about break in? It seems they drove it about 150 miles. I tried to keep the revs varied and with some in gear acceleration and deceleration loading up the cylinders with some paddle shifts. Trying to keep it under 4k revs like its a new car. Curious to hear thoughts and advice.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes benz c300 2015
My car already had the wrist pin issue fixed before I owned the car but I still can hear a rattle/ ticking noise only when Im Acceleating in lower gears and speeds less than 25. The ticking sound has the same characteristic of a diesel engin noise, if that make any sense. I went to mercedes and they claim its just the Characteristics sound of the engine. Also they sàid maybe it's the fuel injectors making that sound. Funny thing is, none of their loaner c300 share this "sound characteristics".

Any one who had their wrist pin issue fixed, does the rattle/ticking go away completely or just subsides a little.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
My C300 has the ticking sound exactly as you describe after the wrist pin repair. I haven't been back to the dealer since the repair to ask about it. The clattering on cold start is gone though.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:49 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Mplayers2006

Any one who had their wrist pin issue fixed, does the rattle/ticking go away completely or just subsides a little.
Mine was just fixed and yes the direct injection tick/diesel sound is still there and I believe is just a characteristic of a small direct injected turbo engine (this isn't my first). What isn't there is the horrible rattling at light acceleration/deceleration between 1500-2000rpms or cold start up rattle that sounds similar.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM

2015 C300 RWD
I now have about 300 miles since the rebuild and honestly the only big difference I've noticed is the lack of the rattle. The engine does feel a bit tight (as it should with new pistons and rings) and I have been taking it somewhat easy (no full throttle or redline but 3/4 throttle up to 4500 rpm and >90 on the highway).

As far as fuel economy its doing just fine. Pretty much the same as before as you can see from my drive home this afternoon. I know some members said they experienced a drop, but none seen here.
Attached Thumbnails new C300 with Engine noise-img_6073.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
yeah the loaner they gave me for this repair, 2017 standard, has no chattering/clacking sounds; and i own a 2012 e350 diesel. I would not characterize any bit of the engines sounds as diesel like. Not the wrist pin issue or the normal engine sounds.

the 2017 im driving does not have a wrist pin issue, but it does have the typical large psi turbo + DI sound. THATS what the 205 2 liter has in common with a diesel, is the 26+ psi turbo and direct injection. The diesel-y ness of an engine is a completely different frequency. Of which i even sometimes enjoy to hear when driving my v6 diesel... Thats what made it so much more obvious that the clattering sounds were bad

I took your guys' advice and took it to the dealership. Politely pointed out the areas im "notiving sounds from" and they ""FOUND"" the problem. Thank fully.

Although im fairly concerned; they told me they would have it done within 2 days... Rush job much?
Old 12-24-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Trancebolt
yeah the loaner they gave me for this repair, 2017 standard, has no chattering/clacking sounds; and i own a 2012 e350 diesel. I would not characterize any bit of the engines sounds as diesel like. Not the wrist pin issue or the normal engine sounds.

the 2017 im driving does not have a wrist pin issue, but it does have the typical large psi turbo + DI sound. THATS what the 205 2 liter has in common with a diesel, is the 26+ psi turbo and direct injection. The diesel-y ness of an engine is a completely different frequency. Of which i even sometimes enjoy to hear when driving my v6 diesel... Thats what made it so much more obvious that the clattering sounds were bad

I took your guys' advice and took it to the dealership. Politely pointed out the areas im "notiving sounds from" and they ""FOUND"" the problem. Thank fully.

Although im fairly concerned; they told me they would have it done within 2 days... Rush job much?
What did they say the problem was on your 2017 car?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:20 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Finally got my car back and looks like the wrist pin sound is gone. It sounds pretty similar to the 2017 c300 that I drove as loaner with the loud fuel injectors.

I took my car in with over a half tank and got it back on empty. They said that they needed to test drive the car to make sure the wrist pin issue has been resolved and also the wind noise was gone with the acoustic glass.

Is it normal that they wouldn't put the gas back up to the level it started at?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Finally got my car back and looks like the wrist pin sound is gone. It sounds pretty similar to the 2017 c300 that I drove as loaner with the loud fuel injectors.

I took my car in with over a half tank and got it back on empty. They said that they needed to test drive the car to make sure the wrist pin issue has been resolved and also the wind noise was gone with the acoustic glass.

Depends on the dealer but I'd ask them politely given the inconvenience and issue was not of your making that they return the car in the condition it was taken in, i.e. With the same fuel level.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Depends on the dealer but I'd ask them politely given the inconvenience and issue was not of your making that they return the car in the condition it was taken in, i.e. With the same fuel level.

If you put gas in the loaner I'd ask politely. If you didn't, I'd let it go.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 PM

2015 C300 sport
Glad you got it back, I hope you find the fix is worth the inconvenience as I have.

Along the lines of other responses, if the dealership required that you return the loaner with the exact level of gas you got it with, they should do the same with your car. Pretty sure they did with mine after the wrist pin surgery, after driving it 100-plus miles. My guess is, this was an oversight. In my experience, at least at my dealership, they aim for completely happy customers because they want the future business, and they wouldn't knowingly jeopardize that for $30 worth of gas. Plus that probably gets tacked onto the bill to MB headquarters, which is covering the tab for this glaring flaw fix.

Bottom line: there wouldn't be any harm IMO to contacting the dealership customer reps to explain the situation and ask about their policy on this. If they're smart, they'll invite you to drop by for a free top-off.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Originally Posted by JBMCL
What did they say the problem was on your 2017 car?

mine is 2015; the loaner they gave is 2017. sorry for the unclear paragraph.

THey are rebuilding it now. THankfully they couldnt finish by friday. Was not comfortable with this being done in 2 days. 5 days, thats more like it.... Dont need them rushing... =D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise