C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmeister Speaker Rattle/Buzzing - Video Recorded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initially thought it was bad speaker and had rub and buzz issue but the vibration noise but sounds more like high hiss coming from around seat adjust switch when I'm on a phone call. Also can be repro having speech recognition menu play back. I'm actually audio engineer and immediately tired to narrow down the frequency that manifests issue and it is around 225Hz. Took it to AutoNation Mercedes in San Jose for fix and was told Mercedes Germany told the dealership it's normal operation and no fix for this. Uh.. I have several colleague who worked at audio in automotive industry (actually one person designed and tuned Lexus LFA speaker) and was told that's total BS. I'm extremely disappointed in Mercedes.

Last edited by jjazzman; 03-26-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
I've got rattle from my central, dash speaker with some specific frequencies on medium-high volumes. I just isolate the issue to a grill or holder of the speaker, not speker itselve. If I hold it with fingers it stops. I would try to replace it soon. Question for guys that replaced the speaker, how many days it took to replace, can it be done in one day?

Last edited by pavloPL; 03-26-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Hopefully I don't have this issue. However if I do, the first place I will start is with the ambient light strips, using some silicone sealant to try and dampen them. If that doesn't work, I will try to dampen the back of the seat switch controls, maybe with some padded tape or something. Sometimes we need to be resourceful on our own if the dealer can't fix it.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Audio Compression Problem

- According my service REP @ the dealers, who I have know for 10 years plus taking care of my motor... It's to do with Audio Compression - certain Sat channels compression audio in a way that distorts!. Mercedes is aware of this issue in C400...
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I have tried all sorts of music at all sorts of volumes and have yet to hear distortion or vibration.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 PM

C400 4MATIC, AMG Sport Package, Panoramic Sunroof, Airmatic, 19" AMG bi-black rims, Tinted windows
I too have been experiencing this issue in my C400 on the passenger side door. It seems to lessen quite a bit if I push in on the speaker grill. This only work temporarily so I hope mercedes issues a fix before it becomes unbearable.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 PM

I hear buzzing or rattling when I'm on bluetooth and someone is talking but nothing major. I haven't heard it with music.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 AM

c300
bad buzzing on C class Burmeister

I immediately noticed the buzzing drivers side speaker on the ride home of my brand new C300. Most noticeable at low volumes. And it is so upsetting. The sound system is amazing but the speakers can't handle it. They rattle and buzz like a cheap car. I brought i back the dealer and they said they don't notice anything. Amazing and sad. I am done with Mercedes. $53,000 car and they can't make the speakers right. Will make my salesperson come drive with me and listen to it. speakers are likely lower quality or not sealed correctly within the metal grate. Nothing should rattle and buzz like this in a car at low volumes. Even the phone calls that come through buzz and rattle too.

So amazing they tell you that there is no issue. It is a pretty bad issue.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:59 AM

c300
speaker with bad buzzing, loud whooshing wind noise and poor lighting on turns

On top of that the mirrors are causing this loud distracting whooshing noise over speeds of 55 on the highway. Even loud music does not cover it up. Sounds like loud wind in the car. Dealer says there is no way to fix the whooshing since it is due to the mirror design.

Mercedes, please, if these 2 issues are not corrected with real solutions I will be bringing the car back for a refund. I have had the car 1 week and it is painful and frustrating to be in the car. Driving to work is stressful enough, you would hope for a relatively quiet ride and some nice music in a Mercedes Benz without buzzing. This is like a cheap compact car and word is getting out all over the internet.

The LED lights also don't shine at all to the right side and you cannot see anything at all in the pitch dark when you turn into a dark driveway. Almost hit the low concrete wall 2x already. There is zero visibility on turns to the right. This will cause major accidents. The light is fine straight ahead but there is no light as you turn to the right until you are already straight. By that time you may already have hit something. Will someone be looking into this issue, the dealer tells me the lights are working and if I had fog lights it would be better but I don't have fog lights.

Car of the year? maybe you provide your reviewers with perfectly attuned mirrors and stereo speakers and they didn't drive or park at night. The loaner they gave me had the same exact problems. I could have been a lifelong Mercedes driver. You have lost a customer.

Last edited by rex5; 04-18-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rex5
On top of that the mirrors are causing this loud distracting whooshing noise over speeds of 55 on the highway. Even loud music does not cover it up. Sounds like loud wind in the car. Dealer says there is no way to fix the whooshing since it is due to the mirror design.

Mercedes, please, if these 2 issues are not corrected with real solutions I will be bringing the car back for a refund. I have had the car 1 week and it is painful and frustrating to be in the car. Driving to work is stressful enough, you would hope for a relatively quiet ride and some nice music in a Mercedes Benz without buzzing. This is like a cheap compact car and word is getting out all over the internet.

The LED lights also don't shine at all to the right side and you cannot see anything at all in the pitch dark when you turn into a dark driveway. Almost hit the low concrete wall 2x already. There is zero visibility on turns to the right. This will cause major accidents. The light is fine straight ahead but there is no light as you turn to the right until you are already straight. By that time you may already have hit something. Will someone be looking into this issue, the dealer tells me the lights are working and if I had fog lights it would be better but I don't have fog lights.

Car of the year? maybe you provide your reviewers with perfectly attuned mirrors and stereo speakers and they didn't drive or park at night. The loaner they gave me had the same exact problems. I could have been a lifelong Mercedes driver. You have lost a customer.
While I empathise, you really need to be saying this to mercedes and not to a forum they may never read.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jjazzman
Initially thought it was bad speaker and had rub and buzz issue but the vibration noise but sounds more like high hiss coming from around seat adjust switch when I'm on a phone call. Also can be repro having speech recognition menu play back. I'm actually audio engineer and immediately tired to narrow down the frequency that manifests issue and it is around 225Hz...
I hear more of a buzzing sound. It's more pronounced on the right side than the left. I have a video that shows the buzzing is coming from the seat controls that changes the seat height.

You can hear it between 220Hz and 275Hz. Might want to adjust your speaker volume.

Last edited by crxsnow; 04-18-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by crxsnow
I hear more of a buzzing sound. It's more pronounced on the right side than the left. I have a video that shows the buzzing is coming from the seat controls that changes the seat height.

You can hear it between 220Hz and 275Hz. Might want to adjust your speaker volume.
Good work - that should give folks ammunition to tackle dealers.

What did you use to produce the sine wave? Be good if people could replicate for themselves.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 PM

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
The app is called Frequency Sound Generator from the Google Play Store. I used a Bluetooth connection to play it over the speakers.

First noticed the buzzing while listening to a baseball game on an AM station. The satellite radio subscription is no longer active so I can't test that.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:19 PM

The app is called Frequency Sound Generator from the Google Play Store. I used a Bluetooth connection to play it over the speakers.

First noticed the buzzing while listening to a baseball game on an AM station. The satellite radio subscription is no longer active so I can't test that.
Nice job. If there is a way to remove the switch and take it apart, we could probably dampen it from behind with some silicone, etc. even drill some holes in the back (not all the way through) if necessary. But job one would be how to get to the back of the buttons.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or take it to the dealer for resolution as its a new car under warranty not an art project?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Or take it to the dealer for resolution as its a new car under warranty not an art project?
Dealers have no fix for it. I have fixed more minor issues on my cars that dealers couldn't find to count. Being a little resourceful never hurts. For instance, people have been complaining about the misaligned rear bumper for months. In 30 minutes in my garage I had it sorted.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 AM

205 220 C Class
Hi all,

I've just joined here to add some information to the thread.

I've had my 220 C Class in 9 times for this issue and it's still there.

Yesterday, on the advice from a very helpful person on another forum, I downloaded an app called Audio Tool onto my iPhone. It's £1.49 well spent - I finally understand why I get problems with acoustic guitars, some male vocals, spoken word radio shows / podcasts and audio books.

I used the frequency sweep in the app and discovered that my passenger door speaker causes the entire aluminium panel to buzz like a mosquito. This buzzing changes in its nature if you push on the panel or hold the seat positioning switches. On my passenger speaker, the resonance starts at around 190Hz and it buzzes all the way up to around 225Hz. The centre speaker buzzes in a similar manner at around 240-260Hz and the driver's door speaker does it at around 270-280Hz albeit not as badly as the left side or the passenger side.

As these are all bang in the frequency range for male voices and guitars, it's not surprising I'm getting the issue.

I drove to my dealer and said 'I'd like to show you something'. He got in the passenger side and guess what? It was PERFECT between 190Hz and 225Hz when it has been bad 10 minutes before. The only thing that had changed was that he'd got in. He slammed the door a few times and the problem was back - he heard it and agreed it's dreadful.

This explains to me why I've been going nuts for 4 months - whilst it's mostly pretty awful, occasionally it works just fine. All it's needed to 'fix it' was to shut the door in the right way. And to break it again? Repeat this

The centre speaker is a bit of a mystery and I'm suspecting heat or vibration with that - some days it's perfect and other days it's even worse than the speaker in the passenger door.

So if anyone is having this problem but can't quite prove it to your dealer, this app will really help you to show the issue. It's much easier than playing a section of a particular song that upsets it.....

It also explains why my dealer has had such trouble fixing this - they've handed the car back many times saying 'it doesn't do it now we've replaced the speaker / reseated the panel / replaced the panel'. Then the next day it'll be the same again because just slamming the door is enough. I feel their pain in trying to fix it as simple vibration can 'break it' again...... So where to go from here??

I'm hopeful that other dealers will feed this back to MB so they can actually fix this. I'm led to believe from my dealer that the speakers are not actually fixed to the aluminium door panel at all...... They just push in. It's an aluminium door panel and an aluminium speaker. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't fart more than it does!!!

I've had a few other issues but overall it's an awesome car and I'm really hoping they can fix this..... Audio quality is huge for me (obsessed with music and I'm a keen musician in my spare time) and it might seem dramatic to say this but it spoils the car - it is a really big deal for me.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM

205 220 C Class
One further thought and a question.....

What trim have you got if you're having problems / not having problems?

In my case, the resonance is clearly coming via the aluminium trim and that's what's getting me wondering..... Is the problem of door speakers resonating something that is unique to the aluminium trim? Can those who have this say if they have wood trim or aluminium? And does the leather dash on the AMG help with the centre speaker rattle? I have the Sport with the regular dash.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:45 AM

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Gary_W
One further thought and a question.....

What trim have you got if you're having problems / not having problems?

In my case, the resonance is clearly coming via the aluminium trim and that's what's getting me wondering..... Is the problem of door speakers resonating something that is unique to the aluminium trim? Can those who have this say if they have wood trim or aluminium? And does the leather dash on the AMG help with the centre speaker rattle? I have the Sport with the regular dash.
I have the wood trim. My center speaker does not rattle and have no problems with it. I just have a problem with the vibrating seat adjustment buttons at certain frequencies.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 AM

205 220 C Class
I have the wood trim. My center speaker does not rattle and have no problems with it. I just have a problem with the vibrating seat adjustment buttons at certain frequencies.
Thanks for the reply.

As of right now, there hasn't been a reply on this thread or this one

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...eo-issues.html

where a person with wood trim has the problem. Still only at the 'interesting co-incidence' stage of this as opposed to anything conclusive
Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM

C400 2015
Angry Speaker Rattle - plastic clip

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I too have experienced this buzz/rattle thing in a brand new C400. I first noticed it driving off the lot right after purchase at low volumes. It occurred in both right and left doors.

After a few weeks I took the car to our local dealership in Valencia, CA and the technicians had the car for nearly 4 days (no loaner available) and diagnosed the problem as a plastic clip near the speaker that had broken in the doors. The clip took two days to arrive from Alabama. Everything was fine for about 3 days, then I got a phone call in the car and as you know, the compression for voice calls is very strong. I believe the dramatic volume increase when taking a call while listening to music is what is breaking these plastic clips. As soon as the call started, the rattle came back and has continued ever since.

I tried to return the car to the dealership for another 'fix'. Unfortunately I wasn't able to wait 20 minutes to get checked in (had a flight) so my 70k C400 stereo still sounds like crap. I can't stand talking on the phone in the car now because of this and if I do listen to the stereo, I have to turn it up louder than the rattle so I don't go crazy.

Last week a friend rented a 2015 C300 and complained about his rattling speakers. I guess is a pretty common problem worthy of a recall. This is my first luxury vehicle and I'm very disappointed in Mercedes about it.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 PM

C400 2015
How to prove to the dealership it's a problem

I made a quick video showing you how to replicate the rattle 100% of the time if your dealership says they don't hear it.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Has anyone foubd a permanent fix?

Originally Posted by MFI2015
I made a quick video showing you how to replicate the rattle 100% of the time if your dealership says they don't hear it.

Mercedes 2015 C400 speaker rattle demonstration - YouTube
I have had my c300 for 8 days and I cannot friggen take it anymore. Has anyone's dealership fixed it? Nashville TN
Old 10-02-2015, 12:29 AM

C300
Originally Posted by MFI2015
Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I too have experienced this buzz/rattle thing in a brand new C400. I first noticed it driving off the lot right after purchase at low volumes. It occurred in both right and left doors.

After a few weeks I took the car to our local dealership in Valencia, CA and the technicians had the car for nearly 4 days (no loaner available) and diagnosed the problem as a plastic clip near the speaker that had broken in the doors. The clip took two days to arrive from Alabama. Everything was fine for about 3 days, then I got a phone call in the car and as you know, the compression for voice calls is very strong. I believe the dramatic volume increase when taking a call while listening to music is what is breaking these plastic clips. As soon as the call started, the rattle came back and has continued ever since.

I tried to return the car to the dealership for another 'fix'. Unfortunately I wasn't able to wait 20 minutes to get checked in (had a flight) so my 70k C400 stereo still sounds like crap. I can't stand talking on the phone in the car now because of this and if I do listen to the stereo, I have to turn it up louder than the rattle so I don't go crazy.

Last week a friend rented a 2015 C300 and complained about his rattling speakers. I guess is a pretty common problem worthy of a recall. This is my first luxury vehicle and I'm very disappointed in Mercedes about it.
Did you find a fix?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 AM

C300
Originally Posted by jjazzman
Initially thought it was bad speaker and had rub and buzz issue but the vibration noise but sounds more like high hiss coming from around seat adjust switch when I'm on a phone call. Also can be repro having speech recognition menu play back. I'm actually audio engineer and immediately tired to narrow down the frequency that manifests issue and it is around 225Hz. Took it to AutoNation Mercedes in San Jose for fix and was told Mercedes Germany told the dealership it's normal operation and no fix for this. Uh.. I have several colleague who worked at audio in automotive industry (actually one person designed and tuned Lexus LFA speaker) and was told that's total BS. I'm extremely disappointed in Mercedes.
Did you find a fix?! It's driving me crazy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burmeister Speaker Rattle/Buzzing - Video Recorded