C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Do cars built in 2015 have wind noise problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by rex5
just bought brand new C300, March 2015 build. Didn't drive on highway for first few days then when I did I was thinking the car had been built wrong.

Sounds like the windows are wide open when you are at 50 or above. Below 50 not a peep. At 55 to 70 sounds like never ending whooshing. Even the radio does not drown it out. Sounds a lot like a sail of a boat or flag that keeps being battered by the wind.

Dealer says this is normal and there is no fix. It is distracting and makes you feel anxiety and there is no way I could have my family in the car for a road trip for 2 or more hours hearing this loud wind constantly.

I will be returning the car. Cannot fathom how Mercedes could put this on the market with this major problem. I suspect it is something to do with how they are put together in the Alabama factory. The reviewers all drive them in Germany and no one has mentioned this in any review.
Where are you located that you can just "return" the car? Typically buyers remorse is a 24 hour things for contracts on automobiles.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 4Matic 2015
I have an April 2015 build, and there is a clear wind noise above 50-60mph, similar to windows being slightly open. I am not sure how loud is it in absolute terms, but everything else being so quiet - it is hard to miss.
I looked at the car from outside, it looks like the front doors don't really close nicely, especially if you look at the top, close to the rear doors. With completely closed doors I can move them few millimeters easily with a single finger.

Was anyone able to resolve this issue somehow?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 AM

c300
the dealer says Mercedes Benz USA official position on wind noise in the 2015 C class is normal and there will be no fix.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by rex5
the dealer says Mercedes Benz USA official position on wind noise in the 2015 C class is normal and there will be no fix.
All that really means is that the factory has not, at this time, issued an official TSB. They either feel that the complaints, in the field, are not endemic to the car; or they are aware of a potential issue but have not yet developed a workable fix for it.

In either case, this does not mean that "there will be no fix." It means that wind noise complaints will be dealt with as an individual issue and addressed by the dealer. To do this, the dealer must verify that the car does, in fact, have a wind noise problem. A good dealer will always try to keep their customer happy, so they should at least attempt a fix if they can detect wind noise. A few members here have already had their door seals replaced under warranty and noticed a difference.

Since many W205's do not exhibit unusual levels of wind noise, my guess is this relates to assembly variations in the doors or seals. I have personally spent lots of time in three different C300's, and test drove two others. Only one of those cars had any wind noise, and it was not loud. The others were all quiet at highway speeds, with none of the problems being reported here. My current C300 has a very tight driver's door, and if not firmly shut will not fully close. There is not a trace of noise from that door.

No W205 should have a problem like this, but some obviously do. I am surprised that MB hasn't at least issued some guidelines to dealers for diagnosing and fixing wind noise issues. If it's left completely up to the dealers, any solutions will be trial and error with very mixed results. The fact that some dealers are refusing to even acknowledge reported problems, is just bad business.

Last edited by StanNH; 05-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
I have EU C250 AMG ext+int sedan. Build 2/2015 in SA and no Wind noise.

My car was first in dealership from SA so we checked Build quality between my car and a few others w205 made in Bremen and surprisingly my car is better builded!!

Glad that its made in SA.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by StanNH

Since many W205's do not exhibit unusual levels of wind noise, my guess is this relates to assembly variations in the doors or seals. I have personally spent lots of time in three different C300's, and test drove two others. Only one of those cars had any wind noise, and it was not loud. The others were all quiet at highway speeds, with none of the problems being reported here. My current C300 has a very tight driver's door, and if not firmly shut will not fully close. There is not a trace of noise from that door.
I agree that some people aren't as sensitive to the noise and Stan, you're obviously one of those. My car was howling noise very centralized to the front top windows, and had friend in the car say it sounds like 'normal wind' to them, nothing bad. They drive a Chevrolet Malibu and when it was quiet, it has acoustic glass standard, and nearly absent of wind noise just some engine noise. My friend didn't really notice a difference when in their car together. It is at a specific frequency though, on same day and road with 20-25mph winds.

I've been in about a dozen C300/C400, they all had the defect, just to varying degree. I'd be stunned if rode in one without some work in it and it was quiet in some wind, but I believe people who say THEIR ears don't hear it.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by kellens
I agree that some people aren't as sensitive to the noise and Stan, you're obviously one of those. My car was howling noise very centralized to the front top windows, and had friend in the car say it sounds like 'normal wind' to them, nothing bad.

I've been in about a dozen C300/C400, they all had the defect, just to varying degree. I'd be stunned if rode in one without some work in it and it was quiet in some wind, but I believe people who say THEIR ears don't hear it.
Actually, I'm very sensitive to wind noise and have experienced the problem with several cars I've owned. In all past cases, I worked with local body shops to find and fix the sources of the noise. I'm also very aware of wind noise in other cars I'm in ... and it is a common and annoying problem that many drivers seem to just tune out. When I say my C300 exhibits no wind noise, I'm not referring to "normal" wind noise ... I'm saying I can't hear any wind noise unless the car is being hit with heavy crosswinds, at which point there is some low level wind noise. I have so far tested this at speeds of up to 80 mph, but not higher than that.

I had my salesman and service manager check for wind noise before I took the car and they heard none. Neither my wife nor I could hear any when we first drove the car, and that hasn't changed. Comments from passengers have been about how quiet the car is, not about how windy it sounded. As far as I know, all of us have normal hearing and can carry on a conversation in the car without having to raise our voices in the least.

So, while it certainly may be possible to find some wind noise in this particular car if you search hard enough, it would certainly have to be below the level of normal, ambient background noise. There is no apparent wind noise in this car, and nothing that is close to approaching the sound of an open window .. which is how some have described it. The loudest sound in this car is the climate control fan and air circulation through the vents when that system first engages. All else is quiet.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM
AAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Lux 4MATIC
My car is definitely loud in crosswinds and fairly quiet in normal conditions. It is overall much louder comparing to my 2007 c class and much, much louder than a small Renault I had rented in Jan-Feb in France. It doesn't bother me that much, but it is a shame that MB can still make such a basic error in thair design.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 AM

C220 BlueTec AMG Line
2016 C-Class Wind Noise

My 2016 C-Class as at the dealer at the moment. I asked to have the vehicle inspected for the cause of this HORRIBLE wind noise (used to a Q7 and there is a MAMMOTH difference). At 170km/p it sounds like there is an open window somewhere. The noise is NOT very audible at low speed. Only above 130km/h really! I am so disappointed in this car!!!

MB will inspect and may replace the front windows with Double Glazed Acoustic Canceling windows. Hope this will solve the problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
Mid 2015, German Build, noticeable wind noise from 80km/h on wards.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Just something I noticed,
When I dynamated my doors I had to remove the inner skin and glass...
In replacing the glass it is possible to create a gap in the top corner if the glass is not squarely down into its holders in the window winder mechanism.
Some may find improvement in manipulating this.
Removing door cards is easy and to loosed the glass is just 2 t30 bolts.. Just loosening would allot he glass to be pushed back against the door frame runner to create the smallest gap at the top....
Hope that may help some of you...